JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
hey guys,

Just curious on what kits y'all use for cleaning? For years I've used a hoppes kit that I've always seemed to loose pieces from, so it's time to move on... looking for a good kit that does rifle, pistol, and shotgun. Cheers

Who cleans?

Rifles I use a bore snake. I subscribe to the shoot until accuracy degrades then clean method for rifles.

Pistols: a little q-tip and some CLP.

For at home use ...
I have some one piece cleaning rods of various lengths made of aluminium or hickory...these along with a "bore snake" work well.
For field use , I bring a GI issue cleaning kit or just bring one of my hickory cleaning rods and leave that in my truck or camp....

I clean after every shooting session and give a random "check up" to my guns , when the mood strikes....
Andy

Go to 23 seconds in.

LOL! "Just watering the Kalashnikov ..."

As to the OPs question, a big tackle box filled with all sorts of cleaning junk built up over the years; cleaning rods, brushes, patches, lubricants, solvents, greases, waxes, et al. I'll admit not to being as fastidious about cleaning firearms as in the past, but if they need a thoroughly cleaning, it is done.

usually just run a boresnake thru my rifles after a couple hundred rounds. i dont use solvent unless my accuracy degrades and even then it takes 5 shots for my rounds to be consistant again after the oil gets out of the barrel.

in my opinion, my rifles shoot better when the barrel has some seasoning in it.

i have over 20k rounds through my mossberg 535. ive cleaned it 4 times in the 13 years ive owned it.

usually boresnake my pistols every so often and then clean inside the frame every year or so.

For at home use ...
I have some one piece cleaning rods of various lengths made of aluminium or hickory...these along with a "bore snake" work well.
For field use , I bring a GI issue cleaning kit or just bring one of my hickory cleaning rods and leave that in my truck or camp....

I clean after every shooting session and give a random "check up" to my guns , when the mood strikes....
Andy

I can't get an image of you stuffing a "bore snake" into one of your front loaders out of my mind.:eek: Just how would that work.:oops: And, and is that snake venomous?:p

hey guys,

Just curious on what kits y'all use for cleaning? For years I've used a hoppes kit that I've always seemed to loose pieces from, so it's time to move on... looking for a good kit that does rifle, pistol, and shotgun. Cheers

The question ^^.

LOL! "Just watering the Kalashnikov ..."

As to the OPs question, a big tackle box filled with all sorts of cleaning junk built up over the years; cleaning rods, brushes, patches, lubricants, solvents, greases, waxes, et al. I'll admit not to being as fastidious about cleaning firearms as in the past, but if they need a thoroughly cleaning, it is done.

The answer ^^.

Using the kits is a pain. The brushes are crap, plastic jags just don't seem right. Having to put a 4 piece rod together and use is a pain. I like the stainless brushes. The copper/bronze, whatever they are get eaten up if you use the Hoppes lead/copper remover. One piece cleaning rods for rifles. The bearings in them beat whatever is in the inexpensive kit.

At the range with my foster son the other day.....He said he doesn't clean his guns. When they start to malfunction he gives them a shot of CLP or some such. I shot a couple of them, they look like he used axle grease from a WWII deuce and a half with 200,000 miles on it. They ran fine and shot accurate though!

FYI Unless you get every drop of solvent off the thing you clean, it will eventually dissipate any and all lube.

For the bore...An over sized HD nylon brush only. For 9mm, I use a 40cal size. For 45, I use a 50cal size etc...no solvent down the bore. I've yet to have anyone tell the difference.

I use Hoppes 9 for particular parts cleaning, then make sure its all off before lubing. Cleaning...an assortment of brushes and dental style pics.

For lube, I look at it this way. If a machine has a sump or pan and pump system...they use oil. Every machine that doesn't have that uses some kind of grease.

I was in a class years ago at the Yakima Military firing range. That powder dirt got into everything so bad, I took my AR apart and into the shower it went with me. Used the motel hair dryer, lubed it and off I went the next day. If you have a good quality AR, they will push out the grime and defy dirt.

I hate sectioned cleaning rods. The old rifle case does a nice job of holding all my supplies and is long enough for my one piece rods. I gave up on kits a long time ago and just buy the pieces I need for the guns I own (usually a bore snake, a bronze brush and a brass jag).

0106190154.jpg

Last Edited:
My AK cleaning kit and rod (yeah yeah, steel rod destroy bore, says anyone who ignores the kit acts as a bore guide).

For the most part, I really just use a bore snake. I might wipe parts down with a paper towel or rag or something, but normally its just relube and go.

I use one of these. 19 in. Tool Tote with 14 Pockets

There's room and pockets for all the small stuff. Solvent/oil stays upright in pockets. I wear out/stain a lot of T shirts so I use them laid out as a base when cleaning handguns in the house. They fold and fit just inside the tool bag nicely. At this point the one-piece cleaning rods just lean somewhere in the loading room or garage.

I would suggest that you build your own. Buying the pieces that you need and like has always worked better for me. I started with kids but kept needing more that wasn't in the kit.:)

Rem oil
Toothbrush/rod with patch/brush
Rem oil
Air compressor to blow it out
Lube oil
Air compressor blow it in tight areas
Done

Very similar for me too!

Toothbrush (or one of those dark grey brushes with nylon bristles on both ends), and a rod and proper bristle for caliber. Or a bore snake if I can dig out the proper size.

Hoppe's #9

Spray everything off with brake cleaner

Hit it with an air compressor (~50-60psi) to completely dry everything inside and out.

Lube with oil/grease in friction areas.

*NOTE: I must have CDO as I clean after every range trip. No more than 2 trips to the range without cleaning!

(CDO is very similar to OCD. Except all the letter are in order.)

I use random stuff, some times a snake, some times a pipe cleaner or qtips, some times brass brushes and the lube of the day.

Occasionally I use some peanut oil on the outside cause it smells nice and keeps it crispy for long term storage.

Other times I use this stuff that is basically oven cleaner to get out copper fouling.

On the rare occasion I just polish and kiss it and lay it down gently back in the safe, but don't tell my wife.

For a through cleaning, I use the following self assembled kit for bolt action rifles:

One piece cleaning rods - Dewey, Ivy, Tipton, ect
Bore guide - Lucas and Sinclair
Brass jags with correct size patch
Bronze brushes
Butches Bore Shine for a solvent
Kroil - to remove solvent
CLP and Montana Extreme gun oil
Shotgun mop to clean the chamber
Sinclair bolt grease on the lugs to prevent galling

I'm a little surprised how many people just use a bore snake. But if it works.

Everything you get in a "kit" is crap, except maybe the solvent/oil that are barely passable.
Bore snakes are ok for shotguns, but you won't catch me running a dirty rope repeatedly through my precision rifle bore.

*A good one piece coated or carbon rod with a bearing in the handle that will allow the patch/brush to follow the rifling.

*A correct jag with the correct size patch.

*Never a bore brush made of harder material than the barrel, don't use stainless steel brush on your bore (these are made for revolver cylinders). Nylon or bronze is ok, the bronze will interact with most solvents, the nylon won't.

*Lube sparingly only where needed.

*Rust prevention lightly over metal surfaces for extended storage, clean off prior to using.

*A good nylon toothbrush style tool and some plastic dental pics are handy for stubborn rim fire deposits.

Break cleaner, wax and grease remover, hornady ONE SHOT. Qtips, rags, elbow grease and then a hoppes oil rag to wipe down the finish exterior.

Works like a charm after putting at least a couple thousand thru a few of my gats before Oregons blessed wet season slows down the trips.

Some tunes to listen to while cleaning. Funniest stuff I've seen and heard but its actually kinda soothing to listen to while cleaning.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top