Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

What is your opinion on removing a Mag safety

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by 40calruler, Jan 17, 2014.

1. 40calruler

40calruler Lake Oswego Well-Known Member

I know that in court they could make you look worse for having removed a safety device from a pistol and having used the weapon in self defense. Other than that scenario I just got a Ruger LC9 and I thought I would not like it much (got it on trade and wanted the P22 it came with the most).
    So now I shot it and realize I love both guns. Only problem is I carry in the pocket or IWB and even with my IWB holster that is made for the LC9 the stupid mag release keeps getting pressed rendering it useless if I had to pull quick. It is easy to remove the safety and get a shot off before snapping the mag back in but is there a good reason not to do it? I am looking for the people with knowledge on here not the people who just want to carry on their agenda about getting a Glock if I do not want a mag safety. Love the gun, Hate that safety.

2. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

Its your gun and our life. For me I fall back to the adage, I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.

3. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

I know for a fact that many disable/remove the magazine safety on Browning Hi-Powers. It is what it is and is perhaps the proverbial two edged sword.. each must make up his own mind/assume individual responsibility regarding many things in life.

4. 2Wheels4Ever

2Wheels4Ever Portland Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

I would do it without hesitation. Those things are a pain in the a$$. Every time you want to disassemble your gun you have to stick the mag in there first to engage the trigger, and it is just one more thing that could possible malfunction in the time of need. In addition to all that, when the mag safety is removed, it generally improves the trigger pull as well.

5. 40calruler

That is what I have read in a few forums that had videos on how to remove the safety. It is easy to do and it really is concerning when I get home and take my gun out and realize the mag is slightly out. Had I needed it I would have had to snap it back in before shooting an attacker. I do not like that at all. I am going to pull that thing out and see how the trigger feels, feel much more confident in it always shooting when I draw if need be. When I said I may sell it if I did not like it I had no idea that it was really a pretty accurate and reliable little piece. Just forget its there until you need it and that safety has been the only thing that has held me back from carrying it more often and letting the M&P rest a while.

6. 40calruler

I have heard that and I had not thought about it until I just saw your post. Very true. A useless gun gets me killed while if I am defending my life or someone else I stand a good chance of being able to explain why I did that if it even came up. Makes me very nervous that I am noticing myself checking a lot to be sure the mag is all the way in. Do not have to do that with any other carry I have.

7. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Vancouver Well-Known Member

I have no objection to getting rid of the Magazine safety, I have an LC9 that I carry and I have never had it do that, I have not heard from anyone else that has one, that this is a perennial issue with the gun.

I would suggest you replace the Magazine (what's the harm in owning another magazine?) and the holster and see if that solved your problem. I have a nice leather/Kydex baby moon Kholster holster that I carry IWB,it works so well, I just love it, it was shipped it me for $45.

8. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

Its yours so do it! BUT keep the parts, and reinstall if you ever sell or trade it off. I hate mag safetys.

I have also made allot of money on used guns being traded in and the mag safety has been altered. A shop cannot resell any firearm that has had the safety disabled.

9. 40calruler

I had not considered it being a mag issue. It did come with three on the trade I just have kept the one in that I have loaded with Horniday. I could try using one of the other two mags and see how it goes but the only thing that has made that not cross my mind is when it is in my pocket it does not ever pop out. It just seems to do so in the Holster IWB. Mag shoots perfect, all of them do but I will try carrying another mag in it and see I think I am somehow hitting that mag release though. Sitting down or leaning against something I do not know but I get the feeling I am hitting that button without wanting to or knowing I did. My cousin had the same issue with a full size M&P but it of course does not have a mag safety. He ended up switching the release to a left handed mag release and that solved his issue since the IWB holster had the mag release exposed and just barrel, trigger inside...as does mine. That is one other thing I considered. It is a lighter than average mag release from what I am used to so that may be a flaw in just my gun itself.

10. 40calruler

Yeah I figure if I pull it out I will need to put it in if I sell it. I have a drawer full of parts from all my firearms now and of the past. Just keep everything labeled and easy to pull out and put guns back to stock if I sell them. I was hoping an old LCP lasermax would work but thats a n go so thats just going to sit until I get another or feel the urge to sell it off. I agree with you as well...I HATE MAG SAFETIES.

11. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Grow a ****** vadge. that was code for wtf

12. 40calruler

My vadge is in tact and on my wife. I am not sure what you are wtfing about. I am far from a gunsmith and curious from the guys on here who do this stuff a lot. This would be the first time I removed a factory piece from a gun so thats what you guys are here for...Good advice.

13. 40calruler

I should edit that a bit. The first time I did it on my own without the help of my Cousin with all the proper tools.

14. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

Did it to my 22-45, it sucked. Never have bought any other firearm that had one, but sure would have got rid of it in a hurry.

15. humdrum

humdrum Lakewood Active Member

I have had that problem on a Kel-Tec pistol. The mag just would not stay in, and after a bit of experimenting/trial and error with pocket-carry, I found out that the mag release button was just too danged long. I trimmed it down closer to the frame and the problem went away. Turns out there was just too much button sticking out from the pistol and it was being pushed inadvertently while in my pocket. I was able to correct the problem without disabling any "safeties" built into the pistol.

16. clambo

clambo Vancouver, Wa. Well-Known Member

I leave mine in place. I have a young grandson. Although I do keep my house pistol in a quick access lock box next to my bed it makes me feel better knowing there is an extra layer of safety to be had by carrying the magazine in my pocket when he is here. I allso like the fact that rearming the gun is as simple as reinserting the magazine. Just another tool as far as Im concerned.

17. 40calruler

I have two young daughters and that is always a issue with guns in the house. I just am sure to either have whatever gun is out in a holster on my body or in the biometric safe. Amazing how quick those pop open once they learn your finger print. So I am not too concerned about the kids getting their hands on anything but it is something to think about that i could just know it is going to need to be popped in. Just means I need to think about how bad I want to carry it and have it my way because after a day of trying a different holster and a different mag I just pulled it out of the holster and the mag was not seated. Just around the house not doing anything excessive that could in my mind cause that. I may just need to forget the holsters and go with pocket carry only with this one since it is not an issue then.

18. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

Uh, ya notice how easy the mfgs. designed the mag safety to be removed on most guns?

19. mancat

mancat Kitsap County Well-Known Member

I have a Walther G22 that had frequent FTF issues until the mag safety was removed.

20. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

First thing I do to a BHP. It's a fighting gun and the mag disconnect makes it a non gun while reloading