JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
nancy-pelosi.jpg

This, Kommiefornians won't get rid of her. She's the :s0087:

any manufacturer that wanted to sell weapons to CA had to retool their machines and come up with new designs so they could sell them in CA.

(side note Glock was one of the only manufacturer that did not have to change their designs even though they didn't have the visible chamber inspection deal, because they had a running deal with CA, and had a ton of their weapons out through police issue)

This is incorrect too btw. Requirements for the approval have been modified several times, last time being in 2007. But any handgun that was already on the approved list was not affected by the changes, as long as manufacturer or importer kept paying the dues. That's how Glocks sold in California don't have loaded chamber indicators, magazine disconnects, etc. However, that doesn't mean all Glocks. There is a lawsuit in progress, Peña v. Cid, where plaintiff is suing the state because he is unable to purchase a left-handed Glock (he doesn't have the right arm).

Well I tell ya.If the Californians had come north and only raised the housing prices through the roof,and left their stupid ideas on guns home they would only be half bad.
But since they came up here,raised the housing WAY farther than it should have gone,AND brought Californian government ideals,we like to bash them.
Why did y'all leave anyway? You went to California and ruined it,now you want to ruin Oregon and Washington's politics

California sucks,most of the people suck down there,the weather sucks 3/4 of the year,traffic sucks.It's the epitome of the materialistic American. Anything that can be overdone was probably invented down there.

Let it fall into the sea.

And the answer to the OP's rhetorical question is the idiots that run the state

The Californians started coming here in waves in the mid to late sixties. Its nothing new. I watched our little country grade school in farming country go from 79-80 kids in 1-8 go to 120-125 in two years. And they were in all grades not some wild power outage birth spurt. That was about 66-69. They been here long enough when you got here you thought they were natives LOL.

When we go hiking in the woods, I open carry just in case we run into two or four legged monsters. I guess I'll have only take one of my sub compacts that have less then 10 rds capability.

Be careful. As I understand it a handgun needs to be listed as approved on the AG's list of approved handguns ... not all handguns are listed. I do not think California allows open carry either, unless you are hunting in the appropriate places (better have a hunting license). Since you are not simply passing through the state, that might be considered a concealed carry weapon.

Bottom line: One has to be cautious in California. I suggest you contact the California DOJ and get their written opinion/instructions and approval of your chosen handgun (or scan their list of approved handguns).

Be careful. As I understand it a handgun needs to be listed as approved on the AG's list of approved handguns ... not all handguns are listed. I do not think California allows open carry either, unless you are hunting in the appropriate places (better have a hunting license). Since you are not simply passing through the state, that might be considered a concealed carry weapon.

Bottom line: One has to be cautious in California. I suggest you contact the California DOJ and get their written opinion/instructions and approval of your chosen handgun (or scan their list of approved handguns).

Man, you can't be serious. If you are, please read what I posted about the list of approved handguns on the previous page.

As for Open Carry, it is illegal to carry a loaded firearm where discharge is prohibited. That eliminates all incorporated territories. For unincorporated territories one would have to verify with the specific county, as discharge ordnances vary between counties as well. Also got to verify the status of the territory where hike is to happen. OC is not allowed in state parks, and BLM / National Forests may have restrictions on shooting in specific areas, rendering OC prohibited in those places of those territories.

Contacting DOJ will likely not produce any useful information, and in fact is known to produce FUD instead.

The Firearms Owners Protection Act allows you to transport firearms through a state that are not legal in that state as long as they are properly stored. You cannot stop for other than travel related reasons.

Abiqua,

The Firearm Owner's Protection Act (FOPA) is something of a "Paper Tiger".

The U.S. Supreme Court recently declined to hear two civil cases that arose out of FOPA. As a result:

1) FOPA will not prevent you from being arrested.

2) FOPA will not prevent your weapons from being seized.

3) FOPA will provide you with an affirmative defense at your criminal trial.

4) You will not be able to file a civil lawsuit (at least in federal court) for a violation of your civil rights.

Guys,

Help me out....the last handgun I bought at the gun show had on the box "illegal in Calif".

What makes the gun illegal? When I lived in Calif...don't tell anybody...I owned similar handguns (Colt 1911, Berretta, etc...), they weren't illegal. Also read an article about SBR's (AR's) being illegal.

If I move or have to travel through California, it appears I'd have to ship the guns. Don't want a felony charge just for transporting my guns to other state when I move.

Help me out...

Thanks,

Flyguy,

There are basically three different ways that a firearm can be "illegal" in California:

1) Handguns not on the "Safe Gun" roster - These are illegal for sale by an FFL. You can lawfully bring weapons already owned by you into the state provided they are in a legal configuration. You can also purchase them from a private party. You have to register handguns with the state and pay a fee.

2) Illegally Configured Weapons - These are typically the so-called "assault weapons'. California law is really confusing on their definition. Calguns.net is an excellent resource to identify potential problems. Some commonly encountered problems are the Taurus Judge (California defines it as a short-barreled shotgun) and semi-auto pistols (like a compensated 1911) that have threaded barrels.

3) Large-Capacity Magazines - With few exceptions, anything over ten rounds is illegal. The law does not specifically make posession of such magazines illegal, it's just that you pretty much cannot legally acquire them.

Refer to Torraco et al v. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey (615 F. 3d 129) - This is the case that addressed the lack of civil remedies and is the case that I referenced. It consolidated two cases (John Torraco and William Winstanley) that had similar claims.

You may also want to check out Revell v. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey (598 F. 3d 128) - This case isn't as clear on point as Torraco, and it makes a distinction where the traveler stopped and thus placed himself outside the protection of the FOPA.

Refer to Torraco et al v. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey (615 F. 3d 129) - This is the case that addressed the lack of civil remedies and is the case that I referenced. It consolidated two cases (John Torraco and William Winstanley) that had similar claims.

Thanks!

You may also want to check out Revell v. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey (598 F. 3d 128) - This case isn't as clear on point as Torraco, and it makes a distinction where the traveler stopped and thus placed himself outside the protection of the FOPA.

Yeah, I know that one.

Your big deal is any magazine that can take more than ten rounds. DON'T take them into Calif. NOT AT ALL.

Seriously, the gun laws are so vague and messed up in that state that no two police agencies an agree. My best advice? Don't use your tourist dollars to support a state which shots all over the US constitution as a matter of policy.

I don't travel to California unless I have a dead relative. Nevada, WA, ID, Or and MT all have beautiful sights. Why not spend your money in places which don't routinely piss on the constitution?

Well, some posters here have it almost right.

The current run of politicos on the Democrat side that cause problems are DBA liberal only. Classic liberals are accepting of others, these are not.

As I understand it firearms can be excluded from the DOJ's list of Californian legal firearms based on color. Again, as I understand it, EACH AND EVERY model and version is required to pass the extortion, er, drop test. If blued version passes, stainless still needs to be "tested".

In order to purchase a firearm from an FFL in California you must demonstrate that you have a locking device or must purchase one along with the firearm. I was required to purchase a cheap cable lock when I tool possession of my M66 with S&W lock, but then I may just have dealt with a FFL that was pissy about my not buying it from him and wanted his profit.

Then, clearing up notions about Californians. Most of the state outside the sprawling metro areas is pretty much like Oregon except that the preemptive state laws are spawned by the metro elites, particularly San Francisco.

When I was a kid I pretty watched Orange County go to hell as out of staters moved in, increased the metro sprawl and turned Orange County into a suburb of Los Angeles.

Now many counties try to ignore the state and among other things pretty much turn the "may issue" CHL into "shall issue". Some counties are famous for this.

Guys,

Help me out....the last handgun I bought at the gun show had on the box "illegal in Calif".

What makes the gun illegal? When I lived in Calif...don't tell anybody...I owned similar handguns (Colt 1911, Berretta, etc...), they weren't illegal. Also read an article about SBR's (AR's) being illegal.

If I move or have to travel through California, it appears I'd have to ship the guns. Don't want a felony charge just for transporting my guns to other state when I move.

Help me out...

Thanks,

California's stupid laws.

liberal democrats!

*sigh* No. "CALIFORNIAN LAWMAKERS" would be the proper answer.

There are PLENTY of liberal democrats who are pro-gun-rights. (See The Liberal Gun Club <broken link removed> <broken link removed> The Gun Toting Liberal Gun Loving Liberal &#8211; Because our Constitution matters. Liberals With Guns Pink Pistols and more. Although Pink Pistols aren't guaranteed liberal, definitely overwhelmingly so.)

By writing off all liberal democrats as anti-gun, you alienate many potential allies in pushing pro-gun legislation. The RIGHT is just as responsible for convincing liberals they should be anti-gun as the left is. Republican extremists yell loudly about how they are massively pro-gun, so some liberals knee-jerk adopt an anti-gun stance solely in reaction. There are plenty of us fighting that stereotype - plenty of us who argue that gun rights *ARE* liberal.

*sigh* No. "CALIFORNIAN LAWMAKERS" would be the proper answer.

There are PLENTY of liberal democrats who are pro-gun-rights. (See The Liberal Gun Club <broken link removed> <broken link removed> The Gun Toting Liberal Gun Loving Liberal &#8211; Because our Constitution matters. Liberals With Guns Pink Pistols and more. Although Pink Pistols aren't guaranteed liberal, definitely overwhelmingly so.)

By writing off all liberal democrats as anti-gun, you alienate many potential allies in pushing pro-gun legislation. The RIGHT is just as responsible for convincing liberals they should be anti-gun as the left is. Republican extremists yell loudly about how they are massively pro-gun, so some liberals knee-jerk adopt an anti-gun stance solely in reaction. There are plenty of us fighting that stereotype - plenty of us who argue that gun rights *ARE* liberal.

Not only that, but one also shouldn't forget that a number of prohibitive gun laws in California were authored or signed by Republicans.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top