JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Top Choice BCG Finish

• Good ole’ Phosphate

• Black Nitride

• Nickel Boron

• Diamond Like Carbon (DLC)

• Titanium Nitride (TiN)

• NP3

• Old School Microslick

Results are only viewable after voting.
Same here, I've used the USGI stuff in some pretty beat up rifles in the service And black nitrides in my personals with no issues. I've got one pretty beat up old phosphate BCG from one of my first high-round count ARs that looks beat, but still works fine when lubed right.

Just curious what's out there in the wild versus what we see and read by the guntubers.

Ive had a nickel boron bcg in my AR since about 2013, and has performed flawlessly. it did get darker, but still slides like butter with or without lube. In my suppressed 9mm AR, I use the titanium nitride bcg and it is also very nice. Both clean super easy and worth the extra few dollars over a standard phosphate just in time spent cleaning.

Nitride is the one I prefer. Followed by nitride.

Of all the treatments or coatings I've used, nitrided stuff continuously performs well. Especially in suppressed guns.

I've had nickel boron flake at 5-10 thousand rounds suppressed. Similar with a titanium nitrided one.

If I really have to pick a second place it would be Parkerization. Or any treatment that penetrates a layer or so of the actually metal vs some sort of attempt at a bonded coating.

I don't know what to vote and don't want to throw off your poll.

I'm in the nitride camp. I only recently started to run a nickel boron in one rig, and so far I really do like it, but no idea how it's going to wear long term and high round counts. Too "new to me".

The other's... Zero experience. Spendy gucci and maybe sweet as all hell, but I can't see how the price tags are justifiable. I've got zero complaints about nitride to begin with so I doubt I'll ever know how the others run.

One of those, "If it ain't broke..." deals.

If I were to build another I would go nitride but actually like og, chrome lined phosphate. You don't see those much anymore. I don't shoot any one gun enough to really worry about it.

If you have ever used a TiN bolt, you will never, ever want to go back. Cryptic coatings is the OG when it comes to TiN BCG's. They are amazing. I realize many here will argue for black nitride due to their prevalence in mil spec builds, but the new coatings are truly amazing.

I don't have one, but I would prefer NP3 over all others, it the only self lubing coating listed. Boron is REALLY hard tough bubblegum. Its what they use for drilling heads and boring. Boron carbide with hog out tungsten carbide no problem. There can be minute differences from the process, but I'd rather have some impregnated lube in the mix if possible. Lots of these coatings are very hard and *potentially* destructive if not lubed. I'm very curious about Anderson's RF85 coating and its technical specs, Could very well be the best of all them.
But I do buy Robar NP3 parts whenever possible. But honestly I think the base material is far more important over all. I do have several nitrided parts that have chipped off of sharp corners due to nitride imbrittlement or over saturation. I have a lone wolf threaded barrel who's threads are flaking off, I had a few bear creek barrels that were flaking around the crown (see a pattern here aka "cheap bubblegume?) I also have a couple adj
bootleg BCG's that are chipping. I've also got a bunch more nitrided parts that have been done properly like BA, KKM, Faxon, AIM, etc.. All depends on the coater. There's good and bad again depends on the amount of free carbon available in the base material. There's many factors obviously.

If you have ever used a TiN bolt, you will never, ever want to go back. Cryptic coatings is the OG when it comes to TiN BCG's. They are amazing. I realize many here will argue for black nitride due to their prevalence in mil spec builds, but the new coatings are truly amazing.
Cryptic is who does the Toolcraft BCG's right? Their rose colored coatings (and really ALL of their coatings look amazing!
There again. Might be easy to clean and look amazing, but TiN is really hard industrial coating for drill bits..

Because the question is what I "prefer", I chose DLC as it can come in many colors if that's your thing and holds up well so far for me. I typically, however, use phosphate as I like to buy chrome lined carriers with C158 bolts and those are pretty darn much always phosphate.

I avoid nitride BCGs as the cheapest of the cheap brands sell those and I just can't bring myself to trust cheap stuff, despite everything else I own that's nitride being a great product from barrels to slides and sights.

Inexpensive vs cheap. The same $49 on special PSA nitride bcg I've see go for $179. It's more political timing than quality. As for the Gucci coatings, even those have to be done right to be worth anything.

60 yrs of phosphate/chrome lining using full auto says it's good to go and cost effective. I wonder if any special ops teams or contractors are using Gucci coatings in real life situations? I love a good looking, high value rifle as much as the next guy. No hate on the high tech coatings (process).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top