JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It is a red-shafted flicker. They primarily feed on the ground, so there is most likely one of two reasons it is pecking on your house:

1) Drumming - drumming is done to attract mates and mark territory. It is a rapid, machine gun-like tapping, usually done about sunrise.

2) Nest construction - If it is a slower, more deliberate tapping, they may be excavating a nest hole. They can be very destructive. See:

Well, the shiny foil only worked for one day... bird pecked right through it.

-Robert

Did you hang the shiny foil in strips so that they'll wave around in the wind or did you put up one large piece?

If one large piece, consider cutting those foil into strips and sticking multiple strips so that they all wave around in the wind and reflecting the sun in multiple angles.

You can also tie a plastic bag to a string and attach the string to the wall so that the bag will wave around in the wind. All these things, including shiny stuff, waving and moving around tend to keep birds away. I do the same thing (foil and plastic bags) on my lawn when I do seeing/overseeding to keep birds from using my lawn as a all-you-can-eat buffet.

Did you hang the shiny foil in strips so that they'll wave around in the wind or did you put up one large piece?

If one large piece, consider cutting those foil into strips and sticking multiple strips so that they all wave around in the wind and reflecting the sun in multiple angles.

You can also tie a plastic bag to a string and attach the string to the wall so that the bag will wave around in the wind. All these things, including shiny stuff, waving and moving around tend to keep birds away. I do the same thing (foil and plastic bags) on my lawn when I do seeing/overseeding to keep birds from using my lawn as a all-you-can-eat buffet.

I did have many shiny foil in strips waving around the wind, as well as foil over the hole it's made. I think it ripped off the foil strips and pecked right through the other part.

I've been waiting for a fully automatic repellant solution to arrive, but to prevent further damage I put a plate of 3/16 steel over the hole for now.

-Robert

I did have many shiny foil in strips waving around the wind, as well as foil over the hole it's made. I think it ripped off the foil strips and pecked right through the other part.

I've been waiting for a fully automatic repellant solution to arrive, but to prevent further damage I put a plate of 3/16 steel over the hole for now.

-Robert
One damn determined little bird there :mad:

-Robert
They love steel.. anything that magnifies their hammering they like.

3812251.jpg

I'm going to tell the feds that this bird has an autokey card sbr with the shoulder thing that pops up.

That should take care of it real quick.

-Robert

-Robert

Wow....that is one VERY determined bird. You might need something drastic, like a fully automated, motion sensing sentry gun that shoots paintballs.

Yay, 9 year old boys are now obsolete.
Kid, I'll give you a buck for every dead flicker you bring me. You're not allowed to damage the house. Here's a slingshot and some paintballs. NO ROCKS. :)

In today's politically correct environment, where boys are brought up to be new age sensitive gentlemen who are gender neutral, handing them a paintball gun and asking them to shoot a bird is akin to asking them to dig out their own left nut with a table spoon.

You're far better off relying on machines and computers. :D

^^ Now that that has been said lol, my new airsoft pistol came in today and I am quite happy to use it as a tool to solve this latest problem (and for training my daughter firearm safety). I wonder what that says about me? Lol...

I had already tried other methods, but this bird is asking for it. In my head, I have designed an automated trap to cage it in, and then I can take it far away and release it... but, that's if it doesn't respond to this latest attempt.

-Robert

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads