JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking at getting a portable scanner for relatively cheap (under $100). I don't mind getting it off of FleaBay and was wondring what brands/models people have had and liked. I don't mind getting an older one either-it certainly doesn't have to be new if it saves me some money and works good.

Hey Sapper, I an not even suggesting this for tactical usage but are you aware that police and fire scanner app's are available free for smart phones. They are surprisingly well done, you can set them for any metropolitan area inc Portland, Mult Co. Clark Co etc. NYPD and Chicago were eye openers!

Make sure any scanner you get does trunking (motorola type II I believe) if you want to listen to the local stuff. I used to have a uniden handheld (don't recall model #) but it suited its purpose quite well. I too picked it up off the 'bay for less than 100 shipped. I used to live in a small town and would listen to the fire department. Got back to Portland and lost interest in scanning.

I tried one of the iphone apps back in the day (original Iphone days) and was amused by it at best. I'll have to try it again now. Thanks for the heads up Sarge!!!

there are relatively few scanners out there in the price range that will understand the wide variety of protocols. Some of the more common ones... motorola smartzone, P25, etc.

What you might want to do is spend some time over on the radioreference forums and find out what kind of scanners they use over there. They have a better idea than most.

I have a ratshack pro97 that seems to work ok. I still haven't figured out how to program trunks but around here it really doesn't matter LOL.

If you travel through metro areas check pawn shops.....in areas that use hybrid and digital systems you can find normal scanners on the cheap a lot of times. if you need a digital scanner good luck on your price range of a bill.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top