JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok I know the title of this sounds odd as we all give much thought to the items we intend to stock up on for when the trucks stop running. I am curious about which items people are NOT stocking up on.

I keep picturing people fighting each other over bottled water and cans of SPAM and chili and fruit cocktail when things get bad. I want to have a lot of this sort of thing already put away so I will not need to join that fray. SOme items for one reason or another (likely due to limited shelf life) I wonder if they might be best gotten at the last minute.

For example, I plan to stock up on oils, cooking, olive oil at the last minute. I am also thinking spices and bullion as well.

Other ideas?

Stock what you use and rotate stock - first in, first out.

Planning to stock up "at the last minute" sounds like a plan doomed to failure to me. Having a back up shaker of your favorite spices and a spare costco container of oil will keep you eating well for several months.

As far as foods are concerned buy what you normally eat and rotate it through consumption while keeping your supplies stocked through normal shopping. Cooking oils will last a long time if stored in a cool dark place. for dried fruits etc use a vacume packer to extend shelf life. Use a pressure cooker to cook dried beans and tough meats. Canned fruits would be low on my list. Check the LDS website for shelf lifes.

Everyone forgets whole grains like wheat, oats, etc. They can be sprouted (easy to do, check the web) in a fruit jar, are 5 times more nutritious than most foods. You can even sprout pinto beans. These grains store for a VERY long time. Wheat found in the pyramids was discovered and sprouted after thousands of years. Keep it dry, away from critters and bugs and you have great protein and vit's. Wheat, the right grade of P. Milk (stores for 20 yrs if drypacked correctly), honey, salt, oil of some kind and water should be your "core" storage. Learn how to make gluten from wheat etc.

I have a step by step list of core basics and by adding just a couple of basic items, yeast, B. powder, powdered eggs and b. soda, you can make a variety of things: sprouts, gluten (meat substitute), custards/puddings, pancakes, cookies, waffles, muffins (Eng or otherwise) crepes, pasta, breads, biscuits, crackers, mayo and egg noodles. I have more. PM me if you want the complete list. Canned butter requires no refrig once it's canned and stores for 3 years! (Obviously,refrig once it's opened or use up right away.) There's more! It's a matter of learning and being willing to try new things.

For spices I always go to winco and go to the bulk foods section. You can get several shakers worth of your favorite spices for the price of one retail packed one. Just on average I go there about once every 3 months or so and pick up a spice bag of my most used spices and they last a long time. I just refill my shakers with them when they get empty, and I use them very generously, but they sill last a long time. If you plan ahead, you can fill up several bigger containers of them and have them for months/years to come for not much more than buying the retail ones.

Ok guys,
I am in agreement with every one of you. I too am stocked up on many items including oil and spices. I am thinking for a long duration (Year or so) of items being hard to find that some things I would want to wait until the last minute to bulk up on due to expiration dates. I understand the need to rotate stock and use what I have but some things I dont use a lot of as I am not an avid cook but I know I need to have things on hand. I was thinking oils and spices would not (Necessarily) be the most in demand at the last minute, type of items..... rather than let oil go rancid in my storage from lack of use...I should wait to store volume beyond my standard ability to rotate. I guess I should have been more clear what I was thinking...my apologies.

Meemoe, Yeast...thats another one i might wait to stock up on (To levels beyond my ability to rotate normally) at the last minute.

So the question still stands... what if anything is worth waiting until the last minute to get at ll OR like in my case to stock up on to levels above Pre SHTF levels standard rotation levels? ****, maybe it should just be everything we can get at that point?

If you feel confident in your food storage/rotation, plan for extra clothing and shoes.
When the panic sets in most folks will go for the food off the shelves (probably take all of about 2 hours to deplete) but extra clothing, shoes, T.paper meds, or whatever may still be plentiful.

I don't like shopping at the first of the month. I "REFUSE" to go to the store the day before or on Thanksgiving, X-mas, Super bowl Sunday, ect.

The "THOUGHT" of trying to acquire "last minute items" in a SHTF scenario, gets my heart rate up. Good luck fighting the crowds, I'll be at home, or one of the other predetermined places. :D

Why stock up on stuff? I can walk outside and down the road and find about 50 different edible plants that grow wild. In Washington it would be real easy to eat whatever you find growing in the forest and be able to live indefinitely. How do you think the Natives use to do it before the white man came along?

Why stock up on stuff? I can walk outside and down the road and find about 50 different edible plants that grow wild. In Washington it would be real easy to eat whatever you find growing in the forest and be able to live indefinitely. How do you think the Natives use to do it before the white man came along?

I don't want to burst your bubble, but there are a LOT more people now. If you think the "white man" is bad now wait & see what happens when rules don’t' apply.

If you are bugging in, or out, I'd say one thing to stock pile instead of gasoline would be propane. Gasoline can go bad after it sits for an extended period of time unless you rotate it regularly (more on that later), propane stores almost indefinitely. You can get a propane powered generator vs a gasoline model as well as propane lights, heaters, bbqs/camp stoves, and have all the power you need from propane and propane accessories.

It won't power any vehicles, so there is the need to have gas from them, but you can rotate that easily, by filling up your vehicles with gas cans instead of at the pump, and when you're at the pump, fill up the cans instead of your tank. It's a little cumbersome, but it will keep your supply fresh.

That reminds me, I need to go get some more propane today. :s0155:

I understand the concept of not being able to rotate some items regularly, but I would have to agree with most that waiting to stock up on items until the 'last minute' could be devastating.

Unless you are willing to give into the fact that when you go to stock up on said items at the last minute, you may be s.o.l.

It may be a stretch, but under some SHTF circumstances, there may not be any plants to eat

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top