JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think of collections as safe queens.. and I shoot/practice with all of my guns. So, I think of it more as an arsenal. If I don't shoot something I usually end up selling it.

I'm trying to figure out what the original question is actually asking. Is "collection" defined as how many in ones possession? Or "collection" as in every model of Colt from the 1920's?

Overall quantity was the heart of my question. How many guns do you think makes a small/med/large quantity of guns.

I was sitting at the table with my uncle when he brought up guns. I told him about a few of my favorites and he commented that I must have a 'large collection'. Between that comment and the video on '7 types of guns' I am wondering what makes a 'large' collection.

Ironically I don't think I have a large collection (medium sized at best) and yet by my own criteria posted above; I have a 'large' collection (>13 firing pins). Hense the limiters like two of my 1911's are RIA (cheap) do they count in the number of guns I have? Of 5 rifles I have 4 are .22's etc. (Of course that was all before the boating accident this morning :D )

I realize that a non gun owner thinks I have an arsenal and someone who has 260+ might think I might be a gun owner eventually. I'm wondering what an 'average' gun owner thinks.

A small collection is anything under 40 guns. 41-100 guns is medium. 100-250 guns is large. 250-500 is extra large. Anything over 500 is showing off. Obviously, that is just my opinion. I also believe that being a "gun guy" requires a few things. You must own a 10/22. You must own a 1911. You must be able to field strip 90% of your guns without a manual. If you pay someone to clean your guns for you, you are some sort of British Royalty on safari. Gun guys clean their own s***. Someone made a comment about the maintenance of a "large" collection. Since I rarely have more than 5 or 6 firearms per outing(10 max.), maintenance is not an issue. Depending upon the firearm, 500-1,000 rounds may go through it before cleaning. The question is relative. If I had 3 or 4 hobbies, I may have far fewer guns. I really have 2 hobbies, 90% of my "hobby time" and money go to guns. For someone with a firearm collection, an RC collection, a model train collection and a baseball card collection, that individual may have less money(and time) for each hobby. That individual may also live in his mother's basement. Kip.

I think the sample population is not random enough. Those who answered in the poll are way too into guns and skewed the curve. It's hard to believe that, according to that poll, 55% of all gun owners have more than 50 firearms....

Just 55% of CMP members.

I didn't consider myself a collector until I was buying the same fire arms based on serial number.

For someone with a firearm collection, an RC collection, a model train collection

Isn't it great to wake up in the morning and think "what should I play with today?"

You just gave me the idea of a "You might be a gun collector if..." line of jokes. While raping the corpse of Jeff Foxworthy(I know he's not dead, but he should be. We will mourn the death of his career) is a sad stab at comedy, here it goes:

You might be a gun collector if:
You post on many Ruger forums the "need" for the 10/22 with the serial #74.
Your gun storage/cleaning/admiring room(s) take up more than 40% of your home
Your 8 year old son can identify an original or aftermarket trigger on a MAK90 over 100' away at a gun show
You remember the RCBS bullet mold number of a caliber you have not owned for 10 years, but can't remember the birthdate of the woman you go to bed next to every night
You practice holds or breathing technique in your doctor's office
All of your friends in your age group think that Elmer Keith is the funny talking guy that chased Bugs Bunny around.
While out to dinner with your wife, you get a cheeseburger rather than a steak because "Hey, I can buy a bottle of H110 with what I save"

I'm sure that there are many more, but finally, you may be a gun collector if you check this site when you wake up in the morning and when you go to bed at night. Well hell, I guess I'm a collector. Kip

to me anyway.....1 gun= i started collecting guns ! 2 guns = i'm working on a gun collection ! 5 guns= still working on collection (under household radar) ! 11 to 20= honey! it is not an "addiction" !!!! were getting set up for "home defence" or in case "shtf" !

steven

Where should a guy look for a good general firearms education, in order to expand his collection? :) I think i'm on the right path.......... forums, gun shows, historical comparisons. But on topic, my wife would consider anything over 1 a collection in this case i think. Cars, bikes, computers and guns......i'm really wondering why she married me....;)

Where should a guy look for a good general firearms education, in order to expand his collection? :) I think i'm on the right path.......... forums, gun shows, historical comparisons. But on topic, my wife would consider anything over 1 a collection in this case i think. Cars, bikes, computers and guns......i'm really wondering why she married me....;)

Go where the guns are....

elsie

I have firearms for plinking, varmints and pests, medium game, big game (North America). I have weapons for bellys, across the room, end of the block, 3-400yds, 800-1,000yds. I have a few older military weapons, oddities and a couple family heirlooms. I like to think of these as a "collection". I really don't know, I doubt that there is a definitive answer.

Dude, she should read up on how men are hard wired! It would cover hobbys and collecting, sports and why we can watch movies that we like over and over and over. My wife has mellowed considerably since this kind of information has come out. But maybe it's just old age approaching!

A large collection would be more than twice the amount of firearms needed to equip everyone in your family and extended family with the basic necessities in firearms. For me that would be north of 4000 guns. I come from a large family and I feel woefully under prepared.

I think it's an interesting question with a little more complicated answer than we've heard so far....

Multiple copies of cheap, reliable guns (Mossy 500, Glock, 10/22) require larger numbers before they rate the "collection" moniker.
Multiple copies of Kimbers, Springers, or Hammerlis don't need as large a total count to rank as collections. So yes, it's possible to be a collector of .22's, just like anything else, if your hobby goes far enough beyond any rational excuse.
But one of anything, no matter how pricey, antique-y, or just plain outrageous, can't be called a collection.

So...

Twenty each of Mossbergs, AK's, and G19's would add up to one fine "squad collection."
But one or two copies each of Ed Brown, Randall, Nighthawk, Springfield, and Wilson could certainly be called a 1911 collection.

There's a graphical solution hiding in there somewhere.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top