JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
^^ Now that that has been said lol, my new airsoft pistol came in today and I am quite happy to use it as a tool to solve this latest problem (and for training my daughter firearm safety). I wonder what that says about me? Lol...

I had already tried other methods, but this bird is asking for it. In my head, I have designed an automated trap to cage it in, and then I can take it far away and release it... but, that's if it doesn't respond to this latest attempt.

-Robert
The airsoft should work great. I have a few of them I have been using for almost a couple decades. Dogs and cats run in fear. I guess because they can't tell what is pelting them or where it's coming from. Used it to run off a HUGE Heron that was trying to eat out of Wife's Koi pond. Harmless to the bird but works great to scare them off. My adult kids would often come over and have a blast chasing each other around with them too. :s0140:

They're AIRBORNE, Man!
A lot wilder and a lot faster than any homing pigeon bred by man.
These birds know their territory by rote.
I commend any attempt to avoid killing them.
Each must weigh the value of the damage they will do in a VERY short time.
Act according to your findings.

Would a plastic owl work? I seem to remember my Dad putting one on our roof for a while. Drove most of the smaller birds away.

My name is Mike J. and I'm an Ornithophile. It's roughly a $50.00+/- a month habit for me. I love all the eight or so varieties of bird that come to the feeders. We have a pair of Scrub Jays that have been with us for two previous years, and we figure it's the female, that will come to hand for peanuts. Also we have a pair of crows we watched raise two young last year. They have now forced last years young out on their own and are in the spring routine now and don't come to being called. That will change. It was really a treat watching those crows show their little one how to eat.

Yellow Shafted flickers, ("Yellow Hammers"). Nice! Are the Eastern Version. It's a shame, but if they were drilling hole in my house I'd do the same thing.

Some folks I knew tried everything to keep the flickers from putting holes in their house on the second story. What finally worked? There were windows on the second floor and the guy, sort of an eccentric type, had a life-size carboard cutout of John Wayne. He stood that cutout in the window and the flickers left the house alone after that.

Some folks I knew tried everything to keep the flickers from putting holes in their house on the second story. What finally worked? There were windows on the second floor and the guy, sort of an eccentric type, had a life-size carboard cutout of John Wayne. He stood that cutout in the window and the flickers left the house alone after that.

The Duke never could tolerate peckerwoods.

Another vote for the bird being a flicker that is purposefully making noise to attract a mate. I had one that continuously pecked on the air conditioning unit in our window (it always got the cat's attention). I bought a helium filled, mylar balloon at the local grocery store and attached it to the outside of the a.c... It worked.
I have noticed they like to peck the metal chimney cap on my neighbor's house.

I had to look up who that is... apparently she is on The View. Never thought I'd see dudes on here discussing that... lol.

Now that I have the heavy steel plate up, the bird has not returned. I've been waiting, just in case this bird is savvy with the internet and is enjoying tormenting me while twittering my posts.

I am happy it's gone, but... I never even got to use my new 6mm for some deserved live action.

-Robert

Damn bird has returned... this time hammering on the metal flue at the top of the chimney. I crept outside with my "bird spray" in my hand, but as soon as he saw me he flew away. Previously, he'd just stare, perhaps he knows what's up.

-Robert

Damn bird has returned... this time hammering on the metal flue at the top of the chimney. I crept outside with my "bird spray" in my hand, but as soon as he saw me he flew away. Previously, he'd just stare, perhaps he knows what's up.

-Robert
Bird spray? Bird spray?
They're past the wire, it's time for sticky bombs.

-Robert

So it's a metal pecker or a flue pecker...

Either way, kill the damn pecker.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads