JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
An acquaintance of mine, the late Ronald Wharton, was a bespoke gunmaker of the Rigby school, having been apprenticed there and working there for much of his life until the Ayrabs walked through the front door with all the money, and he walked out the back with all his tools.

He set up on his own in Dorking, Surrey, and soon established a faithful clientele, afficionados of Rigby-style rifles without the Rigby-style prices, mind you, his basic gun, twenty years ago, started off at £6,000 - then $12,000.

Today you can happily part with around $120K for a nice Rigby in their revitalised action.

FYI, Sir, the line is long.
I have no idea where I would go these days to find a rifle maker like the one who restored my old rolling block. That guy passed away and I haven't found anyone else that would be capable of, or willing to do that kind of work.

I haven't read through all the posts so maybe I'll be a bit late. I'd really like to see the Colt Lightening made with modern steels etc. and then Chambered in the current crop of handgun Calibers - .38/.357 Magnum, .41 Magnum, .44 Magnum and .45 Colt.

Then, I'd like to see it's Big Brother, the Express Rifle, modern steels etc., Chambered in .45-70 Government. I think that the Original was Chambered in that Cartridge but not intended for the more powerful loading now available.

I have no idea where I would go these days to find a rifle maker like the one who restored my old rolling block. That guy passed away and I haven't found anyone else that would be capable of, or willing to do that kind of work.

That's a real pity, because the USA has no shortage of fine craftsmen and women in every field of mechanical endeavour. Sure it costs, time and money, but isn't it worth it in the end?

That's a real pity, because the USA has no shortage of fine craftsmen and women in every field of mechanical endeavour. Sure it costs, time and money, but isn't it worth it in the end?
This restoration ended up in the $2500-$3000 range, but it was absolutely worth it to shoot a rifle owned by my great-grandfather's brother, and then my grandfather and father as well.

I got one reply from a fellow who said, "Install a barrel liner? I don't do that kind of work, and don't know of anybody who would." I don't know whether he was saying it was beyond the type of work he was equipped to do, or something he considered stupid, a waste of time, or unsafe. I will say that my rifle builder thoroughly researched all the specs, re-heat treated all the parts he reused, and made some new parts from modern steel. We lined the barrel in order to save the 28" full octagon, tapered barrel, which was thoroughly corroded on the inside, the rifle having sat in a semi-abandoned cabin for decades after my grandfather died.

I suppose someone makes a "Chicago Typewriter" in 9mm? That would be fun in classic blue steel and wood (especially if the requirement for NFA stamps were abolished... as long as I'm dreaming).

I know this one is backwards too, but I really think that Ruger needs to chamber a few of their new Wrangler revolvers in .32 S&W Long. I would buy one today if they made them.
IMHO If anything they should be Chambered in the .327 Federal Magnum, which will, of course, allow you to shoot .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long and .32 H&R Magnum.

I have a Marlin 1894CS Lever Action in the .32 H&R Magnum and a Ruger Single Six in the .327 Federal Magnum. I would like Marlin to bring back the 1894CS in .327 Federal Magnum WITHOUT the Lawyer Lock - the ones I own don't have it and I see no use for it!

I wouldn't mind seeing the Ruger #1 and a #3 Rifles in the .22 Rimfire, .22 Magnum, .327 Federal Magnum, .44 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .45 Colt etc.

IMHO If anything they should be Chambered in the .327 Federal Magnum, which will, of course, allow you to shoot .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long and .32 H&R Magnum.

I thought about that, but the Wrangler is a light gun with an alloy frame, and probably not up to the high pressures of magnum rounds. The old .32 S&W Long is a low pressure round which would likely work in the Wrangler as it is. To beef up the Wrangler for a hot round, it would likely end up being a lot more expensive, defeating the purpose.

I'd be very happy with a simple little affordable single action in .32 S&W Long. IMO convertibles are overrated. It's a lot like the .22lr Wrangler; they don't come with .22 Magnum cylinders, because nobody actually uses them (well, almost nobody). I've talked to several friends about the new Wrangler, and like clockwork everyone asks if they come with a spare magnum cylinder. When I say no, they don't, because nobody uses them, they inevitably reply, "That's true, I'd probably never use it ever, but I like having the option!" It's funny, because every one of these guys has a safe full of other options, if they decide they need a bigger gun. :)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top