JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've seen plenty of bear-sign (including actual black bears) hiking in the Olympics and Cascades. I've found a couple big cat prints over the years too but have never seen anything bigger than a bobcat up close.

I have averaged 1.5 bear sighting/year the last three years in the Cascades foothills and nearby suburbs. Yep, even black bears in Redmond, WA in the city parks. I have already seen a large brown this year. And I do go into the woods pretty deeply (horseback), but NOT that often. These threats are there, for sure. None have been in an "agressive" mode or has a confrontation developed, but the potential is close at hand.

Where I go to shoot is our property. Since we've had break-ins at the house I NEVER go unarmed. If I'm shooting at any distance (25, 50 or 100 yards) I do not leave the area of the truck to check the target without reloading, even if it's my single shot 45-70. I do go alone.....if you consider the company of a 120 lb dog alone. He's a great second pair of "eyes". Just like gutting a game animal in bear territory, I keep my eyes and ears open and a loaded firearm handy. Since it's our property and is posted, anyone approaching me that I don't know is trespassing and is considered a potential threat. If I'm scouting for deer season or out for a walk with the dog, I'm packin' my .41.
The only times that I've cocked a hammer or released the safety and I wasn't ready to shoot a game animal or a target was during hunting season. The first time it was a pair of dogs far from any house. The 2nd time was wild horses. (gotta have them stomping and snorting at you to really understand that!) and the 3rd time a black bear.
That said, I really am much more concerned about the 2 legged threat and if I ever feel really threatened, I'll shoot. You've all heard the line, "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by six". I fully believe that.
Be aware of your surroundings and cover your butt.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads