Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

What makes a good buying experience?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by ZigZagZeke, Nov 25, 2011.

1. ZigZagZeke

ZigZagZeke Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer

1. What sort of store is best suited for you?

2. What do you expect from staff?

3. In the Northwest, what are the most important aspects of a shopping experience, specific to firearms enthusiasts and beyond what retail should be devoted to, that promote a long term partnership between customer and shopkeeper?

4. What brings in new people to the sport?

2. ZigZagZeke

My answers:

1. What sort of store is best suited for you?

One with a large selection of firearms and accessories. One that understands how firearms are used in the NW. One with reasonable, not necessarily bargain basement, prices. Keep your word. Customer service matters.

2. What do you expect from staff?

Prompt acknowledgement. If I'm obviously waiting to ask for something, "I'll be right with you." is a good response. If I seem to be browsing ask me, "Are you finding what you're looking for?" If the answer is "yes", then leave me alone.

3. In the Northwest, what are the most important aspects of a shopping experience, specific to firearms enthusiasts and beyond what retail should be devoted to, that promote a long term partnership between customer and shopkeeper?

Speak my language. Know what I mean when I use common NW terms. Know what I might be looking for in a firearm or an accessory if I say I'm going [Elk, Deer, Coyote, Grouse, etc.] hunting. Respect my knowledge and my wishes. You don't need to prove your superior knowledge, even when it is superior. There are ways to suggest alternatives to bad choices without making me feel stupid.

4. What brings in new people to the sport?

Friends and acquaintances that report good experiences and good results. Outdoors shows on TV.

3. Sling Blade

Sling Blade Yamhill County Well-Known Member

I agree with all your stuff ZigZag, and the only thing I can add is I hate arrogance from sales people and the "my way is best" opinions one gets from these folks.

4. ThemGunsThough

ThemGunsThough RIP City! Well-Known Member

I hate to say this but as long as I can get a GREAT price on something, I could care less about the service. For example, I previously had very horrible customer service experiences at Wholesale Sports, however, today I was able to save 15% off my Smith & Wesson dream gun even after their sale was over. I went there for black friday to try and seal the deal but they had a difficult time getting through to OSP and I didn't want to wait for work so I left. I came back today and they still honored the deal. I could care less about the service and I don't care if I get ignored initially. As long as I get a great deal on what I want, i'll go home a happy camper.

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  5. sheepdip

sheepdip Redland Well-Known Member

i dont shop, i know what i want, i know where to get it and i go get it:thumbup:

6. ZigZagZeke

If price is all that matters then happy Wal-Mart shopping.

Most of the time I do know what I want, but for instance, when I was shopping for a coyote rifle I handled and disqualified a lot of different types of rifles before I settled on an AR. When I'm brainstorming how to do something by browsing what's available the last thing I want to do is explain it to a sales clerk so they can "help" me.

7. DERGLOCKINMEISTER

DERGLOCKINMEISTER SPRINGFIELD OREGON Member

When someone says "I don't care about customer service " it usually means that they haven't needed any . I'll pay a little extra if the store
    will be there for me if I have an issue . Even brand new guns can go gunny bags and I'm not that sharp when it comes
    to fixing unusual problems .

8. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

A good buying experience for me is when I walk into any type of gun store and the sales staff just says Hi,let me know if you want touch anything and then sells me the gun I came looking for at a reasonable price.
    Then the nics call says I can walk out with it now.

Customer service is great I guess,if you do have to return something,I'm yet to return a gun though.So for me customer service is them not bothering me much.

9. Matt Selders

Matt Selders Vancouver, Washington Member

Thank you Zig Zag Zeke. My experience is that gun buyers like price, instock, selection, and service. Maybe not that order specifically. As a shopper, I like folks to not be pushy but to have enough savvy to know when I actually need help. Genuine concern or interest is big on my list, because you can't fake it. When I see that when I am shopping, I will seek that out when I need help or when I return. I like happy, positive sales staff. Grumpy people won't ever get my money.