Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

What is your preferred Bedding Material?

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by deadshot2, Jan 29, 2012.

1. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

What is your preferred bedding material for that ultimate bedding job?

Acraglas?
    Marine-Tex?
    Devcon?
    J-B Weld

I've recently bedded a couple of rifles, one 1903 Springfied 30-06 and another a Remington in .308 using Devcon 10110. I like it a lot as it's not "drippy", cures solid, and is also machinable so I can mill out the mag box/trigger inletting for a nice finished look.

What are YOUR preferences and why you like them best?

A note on J-B Weld (regular, not quick cure) I like it for bedding one-piece picatinny scope rails. Only need a small amount so it's easier to mix than the Devcon which is best done with a scale for proper proportions.

2. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

It all depends on the job. I prefer marinetex for jobs where just the action is getting bedded. It tends to stay where I put it (less runny). I've used Devcon. It works. I still prefer marinetex. Just do. No specific reason. Both probably work as well.

I also use acra-glass for jobs where I actually want a good amount of flow to the material, such as bedding a barrel channel.

3. Straight Shooter

Straight Shooter North Bend OR Active Member

MarineTex, if there was something better I would be using it. It's physical properties once cured are measurably better than Devcon. Mixed by weight it's a pleasure to apply. I use a big syringe to put exactly where I need it.

If something better comes along I will use that.

4. pacific keeper

pacific keeper North Coast New Member

Acraglas when it needs to flow , Acraglas gel when I need it to stay put . But , I haven't used the others .

5. tdb59

tdb59 OR Active Member

Original acraglas, as it can be dyed, and flows easily, and penetrates slightly into the wood grain.

6. KalamaMark

KalamaMark Kalama Wa Well-Known Member

Flannel sheets in the winter with a wool blanket and down comforter, high thread count cotton sheets in the summer.

ogre and (deleted member) like this.
  7. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

But do they improve your "grouping"?;)