JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've seen plenty of bear-sign (including actual black bears) hiking in the Olympics and Cascades. I've found a couple big cat prints over the years too but have never seen anything bigger than a bobcat up close.

I have averaged 1.5 bear sighting/year the last three years in the Cascades foothills and nearby suburbs. Yep, even black bears in Redmond, WA in the city parks. I have already seen a large brown this year. And I do go into the woods pretty deeply (horseback), but NOT that often. These threats are there, for sure. None have been in an "agressive" mode or has a confrontation developed, but the potential is close at hand.

Where I go to shoot is our property. Since we've had break-ins at the house I NEVER go unarmed. If I'm shooting at any distance (25, 50 or 100 yards) I do not leave the area of the truck to check the target without reloading, even if it's my single shot 45-70. I do go alone.....if you consider the company of a 120 lb dog alone. He's a great second pair of "eyes". Just like gutting a game animal in bear territory, I keep my eyes and ears open and a loaded firearm handy. Since it's our property and is posted, anyone approaching me that I don't know is trespassing and is considered a potential threat. If I'm scouting for deer season or out for a walk with the dog, I'm packin' my .41.
The only times that I've cocked a hammer or released the safety and I wasn't ready to shoot a game animal or a target was during hunting season. The first time it was a pair of dogs far from any house. The 2nd time was wild horses. (gotta have them stomping and snorting at you to really understand that!) and the 3rd time a black bear.
That said, I really am much more concerned about the 2 legged threat and if I ever feel really threatened, I'll shoot. You've all heard the line, "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by six". I fully believe that.
Be aware of your surroundings and cover your butt.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads