JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Where do you Draw the Line?

• I support/put up with the Gun Control Act of 1968 (Establishes FFL, defines prohibited persons)

• I do NOT support the Gun Control Act of 1968

• I support/put up with the Ban on Full Auto weapons (as it stands currently with heavy regulation)

• I do NOT support the Ban of Fully Automatic Weapons

• I support or will put up with background checks (As they stand currently)

• I do NOT support background checks

• I support or will put up with mandatory waiting periods

• I do NOT support mandatory waiting periods

• I do NOT support any type of regulation on firearms -- Shall Not Infringe means zero regulations

Results are only viewable after voting.
Yeah, I agree it's the data collection part. Theoretically if it could be done with a guarantee that the govt doesn't know you're purchasing a gun, e.g. just doing a felon lookup or whatever, I think that would be reasonable but in practice I don't know if that is even a realistic possibility?

In a perfect world, I'd be all for no gun restrictions. However, I think I can live with the 1968 Gun Control Act, since I have been living with it OK. I don't like the little add-on restrictions like Washington State has adopted. I think we should be able to buy a gun from a neighbor or friend (or stranger) the same way we can buy a used lawnmower. And I would love to be able to own a fully-auto firearm with no BS and big bucks. Feeding it would be another thing, ha.

The problem with most gun control legislation is that it consumes tax dollars to administrate and does nothing to show for it. In some cases it makes matters worse.
The full auto legislation of the 30's was sufficient and the last reasonable law they created and even that had a lot of nonsense tied to it like no butt stocks on pistols and short barrel laws for rifles. It seems anytime democrats try to do something constructive they get half of a good idea and then find a way to screw it up.

Actually, the original NFA as written by the National Reasonable Regulation *spit* Association had handguns on the list of Title II restricted items, too...
The bill was introduced into the house by a democrat in may1934. (D-NC Robert Doughton)
Signed into law by a democrat president. june 1934 Franklin D Roosevelt.
I believe the NRA (may) have supported it but history is sketchy on that. And the times were different back then and politics of the day were trusted more. Today the democrats have become the terrorists of freedom and there's such a divide between the two parties we will never see eye to eye again. Democrats have consistently attacked the freedom to bear arms and will never stop till they've totally outlawed them.

If you replied to this survey the same way I did to begin with by checking the following box:
*I do NOT support any type of regulation on firearms -- Shall Not Infringe means zero regulations

I would suggest that you go back and hit the "Change Your Vote" button and go back and check each of the:
*I do NOT support boxes shown. I think, just my opinion, that this will give the survey a more accurate picture of how WE all feel.:):):)

I think, just my opinion, that this will give the survey a more accurate picture of how WE all feel.:):):)

I think we already have a pretty "accurate picture" and it shows why the anti's will keep winning: Far too many gun owners "support" gun control and far too many will "put up" with the trampling of our rights.

The anti's will propose the next restriction and these people will say "it's only common sense, I'm all for it". Then the anti's will propose the next restriction after that and these people will say "I don't like that type of gun, go ahead, doesn't bother me". Then the anti's will propose another restriction and these people will say "as long as it stops one bad guy/kook, go ahead put the burden on me". Then the anti's will propose another restriction and these people will say "I don't mind the inconvenience, a little more isn't going to hurt" and so on and so on and so on...... until nothing is left.

These people are every bit as responsible as the anti's for taking our rights away and why we'll never see those rights again, without revolution (and they will probably side with the govt for the same reasons as above).

Ray

P.S. Edited out a couple extra words to make it read right.

Last Edited:
I think we already have a pretty "accurate picture" and it shows why the anti's will keep winning: Far too many gun owners "support" gun control and far too many will "put up" with the trampling of our rights.

The anti's will propose the next restriction and these people will say "it's only common sense, I'm all for it". Then the anti's will propose the next restriction after that and these people will say "I don't like that type of gun, go ahead, doesn't bother me". Then the anti's will propose the another restriction and these people will say "as long as it stops one bad guy/kook, go ahead put the burden on me". Then the anti's will propose the another restriction and these people will say "I don't mind the inconvenience, a little more isn't going to hurt" and so on and so on and so on...... until nothing is left.

These people are every bit as responsible as the anti's for taking our rights away and why we'll never see those rights again, without revolution (and they will probably side with the govt for the same reasons as above).

Ray

Exactly right. There are gun owners that would happily go along with gun control because it doesn't affect 'them'. Some examples:

* I have nothing to hide, so why should I care about background checks?
* I don't need one of those crazy AR 15's, so why should I care about restrictions?
* I don't use 15, 20, 30+ round magazines, so why should I care about restrictions?
* I don't shoot anything semi-automatic, so why should I care about restrictions?
* There has been some bad shootings I've seen in the news, it is only common sense to further restrict our constitutional rights, at least so I don't have to feel like a 'bad' gun owner
* I don't carry (open or concealed) so why should I care about restrictions?
* I don't need more than 20 rounds all year, so why should I care about ammo restrictions?
* I own my great-great-grandpappy's old .22 short rifle, so I'm a gun owner and I care about rights, but I want as many laws restricting gun owner's as possible (the Kitzhaber type of gun owner)
* I've never sold a gun in a private sale, so why should I care about restrictions?
* I don't buy Curio and Relic guns, so why should I care about restrictions on a Federally issued C&R license?

There are a lot of these people out there - they are gun owners, but don't support much in the way of gun rights - at least until a gun control law does impact them...

Exactly. The definition of "common sense" gun control gradually moves over the years as gun control measures pass. We need to stop asking ourselves what "common sense" laws we could pass and start understanding and respecting what the 2nd Amendment says.

Exactly right. There are gun owners that would happily go along with gun control because it doesn't affect 'them'. Some examples:

* I have nothing to hide, so why should I care about background checks?
* I don't need one of those crazy AR 15's, so why should I care about restrictions?
* I don't use 15, 20, 30+ round magazines, so why should I care about restrictions?
* I don't shoot anything semi-automatic, so why should I care about restrictions?
* There has been some bad shootings I've seen in the news, it is only common sense to further restrict our constitutional rights, at least so I don't have to feel like a 'bad' gun owner
* I don't carry (open or concealed) so why should I care about restrictions?
* I don't need more than 20 rounds all year, so why should I care about ammo restrictions?
* I own my great-great-grandpappy's old .22 short rifle, so I'm a gun owner and I care about rights, but I want as many laws restricting gun owner's as possible (the Kitzhaber type of gun owner)
* I've never sold a gun in a private sale, so why should I care about restrictions?
* I don't buy Curio and Relic guns, so why should I care about restrictions on a Federally issued C&R license?

There are a lot of these people out there - they are gun owners, but don't support much in the way of gun rights - at least until a gun control law does impact them...
These are the kinds of Fair Weather Friends some of us call "Fudds" or "Benedict Arnold Gunowners." Some are educable--I started out as one of these--but the rub is there are also many beyond all reason and logic, unwilling or unable to see that as Niemoller noted as they throw each successive other group of the armed community under the bus there are less and less standing between the ravages of a rapacious government and THEM, nor will any of US stand for them when their turn comes.

The only thing I would support comes with BIG conditions (which would probably never happen so in the end it's "no gun control") is some form of gun "drivers license".

The conditions would be:

• Instant verification of license status over the internet.
  • Face to face sales permitted for license owners.
  • License is federal and states can not over rule.
  • License includes Concealed/Open carry everywhere
  • No government tracking of sales of firearms. You have the license you could have one gun or one thousand guns - there should be no way for the government to know.
  • Get rid of the GCA and NFA - if you got the license you can have anything (including thermal guided laser drones and heavy tanks with depleted uranium rounds).
  • If you lose the license (i.e. criminal conviction not just charges) then there would be some form of amnesty/appeal time to turn in guns or dispute the loss - after that you are a criminal and should be treated as such.
Of course, this would never happen so I just go with the no compromise position of "no gun control ever"/ ;)

The only thing I would support comes with BIG conditions (which would probably never happen so in the end it's "no gun control") is some form of gun "drivers license".

The conditions would be:

• Instant verification of license status over the internet.
  • Face to face sales permitted for license owners.
  • License is federal and states can not over rule.
  • License includes Concealed/Open carry everywhere
  • No government tracking of sales of firearms. You have the license you could have one gun or one thousand guns - there should be no way for the government to know.
  • Get rid of the GCA and NFA - if you got the license you can have anything (including thermal guided laser drones and heavy tanks with depleted uranium rounds).
  • If you lose the license (i.e. criminal conviction not just charges) then there would be some form of amnesty/appeal time to turn in guns or dispute the loss - after that you are a criminal and should be treated as such.
Of course, this would never happen so I just go with the no compromise position of "no gun control ever"/ ;)

Can you name another Constitutional guaranteed right that requires licensing?

If not, why the 2nd? The gov should NOT be in the business of licensing someone who wants to own a gun.:mad:

Can you name another Constitutional guaranteed right that requires licensing?

If not, why the 2nd? The gov should NOT be in the business of licensing someone who wants to own a gun.:mad:

I do think there needs to be an easy way to identify those people that have had their constitutional rights revoked (criminals and crazies). If it means jumping through a licensing loophole every 4/5 years then I am prepared to accept that - but that should be the ONLY thing I have to do.

I am against more restrictions.
Just on basis that it seems that as soon as one is passed , another even more restrictive law is in the wings , waiting to pass.
It appears to me that those who are law abiding are always the ones who are harmed or affected by a new gun law or restriction.
Meanwhile , back in the news crime continues , despite bans , laws and restrictions ...
Andy

I am against more restrictions.
Just on basis that it seems that as soon as one is passed , another even more restrictive law is in the wings , waiting to pass.
It appears to me that those who are law abiding are always the ones who are harmed or affected by a new gun law or restriction.
Andy

Exactly! :mad:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews