JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Guys,

Help me out....the last handgun I bought at the gun show had on the box "illegal in Calif".

What makes the gun illegal? When I lived in Calif...don't tell anybody...I owned similar handguns (Colt 1911, Berretta, etc...), they weren't illegal. Also read an article about SBR's (AR's) being illegal.

If I move or have to travel through California, it appears I'd have to ship the guns. Don't want a felony charge just for transporting my guns to other state when I move.

Help me out...

Thanks,

Do some Google searches for better info, list of example weapons, etc.

They have a strict ban on some weapons that fit the "assault weapon" label. Also any magazine, pistol or rifle, with more than 10rd capacity is illegal. I'm also thinking there is something about flash suppressors that is illegal.

Anything .50 caliber is illegal in CA, i.e. the Barrett .50 sniper rifle.

SBR are illegal in WA and CA, no change there. Suppressors are legal now here in WA, illegal in CA.

Don't ever move to CA unless you like losing all your firearms rights. Also would heavily suggest against traveling through CA with your firearms as well. You could get a CHP that is a real dick and haul your arse to jail.

It might help nail down the answer IF WE KNEW WHAT YOUR PISTOL IS!

The quick answer is its not on the approved list

the two most common reason for not being approved would be Mag capacity and the manufacturer did not submit an example to the CA DOJ for testing to see if it met their laws rules and warm fuzzy feelings.

Short answer, drop test

Effective January 1, 2001, no handgun may be manufactured within California, imported into California for sale, lent, given, kept for sale, or offered/exposed for sale unless that handgun model has passed firing, safety, and drop tests and is certified for sale in California by the Department of Justice. Private party transfers, curio/relic handguns, certain single-action revolvers, and pawn/consignment returns are exempt from this requirement.

Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale - Firearms Division - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General

Effective January 1, 2001, no handgun may be manufactured within California, imported into California for sale, lent, given, kept for sale, or offered/exposed for sale unless that handgun model has passed firing, safety, and drop tests and is certified for sale in California by the Department of Justice. Private party transfers, curio/relic handguns, certain single-action revolvers, and pawn/consignment returns are exempt from this requirement.

KelTec among others have given the bird to California's testing requirements. One of the deciding factors KelTec opted not to bother with California sales was that CA DOJ deemed that because the "model number" had a suffix indicating the various grip colors examples of each color of each model would have to be submitted for testing. I believe they must submit 3 samples of each model and pay some insane price for the testing of each model in order to be allowed sale privilege in CA. I contacted one of the 3 labs designated for testing to verify cost of testing and was told that "it varies - but a minimum of several thousand dollars". Last I had heard was a minimum of $5,000 plus test ammo, etc.
Long story short they really want to make it difficult to sell guns in CA. I think the politicians are hoping that by placing enough hoops to jump through in the process most will give up and that all the "bad" guns will go away and crime will stop and everyone will be warm and fuzzy with no crime.... blah blah blah...

IF you are moving or driving though CA, you can bring your handguns/longguns, just not magazines over 10 rounds. Most handguns that are illegal haven't passed the drop test, which means they can't be sold via a FFL in CA, you can still bring them if you move or are driving though. You can sell them private party (transfered via FFL) to someone else also.

Your right no SBRs, you can bring your AR as long as it is not listed as a named/banned AR, if it one of the "Off List" ARs then it will also need to comply with current law.

You don't have to ship the guns, you will have to make them compliant with CA laws, and transport them correctly, handguns in locked containers, unloaded.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12275.php

having lived in CA i know of a few more things besides hi cap magazine that make pistols illegal down there.

#1 as stated before not having the ability to fit more than 10 rounds in any semi auto, (pistol or rifle) that has a *removable * magazine. --- ull see guys puting extra devices that "lock" the mag in place on their ar's so they can use hi cap mags. (because its not easily detachable) and so on.

#2 there are some issues with "Safety" mechanisms. not sure of this entirely, but i think this is why revolvers now have those friking key locks. and i think it had to do with guns having a safety (like my old Sig p220 that didnt have any safety mechanism, when people would ask i would just point to my head and tell them this is the saftey) and i think they say something about having more than just a "trigger" safety, basically they were trying to say that there has to be a certain amount of force applied so that a child can not trigger it. i think thats why you see alot of grip safety like the old HK P7 i think it was)

#3 there has to be some sort of "visible" way to check to see if there is a round in the chamber. like my Springfield xd has a little lever on the top that pops up if there is a round in the chamber.

#4 there has to be some sort of visible or tactile way to check to see if the hammer is cocked. (like on my XD has a little button that pops out the back when the hammer is cocked)

their might be some other points but thats what i remember, im so glad to be back in the North West.

oh ya an all guns in CA must be kept in a safe or have some sort o trigger or cable lock through them.

any manufacturer that wanted to sell weapons to CA had to retool their machines and come up with new designs so they could sell them in CA.

(side note Glock was one of the only manufacturer that did not have to change their designs even though they didn't have the visible chamber inspection deal, because they had a running deal with CA, and had a ton of their weapons out through police issue)

having lived in CA i know of a few more things besides hi cap magazine that make pistols illegal down there.

#1 as stated before not having the ability to fit more than 10 rounds in any semi auto, (pistol or rifle) that has a *removable * magazine. --- ull see guys puting extra devices that "lock" the mag in place on their ar's so they can use hi cap mags. (because its not easily detachable) and so on.

#2 there are some issues with "Safety" mechanisms. not sure of this entirely, but i think this is why revolvers now have those friking key locks. and i think it had to do with guns having a safety (like my old Sig p220 that didnt have any safety mechanism, when people would ask i would just point to my head and tell them this is the saftey) and i think they say something about having more than just a "trigger" safety, basically they were trying to say that there has to be a certain amount of force applied so that a child can not trigger it. i think thats why you see alot of grip safety like the old HK P7 i think it was)

#3 there has to be some sort of "visible" way to check to see if there is a round in the chamber. like my Springfield xd has a little lever on the top that pops up if there is a round in the chamber.

#4 there has to be some sort of visible or tactile way to check to see if the hammer is cocked. (like on my XD has a little button that pops out the back when the hammer is cocked)

their might be some other points but thats what i remember, im so glad to be back in the North West.

oh ya an all guns in CA must be kept in a safe or have some sort o trigger or cable lock through them.

any manufacturer that wanted to sell weapons to CA had to retool their machines and come up with new designs so they could sell them in CA.

(side note Glock was one of the only manufacturer that did not have to change their designs even though they didn't have the visible chamber inspection deal, because they had a running deal with CA, and had a ton of their weapons out through police issue)

Wow, that's a fail. Guns don't have to be stored in a safe or locked with a cable lock in CA. Handguns must be locked in a container for transportation when concealed. It used to be allowed to have them unlocked (and unloaded) in the open (except for school zones), but the law has changed last year. Long guns still can be carried/transported unlocked (unloaded) outside school zones (federal law).

The only handgun (other than NFA) that's truly illegal in California is Taurus Judge, being classified under state law as SBS. All other handguns are legal, allowed for possession (by residents and visitors), importation by people moving into the state, transfer between private parties in California. The only thing that is not allowed is sale or transfer from out of state by an FFL of a handgun that is not on the DOJ list of approved handguns to a person who is not exempted from such requirement (mostly LEOs). That does not apply to handguns classified as Curios and Relics, which can be sold by FFLs regardless of their approval status.

Stamping or otherwise indicating that a handgun is not for sale or illegal in California does not really carry any weight. Even Taurus can theoretically be imported and sold to an entity in possession of unobtanium dangerous weapons permit (I bet there are quite a few of those in Hollywood).

Oh, and one more thing. There is a legal workaround to circumvent the approved list of handguns, allowing CA residents to acquire any handgun they like. It's based on the fact singleshot handguns are not subject to the requirement. Barrel of extended length and a magazine well plug are installed for the purpose of transfer of an arbitrary "singleshot" handgun, and once in possession, the owner converts it to original configuration. Several FFL's offer such service :)

Thanks for the informaition.

I asked becasue my wife and I vacation at Mt. Shasta every year for a couple of weeks. Every time we go I carry conceal to the Calif state line then place my handguns in the 5th wheeler till we get to the camp ground. When we go hiking in the woods, I open carry just in case we run into two or four legged monsters. I guess I'll have only take one of my sub compacts that have less then 10 rds capability.

And NO WAY would I ever move back to that state!!!! Too much B$.

Glock does in fact have a visible loaded chamber indicator. What they don't have is a hammer cocked indicator, because it's a striker fire design of course.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top