JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Pretty sure its either My Winchester Model 1895 in 30-40 Krag with the factory Lyman receiver sight 28" barrel and deluxe wood non checkered. I got from my dad. I stood next to him when he bought it in 1968.

1895009web-1.jpg

Or my T/C Hawkin I built from a kit before the wife and I were married, It has been modified with a Green Mountain target round ball barrel and a special set of double set triggers. I also made all accoutermentsents to go with it

50calHawkinPlainsjpg.jpg

Now that is my favorite I don't have yet. I would say if I had this one I would be able to make up my mind. But for now. I don't know. I like them all for this reason or that reason. I don't buy them for grins and giggles. :s0155:

************* edit **************8

I got the wrong quote some how. Rats! that M1A is what I was referring too.

Last Edited:
Mine would be my Ithaca M37 20 ga. shotgun. It is well worn, but I have a lot of memories of hunting quail, pheasant, and bunnies in Kansas where I grew up with that shotgun. I can remember to this day opening up the box on Christmas morning when I was 14.

I have the same gun in my safe. I also got mine at 14. I graduated from a Mossberg bolt action .410 to the Ithaca 20 ga model 37. The action is still smooth as butter. It was made in 1949. The bottom loading and ejection make it perfect for all conditions.

Here's my pride and joy, and my most expensive item. It is a Remington rolling block #1 sporting rifle originally in .38 Long rimfire. It belonged to my paternal grandfather. He was born in 1866 and died in 1913. It may also have belonged to his father, born in 1825, died in 1900.

This is what it looks like today after a lot of money and a full year of work by Jim Dubell at Delta Gunshop in Colville, WA:

RRBRestore-RtFullUpsm.jpg
RRBRestore-LeftFullsm.jpg
RBRifle_35c.jpg

Here's the old buttstock. When I was bequeathed this rifle it was unshootable. The rifling was barely visible under the corrosion. There was no external finish left. It had been in a cabin fire prior to 1900. The original forestock had been replaced with a hand carved piece of oak, and this butt stock was the original, but badly scorched.

RRBRestore-OldButtGoodsm.jpg

Here it is in the white during restoration. It still had the old wood on it. I had Jim install a 4160 liner in order to save the beautiful, 30" tapered octagon barrel, and chamber it for .357 Mag. The new wood and forestock cap came from Treebone Carving in AZ.

RRBLeftReceiver.jpg
RRBRightReceiver.jpg

I'm not sure who I'll leave it to, but I'll never sell it.

Third one from the right is a 1982 magnum research imported all matching serial number, #8 of the first 100 imported (factory certificate) and all accessories included, 7.62x51 galil.
DSCN0365.jpg

The only close up I have. I am the second owner. The first bought her in 1982, fired 500 rounds and accidentally made her a safe queen until I bought her in 2007.

abd0e39b.jpg

SF-

Mine would have to be my S&W Model 66 Snubbie. Shoots like a dream and carries nicely.

A close 2nd, or equal, would be my 1924 Savage 99 Breakdown in 250 Savage inherited from my Stepfather.

For me its my 20ga 870 I got for xmas from my old man when I was in 8th grade, so somethin like 10 years back.. Its nothing amazing but its my first gun, and I plan on giving it to my 1st born.. when ever that is..

More details please on this beauty. Is it post Series 70 / pre Series 80? About how many were made? Why only 1 year production, were they a limited special run?

The Combat Government Model came out in 1983, which was also the last year for the 1st generation Series 70 (Series 80 production started later that same year).
In 1984-85 they made the Combat Government, but they were Series 80 models (Firing Pin Safety).

Only a few thousand (less then 5000) Series 70 style Combat Government Models were made, they are the precursor to the Combat Elite which came out in 1986.

They have mods that were commonly sought after from gunsmiths at that time: lowered and flared ejection port, better sights, flat MSH, long trigger, serrated front strap, and beveled magazine well. They still retain the Series 70 barrel and collet bushing.

They also had options for a wide duckbill style grip safety, that could be used with the spur hammer, and a flat checkered MSH.
I contacted Colt, and they sent me the duckbill grip safety for no charge.

The originals came with Pachmayr grips with both the Colt logo and Gold medallions. It don't come with the gun when I got it, but have since tracked down and bought them for it...but I like a good set of DD grips.

I have several guns that are special to me. Not counting a couple of family heirlooms this 1951 Colt is the tops.
I'd traded for it, then traded it away. When it came back up for sale I had my chance to right my wrong.
I'll be hanging on to it this time!
guns140-1.jpg

I have 3... Nothing overly expensive about them.
1. Single shot .410 shotgun, passed down from my grandfather
2. Winchester 30-30, was my fathers, then my uncles, then mine. Its rought but nice little shooter
3. Winchester model 24, 20g. Was my fathers, he paid 50 bucks for it. I need to replace the stocks, its rough but has shot a lot of snakes.

Please, and with all due respect with respect to the Colt Combat Government Model Series 70, production was initiated in 1981, continued 1982 and into 1983. I have representatives from each production year.

As to the Series 80 models, I believe that this model's production began in 1983.

Unless Colt's records are wrong, they were first brought out in 1983, as a non firing pin model.
They used the Series 70 barrel and collet bushing, and had a "70G" serial number prefix.

The regular Series 80 models did come out in 1983, but the Combat Gov model did not have the firing pin safety.

The Combat Gov model did incorporate the firing pin safety in both 84 & 85, and was replaced by the Combat Elite in '86, pictured here;

My 1986 Combat Elite;

ce1.jpg

If you have earlier versions, pleeeeeeeeeeeez post some pics...would love to see them.

Colt provided me with the dates of manufacture for each of my pistols. That is the extent to which I may comment about the veracity of their records.

All of my specimens have a 70B prefix and that is what I have read is the correct prefix for the Colt Combat Government Model Series 70. I, however, will incorporate your information into my lexicon and thank you.

Sorry, I hit the G instead of the B...it is a 70B prefix.

The MKIV Series 70 Government Model Colt were made from 1970 to 1983. "70G" serial number on those made from 1970 to 1976. From 1976 to 1980 have "G70" suffixes. Those made from 1979-1981 have "B70" suffixes. Those made from 1981 to 1983 have "70B" prefixes. The Series 70 had a Government and a Combat Government model. The Series 70 featured an accurizer "collet" barrel bushing.

The Series 80 Combat Gov models had a "FG" prefix serial number.

I will have to do some research it appears, thanks for the info.

Still would love to see some pics.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads