JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This Pack might work...around 4,000 Cubic Inch of space. You did say a week and you did say a lot of space! This pack is designed for long-term survival!

It is called the WASP for Weapon Accessiable Survival Pack. It looks like any Joe Average "REI" type pack so it doesn't draw any "unwanted" attention to yourself.

Dan,
I did not find these packs on the OFA Gear site - are they still being sold?

On a related note, I am also looking for a backpack though probably not one quite as large as most of these being discussed. It will be a general purpose hiking, travel, bug-out pack for me. I want a good, depndable pack that:
- is about $100 or less new
- has a 3000-4500 cubic inch capacity
- has an internal frame w/ a shoulder/hip suspension strap system
- is available in neutral, earth-tone colors such as green (my preferred color), brown, gray or maybe black. I don't want to look too out of place in downtown portland, on a plane or in the wilderness.

So far, the pack that best seems to match my interests is the Kelty Redwing 3100: http://www.kelty.com/p-27-redwing-3100.aspx
I'd appreciate hearing from folks who have experience with these or who can offer a good alternative.

On a related note, I am also looking for a backpack though probably not one quite as large as most of these being discussed. It will be a general purpose hiking, travel, bug-out pack for me. I want a good, depndable pack that:
- is about $100 or less new
- has a 3000-4500 cubic inch capacity
- has an internal frame w/ a shoulder/hip suspension strap system
- is available in neutral, earth-tone colors such as green (my preferred color), brown, gray or maybe black. I don't want to look too out of place in downtown portland, on a plane or in the wilderness.

So far, the pack that best seems to match my interests is the Kelty Redwing 3100: http://www.kelty.com/p-27-redwing-3100.aspx
I'd appreciate hearing from folks who have experience with these or who can offer a good alternative.

Not too sure from the pics, but from the looks of those straps your weight might be limited. A good Gregory or Dana Designs is only a Craigslist page away. I have a Nimrod (too heavy for what it does), older North Face experimental tac-rig, and a Lowe Alpine "3-7 day" pack that works great for trips up to 30 days with food resupply. Remember if you don't like the color of the pack you can spray paint (yes paint) them to change the color (white or flat back in my cases) and it also waterproofs them for one or two "missions". Just be aware that fresh paint smell may give away your position as most people can smell unnatural scents miles in the back country. I had some Combat Controllers smell my ciggy from about a mile away one time at high altitude given the wind direction.

It's hard to get one pack. Oh I also have a Jansport external frame that is very comfortable, but I only use it once the weight is above 65lbs or unless I'm packing the 1919 and tripod with gear.

Dan,
I did not find these packs on the OFA Gear site - are they still being sold?

Yes! Just haven't had time to post them on the OFA GEAR site. We only have a few left in stock. They sell fast! Just give Vivian a call at the Office and she can give you prices etc. If you want pictures etc I can send you some info etc.

DAno

I really like my ILBE pack
http://www.ilbepack.com/

That looks like a decent bit of kit!

A lot more technology than the PLCE Bergen we used in the UK infantry.
The PLCE Bergen was big - up to 120 Litres - over 7300 cu inches.

20 litres of that was in detachable 10 litre side pouches that zipped together to form a patrol pack, or used individually with the supplied yoke.

Did pretty good with weight distribution and was pretty tough - frame would survive a 25' drop.
Wasn't all that waterproof though so that is one area it is weak.

There are variations with better shoulder and waist straps available than the issue variant we used.

Kifaru Zulu worth every penny at $750 <broken link removed>username mm, password mm

www.militarymorons.com gives lots of reviews of some really great gear. I have seen plenty of packs rip because of inferior material, stitching, and just plain can't handle carrying all the gear students want to take with them. Do your research and find a good modular pack would be my suggestion with nothing less than 1000d cordura. You will find out you don't need a huge pack to be comfortable, but quality gear can sure help. Also going out multiple times you will find out what works and what doesn't. It would really bother me to be 10 miles in and start to have problems with my pack.

zulu5.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top