JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
so maybe im opening a can of worms here but im looking for an excuse to give my girlfriend as to why i want to go shooting more often than i do. my plan is to have my first AR completed by this time next month and of course i want to put some rounds down range but it isnt enough for me going once every couple of months. are there competitions near the Aloha area where i can participate with just the one rifle? i dont really expect to win but i like to compete in everything i do (yes i suffer TMS) and i would like to see if i can soak of some knowledge from the more experienced marksmen while im at it.

anyone out there with the info im looking for?

Not sure of any rifle comps, but be warned... Pistol comps are a blast, awesome experience, a lot of fun, everyone was friendly and helpful. I got hooked, I shot my first steel challenge last weekend at a local range, I'm driving 100 miles (one way) on Saturday to shoot another one.
Have fun!

well that makes things difficult considering i sold my handgun to fund my AR lol. i suppose the thing i want the most out of it is marksmanship improvement anyway. maybe ill look for groups that help each other train.

They have high power matches all over this area. Go to Oregon State Shooting Association and click on high power shooting schedule.
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club.,Tri County has matches.
Be warned highpower is addictive. I'm sure some others members will chime in. HotRod

Of course you can get a .22lr upper and compete in many of the steel matches.
And buy her one too. (or even a basic Ruger 10/22 and then get her a custom stock, barrel, trigger ..... )

Women are extremely competitive at the rifle disciplines - like Silhouette.

Often in Strategies Tactics and Training forum here on NWFA, there is information on Appleseed. While not a competition per se, the organization will push you to be the best rifleman you can be.
When I looked a couple of weeks back, there was matches every weekend, just depends how far you are willing to drive.
http://www.northwestfirearms.com/forums/strategies-tactics-training.42/

I copied this over:
Come learn the fundamentals of rifle marksmanship - Dundee, OR Appleseed April 12-13, 2014 Tickets, Dundee - Eventbrite

Full NW 2014 schedule: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=38584.0

Last Edited:
appleseed looks good but thats still stretching what my budget allows. it looks like i may be able to attend one in june but i will need to keep any eye on my budget. i think that may be a good way to get some headway into some formal training. so far everything ive learned has come from my papa (yea thats what i call him) but that was all just basic fundamentals.

I would second the Appleseed training (You can do just one day, e.g. Saturday) The ones held at Douglas Ridge allow AR to be used. Some Appleseeds allow only .22lr.

You should also consider Douglas Ridge Service Rifle Program
http://www.douglasridge.org/cmp.html
Most shoot the Garand, but ARs are also popular.
The next match is in May (100 yard). You must attend the Friday instruction before the Saturday match if it is your first match. Sign up early, they do fill up. Note the cost: Class and Match Fee - $10.00.

July and August are 200/300/600 yard matches (which also require an instruction class if you have only done the 100 yard match).

You can shoot your AR, many a man have done so.
The AR for juniors is just a learning, recoil thing. DRRC will let you borrow a rifle for the match if you are a new shooter.

Note: The service matches are for iron sights only, no scopes, no red dots.

yea, i dont have the cash for optics yet anyway lol but its good to know i can use my AR. i may be looking into the DRRC match for june. not bad on costs but i would have to drive out twice on the first match i attend. well unless i camp somewhere lol.

You might also want to check out Tri County Gun Club.
They have some rifle competition, there is one aimed mostly at the use of an AR-15, then when you get some bucks saved up, you can try the 600 yard shoot, but that requires a pretty good optic which would cost more than the rifle.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top