JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
upload_2015-2-27_19-20-31.png
representative image
Ruger #3 45-70

Last Edited:
I guess it would be the Charter Arms Undercover 38 special that I have. It was my dads' off duty gun when he was on the police force. That was a long time ago. It is nothing special but only one of a few things of his that I still have.

The old 30-40 Krag. Dad's old rifle, my brother calls "just an old ranch gun". I bought it from Dad for $50 bucks when I was 15. Sold it to my brother when I was 18 for $50 bucks. 40 years later, my brother calls me up and asks if I want it back. Said yes, how much? $50 bucks. DONE!

1892: The 30-40 Krag, which was the US military's first smokeless-powder cartridge, as well as its first small-bore rifle cartridge. One of the Krag's greatest boons was the rifle in which it came: the Krag-Jorgensen. Although this rifle wasn't the easiest gun to mass-produce, it was perhaps the smoothest-operating bolt action rifle ever designed.

The side clip makes it really fast to reload. Just flip it open with your thumb, dump a handful in, slap it closed and jack one in. It's still extremely accurate and a real pleasure to shoot. I would risk my life for this 'ol boy!

30-40 Krag1.jpg

30-40 Krag2.jpg

Not sure i've been in this 'business' long enough to have this level of attachment, but i guess i should maybe name my first gun?

Seems al little out of place with everyone mentioning their childhood/old guns (impossible for me) but my first was my Beretta 92FS, which i still love, both in looks and feel.

I think you should be required :D to post a picture in this thread, and then realised that i didn't have one, then i remembered that i had one from a long time ago :)

beretta92.jpg

beretta92-2.jpg

Mine are a pair, a Kimber of Oregon M-82 in .22-K Hornet, and a Kimber M-84 in .223. Both are hand assembled for the closest tolerances and have specially polished mating surfaces. The .223 has a number of custom features, bolt, stock, trigger, extractor and sear. They are both accurate but the M-84 is just nuts! Both rifles were built by my buddies and I when I worked at Kimber of Oregon (triggers, sears and M-84, Mauser style extractors). The M-84's serial no. is my initials + my DOB.

Aside from the #1 Remington rolling block I posted earlier in this thread, there's also my mother's Colt 1903 pocket model, actually manufactured in 1915. I have the original grips for it, which are on it right now, and I have 3 factory original 8 round magazines for it. These days just an original magazine is going for around $150. The holster is a vintage custom job, hand made for it. This was my mother's pillow gun. It's a dream to carry concealed even if the .32 auto cartridge isn't exactly an anti-tank cartridge. Since this picture was taken I found an original (non-brass) Colt 5-48 thread shoulder screw for the slide safety. It ran me $25, but now this pistol is all original.

This is what I was carrying last Saturday, Cogs. :)

colt32a.jpg
colt32b.jpg

It's kind of interesting. I just realized that the Colt .32 auto pistol above is 100 years old this year, as would have been my mother, since she was born in 1915. This one is never leaving my possession as long as I'm still breathing. I do need to teach my wife to shoot it. She's very willing, but there never seems to be enough time without tiny ones around. Maybe next year.

hafta be my 94 winchester in 25-35; woulda been a deluxe if it hadn't got messed up at the engraver's. has the double set trigger(s), the pistol grip & checkering, the 26" octagon barrel, and a marbles tang sight. it's not that collectible, since it's been re-barreled, but it shoots nice and doesn't aggravate my arthritic shoulder, even when i shoot it a lot. second gun would be the martini cadet, rechambered to 32 win special (but i shoot it at 32-40 specs and below). wish i could find one in the original 310 rook chambering, but this'n's nicer than i'd 've guessed. don't need no plastic stocks, no whizz-bang magnums, no banana-clip whoop-de-do's. i have a fondness fer the old days, the old ways, and good venison.
mind yer topknots!
windy

"sonny, whar i growed up, "magnum" wuz another word fer "lousy hunter"

hafta be my 94 winchester in 25-35; woulda been a deluxe if it hadn't got messed up at the engraver's. has the double set trigger(s), the pistol grip & checkering, the 26" octagon barrel, and a marbles tang sight. it's not that collectible, since it's been re-barreled, but it shoots nice and doesn't aggravate my arthritic shoulder, even when i shoot it a lot. second gun would be the martini cadet, rechambered to 32 win special (but i shoot it at 32-40 specs and below). wish i could find one in the original 310 rook chambering, but this'n's nicer than i'd 've guessed. don't need no plastic stocks, no whizz-bang magnums, no banana-clip whoop-de-do's. i have a fondness fer the old days, the old ways, and good venison.
mind yer topknots!
windy

"sonny, whar i growed up, "magnum" wuz another word fer "lousy hunter"

I hear you, Windy! I have my moms .25-35 carbine. It was her deer rifle and she took a big Northern Nevada Mulie buck every year, like clock work! Course, the old gal was a competitive target shooter. :)

Things change so often. My collection has grown, shrunk, grown, shrunk, changed, etc. for years. At one point I had all kinds of "tactical" guns. AR's, AK's, Vang-Comp 870, Glocks, etc. But it seems that as the world changes, so do my passions. I still have an appreciation for all things that go boom. But I honestly don't have one black gun (AR, AK, shotgun) right now, except the M&P9 pistol that I carry everyday. I now have a collection of old school rifles, sporterized rifles, etc. I have been more appreciative of beauty and function than just function lately.

With a changing collection, a growing family, and a small gun shop that I am still trying to grow, it has shown me exactly what in my collection matters to me. As things get sold to fund weddings, family needs, etc., it turns out that what matters is a S&W Model 67 .38 special, my M1 Garand, an 03a3, the Ruger Redhawk Andy Horvath Custom that I carried in Alaska as a fishing guide, and a few others. It turns out that those must be my pride and joy, as those are the ones that are still here. It turns out that my pride and joy firearms aren't my pride and joy because they are the most expensive, the rarest, or even the coolest, newest toy. Its the people I got them from. Its guns that my father let me shoot as a child. Its the guns I got from close friends.

Probably a little sappier than is normal on a gun forum, but that's where my small collection is at these days. More about the memories than the guns.

Things change so often. My collection has grown, shrunk, grown, shrunk, changed, etc. for years. At one point I had all kinds of "tactical" guns. AR's, AK's, Vang-Comp 870, Glocks, etc. But it seems that as the world changes, so do my passions. I still have an appreciation for all things that go boom. But I honestly don't have one black gun (AR, AK, shotgun) right now, except the M&P9 pistol that I carry everyday. I now have a collection of old school rifles, sporterized rifles, etc. I have been more appreciative of beauty and function than just function lately.

With a changing collection, a growing family, and a small gun shop that I am still trying to grow, it has shown me exactly what in my collection matters to me. As things get sold to fund weddings, family needs, etc., it turns out that what matters is a S&W Model 67 .38 special, my M1 Garand, an 03a3, the Ruger Redhawk Andy Horvath Custom that I carried in Alaska as a fishing guide, and a few others. It turns out that those must be my pride and joy, as those are the ones that are still here. It turns out that my pride and joy firearms aren't my pride and joy because they are the most expensive, the rarest, or even the coolest, newest toy. Its the people I got them from. Its guns that my father let me shoot as a child. Its the guns I got from close friends.

Probably a little sappier than is normal on a gun forum, but that's where my small collection is at these days. More about the memories than the guns.

No, that's not sappy at all. It's perfectly legitimate! While I chose rifles that I created with with my buddys, they are now family heirlooms, but I also have my dads Mossberg .22, moms old Winchester and a S&W .38spl, given to me by an old friend who died untimely. Never sell those! It's sad that a lot of folks don't have guns that were handed down the generations or from dear friends! SRG

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top