JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, Ive been carrying 9mm Hornady 135gr Critical Duty in my Sub compact EDC and 147gr Winchester HP in my Compact.
Curious what other defensive loads guys swear by, what caliber also the firearm you carry it in. Anyone switch out winter and summer carry loads?

Lol same load! *high five* Love those rounds. Worth every cent!

IMG_0280.JPG

Federal HST 124gr standard vel.
After watching all the FBI rated
tests on gelatin W and WO clothing.

No it probably won't be smashing its way through steel or heavy glass, but consider statistically most encounters are within 7 yards and most even closer than that. So I personally want a load that performs extremely well at those distances out of my 3.5" barrel without too much fear of my shot going thru and hitting someone behind my targeted assailant.
I have a very close friend who is a licensed firearms instructor
and advocate of persons who have found themselves worrying whether or not they are going to jail after a shoot out.
I won't get into too much of what he teaches but I will mention a couple things you need to consider.
First of all what do your local LEO's carry in their duty weapons, and personal carry guns as well. I contacted my SO and learned they carry Federal HST in their 9mm's. The reason should be obvious if the attorney trying to fry my a&&
tries to make it appear that I'm one of those despicable people who are out to KILL someone, with the badasst load available, my atty. can show that I use the same stuff the law does, and they aren't out to KILL anyone just render them harmless and stop them from continuing what they are doing!
Which is what YOU are doing, if you are smart.
Hand loads are a no-no for the same reason, a cagie lawyer can make it out that you are loading MAN KILLER bullets, and we all know here that most of the people in the jury are non gun owners and probably half of them are anti gun, so you need everything on your side if you are going to carry and ever expect (Please GOD No) to be involved in a shoot out.
If you are looking for a fight to get into, don't be too surprised if you do time. Get rid of that idea right now or leave your gun in the safe!
Get rid of ammo that is Zombie Killer or RIP, can you imagine what a good time that lawyer can have with names like that.
You might as well paint a big sign on your forehead that says DUMB bubblegum A&&. Bye-Bye!
You want DEFENSE loads! And if the name says Defense on the box so much the better
So rethink what you've been saying here and on any other forums you vent on, maybe even deleting a bunch after thinking things thru.
I sure wouldn't want some smart lawyer saying I said I was using anything more than a DEFENSE LOAD, on a forum that is open to the whole world, and we all know Uncle Sam has the means to deliver everyone of us if they want too.
So play it smart and clean up what you say it CAN & WILL be used against you!
That's my good deed for the WEEK!
Gabby

Federal HST 124gr standard vel.
After watching all the FBI rated
tests on gelatin W and WO clothing.

No it probably won't be smashing its way through steel or heavy glass, but consider statistically most encounters are within 7 yards and most even closer than that. So I personally want a load that performs extremely well at those distances out of my 3.5" barrel without too much fear of my shot going thru and hitting someone behind my targeted assailant.
I have a very close friend who is a licensed firearms instructor
and advocate of persons who have found themselves worrying whether or not they are going to jail after a shoot out.
I won't get into too much of what he teaches but I will mention a couple things you need to consider.
First of all what do your local LEO's carry in their duty weapons, and personal carry guns as well. I contacted my SO and learned they carry Federal HST in their 9mm's. The reason should be obvious if the attorney trying to fry my a&&
tries to make it appear that I'm one of those despicable people who are out to KILL someone, with the badasst load available, my atty. can show that I use the same stuff the law does, and they aren't out to KILL anyone just render them harmless and stop them from continuing what they are doing!
Which is what YOU are doing, if you are smart.
Hand loads are a no-no for the same reason, a cagie lawyer can make it out that you are loading MAN KILLER bullets, and we all know here that most of the people in the jury are non gun owners and probably half of them are anti gun, so you need everything on your side if you are going to carry and ever expect (Please GOD No) to be involved in a shoot out.
If you are looking for a fight to get into, don't be too surprised if you do time. Get rid of that idea right now or leave your gun in the safe!
Get rid of ammo that is Zombie Killer or RIP, can you imagine what a good time that lawyer can have with names like that.
You might as well paint a big sign on your forehead that says DUMB bubblegum A&&. Bye-Bye!
You want DEFENSE loads! And if the name says Defense on the box so much the better
So rethink what you've been saying here and on any other forums you vent on, maybe even deleting a bunch after thinking things thru.
I sure wouldn't want some smart lawyer saying I said I was using anything more than a DEFENSE LOAD, on a forum that is open to the whole world, and we all know Uncle Sam has the means to deliver everyone of us if they want too.
So play it smart and clean up what you say it CAN & WILL be used against you!
That's my good deed for the WEEK!
Gabby

Great points. Keeping it real.

I bring up this point to the population of CCers who carry as a way to show off or be intimidating.

I use the exact same load you do btw :rolleyes:

Raidingtime, post: 1613249, member: 35940"]Great points. Keeping it real.

I bring up this point to the population of CCers who carry as a way to show off or be intimidating.

I use the exact same load you do btw :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

People who have that attitude are exactly the people I was talking too when I said leave it in the safe!

Most of the pro hunters that trail Cougars with hounds kill them with a head shot with a 22lr. Not so apt to mess up the skin, the tiny hole is easily sewn up while the skin is still "green", and once it's dried becomes nearly invisible. That's what we did with coyote pelts too.
G

Last Edited:
Most of the pro hunters that trail Cougars with hounds kill them with a head shot with a 22lr. Not so apt to mess up the skin, the tiny hole is easily sewn up while the skin is still "green", and once it's dried becomes nearly invisible.
That's true. I think there's a thread on that. You'll never see a cat, lest you have dogs, call them in, yada, or you got eyes in the back a your skull right before they kill you.
Me, don't know if I contributed in this thread yet, but for self defense against humans, I'll generally use something that will reliably and violently expand or regular hard (meaning old school Lyman #2 hard) semi wadcutters.. out of revolvers or semi automatics.. and don't spare the horsies.
I won't use hardball or rounds that behave as such unless it's for a particular reason.. and I do my homework.

Here are the results with Federal HST 147gr standard velocity, and the 124gr loads are almost identical.
I like that you don't have to worry as much about over penetration from the HST loads.
I'm also pleased to see that Federal is selling them in boxes of 50 for what most of the other designer defense loads get for 20 or 25. :eek::D

For 5" 1911, .45 ACP...

Speer 23966 or 53966 Gold Dot 230gr. standard-pressure

I would switch to Federal P45HST2 (similar performance, different projectile) right along with most Puget Sound LE agencies, but I had a total Dumb F*** Moment and forgot to keep the box end with the lot numbers...

For 5" 1911, .45 ACP...

Speer 23966 or 53966 Gold Dot 230gr. standard-pressure

I would switch to Federal P45HST2 (similar performance, different projectile) right along with most Puget Sound LE agencies, but I had a total Dumb F*** Moment and forgot to keep the box end with the lot numbers...
Hard to go wrong with Gold Dot in any caliber, there are a lot of very good choices out there. A perp won't like any of them

I first loaded GD's when they were local LEOs' duty load, back in the early 2000s.

Pretty much most any premium JHP from the Big Four (Winchester, Remington, Orbital-ATK, Hornady) will do the job for ya. I'm with Mas on carrying the same load as local cops... :)

I first loaded GD's when they were local LEOs' duty load, back in the early 2000s.

Pretty much most any premium JHP from the Big Four (Winchester, Remington, Orbital-ATK, Hornady) will do the job for ya. I'm with Mas on carrying the same load as local cops... :)
Yeah but I don't want to carry 22LR...... okay just kidding, I don't have a clue what Washington County carries or Hillsboro or Cornelius or the Oregon State Patrol, I don't know but they might not even publicize it

Yeah but I don't want to carry 22LR...... okay just kidding, I don't have a clue what Washington County carries or Hillsboro or Cornelius or the Oregon State Patrol, I don't know but they might not even publicize it
This is why what ya do is make a Buddy in Blue who doesn't mind talking gear... :D Back in the Old Days, at my usual range there were days when black suit- or khaki-clad me was the only break in a solid line of blue.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top