JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Most usually in starting a thread like this, I would withhold my own response until others had contributed. In this case, I will start off by saying that I learned MULTIPLE options were open to use "other caliber" dies to accomplish things with a different caliber. A great example would be using a .221 Fireball die as a "neck sizing only" die for any similar caliber of longer case length (.222, .223). I have also used dies to act as a "Stage One" resizing die to ease the transition when re-forming from a parent case (As opposed to utilizing only the Full Length resizing die for such forming operations).

There is no prohibition here against something you discovered on your own, but found it published or noted at a later date (and wished you'd read that).

These are satisfying (and memorable when one "stumbles on them") discoveries and should be shared.

I wouldn't consider it clever (or self-discovered) but I use my .40 S&W die to decap and size my .357 Sig cases before using the .357 Sig decap/sizing die (with decapping pin removed) to then size the neck. This method avoids the need for lubrication.

One simple trick that I share often with loaders is to mark the die and loader with a marker to get your die as close to the last time as possible. IE repeatable crimps or headspace.

I use a lee universal cartridge feed magazine setup with one of my Hornady Lock-n-Load progressives for 9mm.

This guy here:

Had to slightly modify the attachment portion using a dremil cutoff wheel.

Is "fast enough" for me. Grab a case and push it over.

Is quiet, one of the main reasons I did such. Rather than going with an automated case system. I would find automated case feeders noise bothersome, however its possible I could get used to the noise. Dunno.

I enjoy the quiet time of reloading, so don't want to get used to a noise...

-Also added the lee funnel to it, so just dump cases in. Turn the magazine as needs be.

I make set-up/dummy cartridges for everything I load. Makes die set up easier and creates a collection of samples. Each is engraved with a number, with data entered in my reloading notebook.

Joe

I set both my turret press and single stage press up with ramps that feed into a bin and auto case ejectors. This really cuts down on handling and speeds up the process greatly. While this was not my idea, I did fabricate and install these with my own twists on the concept.

I screw the neck expander ball up high enough that the ball just falls through the neck on the down stroke. that way as I start up the ball is being pulled up into the neck with the neck still held in perfect alignment by the sizing die. This cut my run out to near nothing.
When the ball was down low to be used to decap old primers , by the time the ball engauged the neck the neck would be in the middle of the die body and the only thing holding it straight was the shell holder. Sometime grab a shell and see how much play the shell holder has. and if that ball gets started crooked the neck will be crooked. DR

I screw the neck expander ball up high enough that the ball just falls through the neck on the down stroke. that way as I start up the ball is being pulled up into the neck with the neck still held in perfect alignment by the sizing die. This cut my run out to near nothing.
When the ball was down low to be used to decap old primers , by the time the ball engauged the neck the neck would be in the middle of the die body and the only thing holding it straight was the shell holder. Sometime grab a shell and see how much play the shell holder has. and if that ball gets started crooked the neck will be crooked. DR
That's a very clear explanation of a great accuracy improving tip, thanks.

I screw the neck expander ball up high enough that the ball just falls through the neck on the down stroke.
That's a very clear explanation of a great accuracy improving tip, thanks.
Be aware, this works well with the same brass. Change from one vendor to another, or if you have the dreaded "neck donut" and don't know it yet -- you could get yourself in a badly stuck case situation.
BTDT, as I used to do this. Now I use a mandrel when it matters. Much easier....

As mentioned above. I size without the expander ball, and use a mandrel to open up the case mouth.

Use a carbide mandrel. It costs more but will last forever and has less drag.

I made special anvil using a Lee hand depriming anvil and a section of 3/4" copper tubing. The little anvil is pressed into the tubing then a section of tubing that fits snug inside the outer tube is slipped up inside to hold the anvil in place. this assembly is then placed in a coffee can. with a hole cut in the side of both pieces of tubing to allow primers to fall down the length of the tube and out into the coffee can. The anvil is held at working height while I am sitting on my reloading stool I then use the little LEE depriming punch to knock out the primers using a plastic hammer. No risk to any decapping die pin and I can take a crimped military primer out like nothing.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top