JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I use these, cause bubblegum gets weird around Portland.

View attachment 289498

A silver bullet? Are you perhaps related to the Lone Ranger?

lone-ranger-the.jpg

Ike and Mrs. Ike are serious!
I have added Underwood Extreme Penetrator for my new and old carry .45 ACP's
Also Extreme Defender for our home defense 9MM (my wife has one on trips only, she won't carry because I do)
I am considering the Extreme Defender for 380 also, but have not bought any yet. I get my new LCP II Tuesday and after I test it with a variety of ammunition I might buy some. (you still have to try the carry ammo in the carry gun, but you have an Idea)

Apologies if a similar comment has already been made in this lengthy discussion thread...

It is my understanding that Hornady Critical Defense is OK for all sizes of pistols, but Hornady Critical Duty is only recommended for full-size pistols (ie., the bullet may not expand as expected if the barrel is less than 4" long).

I read about this a while back but I cannot find the article.

Apologies if a similar comment has already been made in this lengthy discussion thread...

It is my understanding that Hornady Critical Defense is OK for all sizes of pistols, but Hornady Critical Duty is only recommended for full-size pistols (ie., the bullet may not expand as expected if the barrel is less than 4" long).

I read about this a while back but I cannot find the article.

I also believe the Critical Duty is geared more towards law enforcement in that it's designed to be barrier "blind". That it will still be effective through car window glass, walls (sheet rock), etc. Whereas Critical Defense is not as effective in those scenarios, as it's more for heavy clothing, non-leo self defense encounters.

Iirc 40 exists because after the FBI switched to a uniform ammo of 10mm including special order MP5 s they discovered most couldn't handle the recoil in their issue sidearm

This is a myth. FBI chose it's 180gr reduced velocity 10mm load before it chose its duty 10mm handgun, the S&W 1076. The first time agents shot 10mm was with the reduced velocity load. Full power 10mm ammunition was never issued by FBI.

One thing of note, I have noticed larger groups using Underwood's Extreme Penetrator or Defender, compared to Underwood with XTP's, I expect the fluted design to be the culprit .

I carry a glock 19. It is both my service pistol and my CC weapon. I use hornady critical duty in it. I use critical defense in anything with a short barrel because it expands with lower velocity. The critical duty needs a bit more speed to expand thus a longer barrel is better. Pluss the poly plug in the tip is quite nice making sure that the round expands and does not clog and pass through possibly hitting an innocent bystander.

Just my preference. Hornady critical anythings.

I am sorry to steal the thread for a moment, but I was reminded of my 'carry' ammo for my various Cap pistols (though about 90% were a depiction of Colt SSA) I did have a Davey Crockett single shot cap rifle too. I don't recall all the brands of caps, but I believe one was Black Cats like the Firecrackers. Seems like Diamond Match made some reliable ones. They normally came in 50 cap rolls, perfect for Mattel's 'Fanner Fifty'
Hey it was my carry ammo!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads