JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yea, I've eaten an apple and that's precious.

:rolleyes:
it's not the cost, it's the satisfaction of eating food you have grown
yes, I am a firearm enthusiast, and have built many 1K+ firearms
but at 71, my main passion is gardening
harvesting Asian Cucumbers and Zucchini today
to harvest a cucumber early in the morning, before the sun hits it, still covered in dew, and sit on the truck tailgate eating it is what this old man lives for
cut an 8" zucchini off the vine, walk up to the house, slice it and cook it in the airfryer with garlic, Italian spices and parmesan cheese
9 min from harvest to plate

the other night, a cat got our large female goose - took it right from in front of our porch at 9:30 at night, but under a spotlight
Daddy goose ran up onto the porch and screamed at our front door to alert us
my son and I ran into the yard to try to find her and he saw a cat dragging her off through the orchard
when he yelled the cat dropped the bird, but only back off about 15' and watched us
it's been years since we had an animal attack in our fenced yard, so I had become complacent and all the rifles were put away
it was obvious I couldn't use anything high powered since my neighbor barn was behind the cat
and it was hiding between the trees in the orchard, so a shotgun would have destroyed an apple tree
grabbed a 10/22, but this one had a 2x7 scope on it - I found this was totally useless at night at 25 yrds
I just blasted the 10 rnd mag in it's general direction and it took off - I didn't find a blood trail

so as of the next morning, I put this together for the front door - a custom built Ruger 10/22
note the M1 carbine style wooden stock
Tony Kidd internals, bolt, trigger, mag retainer and buffer
scope is a 30mm Bushnell Holographic 1X with Red for day and green for night
loaded with CCI Mini Mag hollow points - they deliver 125 lbs of muzzle energy, which is enough for racoons, coyotes and cats

what do you keep at your front door for predators - 4 legged or 2

and I was able to get 4 new gosling to keep Daddy bird company
you may know, geese mate for life and he spent the next day wandering the yard calling for her, but at least he has company now

View attachment 997864 View attachment 997865 View attachment 997870
I suggest you invest in a $100 weapon mounted light.

we couldn't make it out in the dark, but our neighbor caught what looked like a Lynx on their trail cam the day before

we had a young cougar take one of our geese 15 years ago, Fish and Game came out and verified the prints in the mud
when we had Fish and Game out here, they told us to use the theory of "SHOOT, SHOVEL AND SHUT UP"
If I shot a cat out here, I wouldn't post it on this forum

12 Gauge Winny 97 trench/riot shotgun loaded with 1 "Duster" round, 1 #8 shot, and 3 "T" shot!
For vermin, a .22 rifle fed with "CB" subsonics, great for rats, possum, and feral cats!
this Ruger was built for the heavy 60 gn sub sonic rounds - 1/9 twist
but we have found the CCI mini mags have a deadlier affect on small varmints
plus if you miss, the supersonic crack scares them off

I was sighting in the 60 gn from this rifle one day at 100 yrds, my neighbor was about 35 yrds away laterally from my target area on his property and he could hear the "WACK" of the bullet hitting the old Fir tree logs, but never heard the concussion of the rifle

Bwaaa... :p

05704a631282cbc3f56dfe21b305ad22.jpg

the other night, a cat got our large female goose - took it right from in front of our porch at 9:30 at night, but under a spotlight
Daddy goose ran up onto the porch and screamed at our front door to alert us
my son and I ran into the yard to try to find her and he saw a cat dragging her off through the orchard
when he yelled the cat dropped the bird, but only back off about 15' and watched us
it's been years since we had an animal attack in our fenced yard, so I had become complacent and all the rifles were put away
it was obvious I couldn't use anything high powered since my neighbor barn was behind the cat
and it was hiding between the trees in the orchard, so a shotgun would have destroyed an apple tree
grabbed a 10/22, but this one had a 2x7 scope on it - I found this was totally useless at night at 25 yrds
I just blasted the 10 rnd mag in it's general direction and it took off - I didn't find a blood trail

so as of the next morning, I put this together for the front door - a custom built Ruger 10/22
note the M1 carbine style wooden stock
Tony Kidd internals, bolt, trigger, mag retainer and buffer
scope is a 30mm Bushnell Holographic 1X with Red for day and green for night
loaded with CCI Mini Mag hollow points - they deliver 125 lbs of muzzle energy, which is enough for racoons, coyotes and cats

what do you keep at your front door for predators - 4 legged or 2

and I was able to get 4 new gosling to keep Daddy bird company
you may know, geese mate for life and he spent the next day wandering the yard calling for her, but at least he has company now

View attachment 997864 View attachment 997865 View attachment 997870
By 'front door gun,' you mean the one President Biden suggested shooting through the front door with. I believe he suggested a 12-ga. pump with which to commit that felony. 😎

By 'front door gun,' you mean the one President Biden suggested shooting through the front door with. I believe he suggested a 12-ga. pump with which to commit that felony. 😎
we can't shoot through the door here in Washington, you have to give them the courtesy of opening the door first

granted for 2 legged predators the 12 ga is the best choice, but for 4 legged varmints I prefer a little more accuracy

I'd hate to pepper my new Chevy truck or apple trees with buckshot

but a bayonet on your 12 ga is an option for close in

Mossberg 590.JPG

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads