JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
20210414_160358.jpg

It doesn't seem to be a woodpecker... as it's bigger.

Besides bird shot, how do I get it to never come back?

-Robert

It's either pecking to let the girls know he's in town and ready to mate or your house has bugs in it. My bet is the mating thing and he'll go away after the mating season is over.

Yep, he is trying to find a mate. If you want to run him off and not harm him an airsoft gun will do it. The cheap battery powered full auto one scare hell out of critters and do no harm to anything. Used to buy them at Wally. Think they stopped selling them but Ebay always has them. I use them to chase off stray cats and dogs too. Harmless but scare hell out of them.

It looks like a red-shafted flicker, which is a type of woodpecker.
I think you are correct and I'm pretty sure that's a female. One day while my wife and I were at work my daughter calls. She had gone by our house for some reason. She said, "Dad there's a big bird pecking on the side of your house". I got. home 2 hours later and there was a hardball size hole on the east side of my home. A bunch of insulation had been pulled out. The next day I was able to get the male with a 22lr bird shot. I looked it up and it was a flicker.. A beautiful bird and I felt bad about snuffing it. The next day There was another working the same area. So I tried a sneak except this time the female was sitting up in a tree playing lookout. I think she'd brought a new boy friend around. I suspect they were nesting. Anyway, in just a very few days there were 4 large holes at the side of the house. I had the east side resided and painted and that was two years ago and all remains well. I was astonished at how quickly they could penetrate and make make decent size holes.

Yep, that's a flicker. They're forever knocking holes in our house.

They sometimes get turned around in our woodshed, and end up trapped on our enclosed back porch. I took one of them over to church awhile back, on a Sunday morning. Tied a kite string to one of his legs and let a kid fly him some.

The bird did eventually get free. There sure are lot of them around. And yes, they'll bang away on the chimney cap and the air conditioner - just making noise, trying to be attractive.

There's a yellow-shafted flicker, too - but I've never seen one.

I think Grandpa Clarence used to call them "Yellow-Hammers", and "Red-Hammers".

Yep, he is trying to find a mate. If you want to run him off and not harm him an airsoft gun will do it. The cheap battery powered full auto one scare hell out of critters and do no harm to anything. Used to buy them at Wally. Think they stopped selling them but Ebay always has them. I use them to chase off stray cats and dogs too. Harmless but scare hell out of them.
50 BMG should take of the problem!!!

For a few years I had a small woodpecker that during mating season would perch on the vertical exhaust pipe of my Case backhoe and peck to make noise. Dinga-ding-ding-ding! I have no idea how he maintained a hold on that vertical pipe, although it was a little rusty.

Get yourself a DJI POV drone and use it chase the bird away, it'll be more fun and less destructive to your house. :)

Get yourself a DJI POV drone and use it chase the bird away, it'll be more fun and less destructive to your house. :)

DONT do this... Svrew DJI they are chinese. Quit giving china money. Buy a slingshot and call it good. Or buy a paintball gun off offer up or ebay. Some are dirt cheap. Im sure it will scare it or kill it if you want.
Some of the full auto or programmable ones are even fairly cheap. Saw some good ones on CL as well.

Last Edited:
Strips of shiny plastic ribbon or aluminum foil should work, they use the same thing on farms to scare birds away because they don't like shiny objects.

You can also buy them at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/XPCARE-Bird-...ocphy=9033250&hvtargid=pla-391219684539&psc=1
Excellent info... this damn bird has been coming by early in the morning, requiring me to get out of bed to scare it away. (Don't have an airsoft gun... yet)

We all looked at a picture of his pecker...o_O

I do not claim this pecker... lol

-Robert

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR