JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Things I dislike:
1) Slow-fire required. Shooters should be able to double- and triple-tap. In fact, as long as all other safety rules are being followed, shooters should be able to shoot as fast as they want, including mag-dumps.
2) Must buy ammo from range. I would rather pay more for a range fee if I am able to bring my own ammo, including factory ammo, defense hollow points, and even my own reloads.
3) No holster draws. I can imagine having some sort of requirements around somehow proving a level of safety before being allow to draw from a holster, but only shooting from a table "draw" really limits training.

Things I like:
1) Separated lanes. Even though I feel rather safe at a gun range, I really feel better with ballistic barriers between shooting locations. If a fellow shooter, while looking at a malf, turns their muzzle sideways, I'd like to be protected.
2) Powered target carriers. I like being able to flip a switch and make the paper targets fly backward.
3) Able to shoot at any distance. One needs to be allowed to shoot at any distance, from 2 yards to 25, and anything in between. We have ranges here that only allow single distances...bummer.

CHLChris: Thank you for this very helpful input. I appreciate your taking the time to do this. The detail is helpful. One more question:
Also, in terms of time, not distance, how far are you willing to drive to a range you enjoy??
---Fred

Have you checked this out? TNT Guns & Range | Indoor Shooting Range Murray, Utah

I grew up just to the South of Murray. From what I read on their website this place is the kind of place that will serve everyone, not just the wealthier among us. There is another indoor range, "Get Some, Guns 'n Ammo" to the south of TNT that is much smaller that I was able to shoot at and I though it was great. Both of these ranges are in the middle of large population areas.

MIKEJ:
Thank you for this very helpful input. And thanks for the links. I appreciate your taking the time to do this. One more question:
In terms of time, not distance, how far are you willing to drive to a range you enjoy??

I used to belong to an indoor range in Loveland CO. Things I liked about it.

1. Great ventilation system. Never left the range smelling like or tasting gun powder
2. Ability to prove safely being able to draw and present a handgun allowed you to remove the barriers and practice concealed draw
3. Programmable targets and ability to shoot most any caliber
4. Good hours, ~7am-9pm 7 Days a week.
5. Drive time was about 20 minutes
6. Rental guns and able to use own ammo.
7. Special events where they opened up the whole range floor and set up scenarios. One example was having to lay in a bed in the dark and when the lights came on, retrieve your handgun from nighttand and engage targets in low light conditions.

The only negative is a few of the RO's were overbearing and a few were not mindful of people blatantly breaking safety rules

Prices were fair for membership about $55 a month unlimited for both the wife and I. I also was allowed 4 free guest passes annually.

Wish we had a nice range here in Oregon....

1. Great ventilation system. Never left the range smelling like or tasting gun powder
2. Ability to prove safely being able to draw and present a handgun allowed you to remove the barriers and practice concealed draw
7. Special events where they opened up the whole range floor and set up scenarios. One example was having to lay in a bed in the dark and when the lights came on, retrieve your handgun from nighttand and engage targets in low light conditions.

The only negative is a few of the RO's were overbearing and a few were not mindful of people blatantly breaking safety rules

Prices were fair for membership about $55 a month unlimited for both the wife and I. I also was allowed 4 free guest passes annually.

And you moved away from that to Eugene?? I'm so sorry man, I'm really sorry.

As a beginning shooter I was bugged driving 30 minutes to a range. And then I began to realize how much of a blessing is a GOOD range. I'd drive an hour, if the range allowed me to do more work than a closer range. These are the jobs that I could do at a range that would inspire me to drive farther:

1) Test my reloaded ammo for function and velocity (see #2)
2) Chrono my ammo
3) Drill myself on draws and mag reloads

We have no indoor ranges in the Portland area that allow these tasks.

MilitantBEEMER:
Thank you for this very helpful input. I appreciate your taking the time to do this. The detail is helpful. It seems overbearing ROs are fairly prevalent! Have a great weekend!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top