JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Howdy all
Was looking at all the shooting pics posted and see a distinct lack of Cowboy Action Shooters there...so I posted one of me and my trusty dubble barral.
There are quite a few shoots up and down the I-5 corridor,so if you want to see one,I can point ya to 1 or 2.
Albany,Or range is hosting the State Champiionship this coming weekend,and some of the top shooters are a HOOT to watch.You would not believe how fast 'cowboy shooters' can be made to run .

I"m gonna try to maKe the Captiol City gc shoot next weekend...on Aug. 23rd if work don't interfere again.Visitors are always welcome,bring eyes and ears.

Throckmorton,Sass no. 23149

I'd love to spectate if there's one near Portland. You should post up about the events in the events section.

I've got a 1894C in .357... but haven't picked up the other three guns you need to compete. Every time I get the itch to try this, the cost of acquiring all of the guns/gear puts a stop to it. I wish they had a one-gun option so you could try it w/o committing to the whole deal.

Howdy,
My wife and I are both SASS members. Haven't done much shooting over the past few years, but we both want to get back into it again.
Hopefully, we'll have a chance to meet-up at a match sometime.
Here's a list of our gear bye-the-way:
2 Colt SAA (.357 mag)
2 Hartford SAA (.357 mag)
2 Winchester Model 1892 Carbines (44-40 and 38-40)
2 Winchester Model 1892 Rifles (44-40 and 38-40)
1 Winchester Model 1897 12-gauge Shotgun
1 Ranger Side-By-Side Double-Barrel 12-gauge Shotgun
Coyote Dave (SASS #12605) & Little Darlin (SASS #12619)

I keep watching videos and reading about this sport. It looks like a lot of fun. If I ever win the lottery I will definitly have to try it. The only thing holding me back is the thousands of dollars it appears to take just to start.

I don't participate in SASS "yet', but there are Cowboy action shoots taking place at Tri-County Gun Club in Sherwood, OR. Check the calendar @ www.tcgc.org
If you live in the area, this is a wonderful place to shoot.
and yes, I am a member.

Last Edited:
Wolverton mountain club shoots this coming saturday,April 11th.No charge to spectate,just bring eyes and ears. I'll try to be there,work permitting.
Shooting gets underway at 10: am

I believe Tri country gave up their SASS affiliation and now shoot strictly Western 3gun a whole 'nuther game from the SASS crowd I shoot with..they shoot on the move whereas we pretty much 'stand and deliver'

several area shooters are REALLY fast with their cowboy guns,and if Buffalo Wings shows up,ya gotta watch quick ! whew

If your interested, look closely at some of the ranges that host it. My dad puts on a practice on the friday before their monthly shoot (ok, yes he's in AZ, but check your area). After giving some good instruction, and a bit of show and tell, he will help show a new shooter how to shoot safely, and teach the faster ways to shoot competively. With the ammo being scarce, he was even providing the ammo, and sometimes even the guns.

I went to tcgc to watch and ended up shooting a match. The other shooters all let me use gear to try it. If you go to the orygun cowboys website and e-mail anybody there with questions the first thing they all say is don't buy any guns until you come down and try it. they are more than happy to set you up and let you try anything you want of theres. try different stuff before you buy something. Last time i went all I had was a cowboy hat, and sthey hooked me up with guns, leather, and ammo. really a great group of guys. and its fun. you really can't shoot it more than once without starting the list of guns in your head.

Several years ago I became interested in CAS and had a customer who was a member of the local Bend club and he invited me out to a shoot at COSSA. It was fun and several members let me try out their gear and I shot several trial courses and was close to getting involved until I went to a club meeting. Unfortunately the "politics" of the meeting somewhat turned me off and I noticed something interesting with several of the members - many of them had never been into any type of shooting sport prior to becoming involved with CASS - my impression was the the "cowboy" aspect was the primary emphasis with these members and the shooting was a by product of the whole 'package'. Since I was already involved in other shooting sports I decided I was not ready for that kind of commitment and expense of money and time. I spoke to this person recently who originally invited me and he mentioned he and a group of members also had become dissatisfied with those politics and split off and started their own club concentrating more on the shooting. I have read elsewhere this has happened with other CAS clubs.

Several years ago I became interested in CAS and had a customer who was a member of the local Bend club and he invited me out to a shoot at COSSA. It was fun and several members let me try out their gear and I shot several trial courses and was close to getting involved until I went to a club meeting. Unfortunately the "politics" of the meeting somewhat turned me off and I noticed something interesting with several of the members - many of them had never been into any type of shooting sport prior to becoming involved with CASS - my impression was the the "cowboy" aspect was the primary emphasis with these members and the shooting was a by product of the whole 'package'. Since I was already involved in other shooting sports I decided I was not ready for that kind of commitment and expense of money and time. I spoke to this person recently who originally invited me and he mentioned he and a group of members also had become dissatisfied with those politics and split off and started their own club concentrating more on the shooting. I have read elsewhere this has happened with other CAS clubs.

its truely amazing how much "in fighting" amoung the cas and sass people there is concerning clubs and politics ect. i think its just part of cas and sass is to fight with the other cas ans sass clubs and match directors.

what even more amazing to me is that the cas people consider some of their best friends in the world to be people they know only by there "cas name".:huh:

i will probably get involved in cas as soon as i start shooting the local service rifle hi power circuit all decked out to the nines in vietnam era MC BDU's and introducing myself as Lông Trắng.

dont take my comments completley out of context. i think shooting sports are great and there is something for everyone. from the experiences ive had with some of the people involved (and im not going to mention any names)cas is just not for me.

regards,

Black Bart
Two FInger Sally
Lông Trắng
Sargent York
Wyatt Earp
and
Cheif Joseph

There also appeared to be a certain amount of "polarization" between the members IE. between those who had the best guns, clothes and equipment and those who were on an obvious budget. Unfortunately these issues, as well as the aforementioned are what killed the interest for me - which was really unfortunate as I have always appreciated the "Cowboy" history as well as SA guns and lever rifles. Several of the members tried to change my mind but I respectfully declined.

I hae seen some of the negatives described here,but thankfully they are few and far between.
The shoots local to vancouver/portland are all fun,great bunch of Pards,and YES I only know them by thier aliases...it's how we play our game.Come with minimal garb,shoot mismatched 'off the rack guns',and say Howdy a lot....works for me ! :)

Who's making fun of someones hat? Hi there Throckmorton, haven't seen ya in awhile. Yep, I discovered this form a few months ago. Only been shooting CAS for 15 years now, time does fly. Good cowboy clubs in Albany, Bend, Ariel and Canby, but I can't recommend the club in Sherwood, they're -------different:huh:

'different ' is putting it lightly ,Mudflat.
I fondly remember the old days there,great shoots,good folks to plaver with,and the last regional we put on there was a good 'un.

Good to see ya on here,"flat.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads