JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Salt , sugar and other spices? In my stores of rice and dried beans, I've tossed in the Costco size package of things like salt, sugar, garlic powder just in case I have to eat rice for every meal of the year. Someone might be willing to trade some ammo for a water filter too :)

Why not think of the things you're going to be trading for and stock up on those instead?

who know's what you'll need until you need it. I'm already stock in food/water/arms/ammo/propane... but what about the times when you need something you didn't plan for. For me I'd rather trade of something I was prepared to trade rather than something I knew
I needed.

I've always thought bartering a skill was best. You can't lose it and a skill is light weight to pack along anywhere.

Do you think a medical doctor will have to stock up on anything during SHTF? He'd become a one man trading post on account of the goods people would pay him for medical treatment.

Why not think of the things you're going to be trading for and stock up on those instead?
The idea is to not NEED anything, so you can trade less valuable stuff for whatever you may find yourself in need of. Seriously if the SHTF very few of us are going to be truly prepared. We can try, but there are always variables you didn't remember, plan on, or think about. I can't go camping without forgetting SOMETHING. I think the mormons might be prepared, they have made religion out of stockpiling guns, canned food and women. I think if the SHTF I'll go to my cousin's!

Skill, skills, skills, and more skills.

Water, filters, chems, testers, jugs, buckets, cans etc
Food, bulk, dehydrated, seed, fish, hunt, raise rabbits, salt, salt, salt, cooking oil,seasonings, wheat, beans, rice, fresh garden veggies, honey
More food, fishing gear, nets, field dressing and butchering tools
Shelter, clothing, boots, gloves, coats, cold weather gear
Medical equipment, tools, first aid supplies, medications, OTC, antibiotics
Fuel, gas, diesel, propane, cans, cylinders, solar PV panels, charges, inverters, deep cycle batteries, rechargeable batteries, wood, coal,
Personal hygiene-comfort items, TP, ladies necessities, tooth paste-brushes-floss, soap, shampoo, deodorant, cleaners, solvents, adhesives, chocolate
Tools, hand tools, gardening tools, rope, cable, paracorde, welding gas,
duct tape, hardware, nails, screws, nuts, bolts, epoxies, JB weld, tarps, plastic sheeting, demo tools, block and tackle, come-along, port-a-power
Batteries for flashlights, weapon sights, NVG gear, ammo, reloading supplies.
Primers-powder-bullets for common calibers. This list never ends:D

Stitchclimber - good question on SHTF trading items.

I think most anything will be trading material depending on what you what to trade for. As far as extra material and equipment that are not in my main supply line that I am saving because they would be good give aways or bartering material are:

Odd ammunition and magazines for guns I no longer have (would be careful about who to and what I let go)
Butane lighters (I buy them in packs of 4 or 8 and have several packs put away.
Soap (I travel so I keep the Hotel soap - have about 90 little bars in a bucket - same with small toothbrushes and toothpaste)
One Quart Canteens with metal cup (have a bunch of two quart canteens stored in a kitbag in the garage as well.
Military OD Green Ponchos
550 cord (parachute line)
Small Canisters of Bullion Cubes and Small Salt Shakers (the restaurant supply kind)
Super Glue (good for everything including of sealing cuts and wounds)
Small, one time use triple anti-biotic ointment packets and bandaids
Aspirin, Motrin and Acetaminophen - which I buy in large bottles of 500 or 750 tabs/capsules
Blankets (don't think I have thrown any out in many years)
As I replaced our pots and pans (the wife had to have some expensive ones) I saved all the old ones and they are now in a box in the garage
Gun cleaning kits (I probably have three for every gun I own)
MRE's, I keep even the expired ones as some of their content will still be good

I actually wrote a post on barter items on my site. http://www.urbansurvivalskills.com

cheers,

UrbanMan

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews