JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am curious what various positions ppl use. For pistol shooting. :)

HAHAHAHAHAHAaaaaa....... That's what she said. ;)

Seriously though, you should train/practice the way you intend to fight. In general I use the modified weaver stance, or sometimes a two handed "A-frame" (for a lack of a better term) stance. Its better to shoot a pistol using both hands because it aids in stability, control, and accuracy... But one-handed practice is a good skill to develop as well. Versatility is king!

two handed is good from all different positions but like stated above you need to practice 1 handed strong and weak side also not only standing but kneeling and even on your back starting with the gun in your hand and in the holster, just because you knever know what will take place before you are able to get to your gun.

Yeah I think versatility is the best bet. I recently figured out I am very left eye dominent but shoot right handed I want to figure out a good position to shoot from. I need to start practicing more and make the weird feeling go away shooting left handed hopefully it will help out my accuracy too. Guess its really gonna come down to practicing alot more.

Yeah I think versatility is the best bet. I recently figured out I am very left eye dominent but shoot right handed I want to figure out a good position to shoot from. I need to start practicing more and make the weird feeling go away shooting left handed hopefully it will help out my accuracy too. Guess its really gonna come down to practicing alot more.

Do you usually shoot eyes open or do you close your left when you shoot right handed? You may want to consider ways to retrain your brain to focus on the right eye while keeping both open. Perhaps knock out the right lens of a pair of cheap sunglasses and tape the left to black it out? Just spitballing here.

Yeah usually both eyes open. Yeah heard someone mention the tape thing. Does it strain your eyes when you do it or you just do it while shooting? I have like 15/20 vision so dont want to mess it up.

Whatever you do, practice like you mean it.

I watched a video recently of some British soldiers in a firefight and they ALL took the time to put their empty magazines in their carrier vests as they cycled a fresh magazine into their guns. This is an example of "range training gone horribly wrong" and could get one of them killed. I'm sure Haji isn't worried about pocketing his AK magazines neatly to avoid a drill instructors wrath.

Dropping a magazine on a concrete floor makes us all cringe but you will do under stress what you practice in training so find a way to keep it real.

Just my 2 cents.

Whatever you do, practice like you mean it.

I watched a video recently of some British soldiers in a firefight and they ALL took the time to put their empty magazines in their carrier vests as they cycled a fresh magazine into their guns. This is an example of "range training gone horribly wrong" and could get one of them killed. I'm sure Haji isn't worried about pocketing his AK magazines neatly to avoid a drill instructors wrath.

Dropping a magazine on a concrete floor makes us all cringe but you will do under stress what you practice in training so find a way to keep it real.

Just my 2 cents.

I've read where cops have been found shot and dying with empty cases in there pocket because of range training

That was my point exactly.

Way back when I had an opportunity to do some range time with an FBI team. It was their range so I was required to use one of their guns. Being conscious that this was not my gun, I made the mistake of ejecting an empty magazine from the Sig and catching it in my week hand. The range officer walked up behind me and yelled, "I'm shooting at you man. What the hell are you doing catching your magazines? You're dead."

He then motioned for me to drop the magazine on the ground, which I did immediately. Anyone in earshot laughed. I found out later that they had several documented instances of agents doing exactly as you said, policing brass into their week hand pocket for revolvers and gingerly swapping magazines in and out of their pouches for semi-autos. They started realistic training soon after but being a civilian, I hadn't been clued in.

I no longer worry about my magazine's life as much as I worry about my own. :)

one other thing everyone should practice and that is shooting with your weak eye, nothing says you will always be able to use your strong eye all the time

I not do train with any stance; “stance” suggests a fixed position and that makes it easier for an adversary to score hits. Not getting shot is the single most important thing in a gunfight. I am constantly on the move, have both eyes open and shoot with left and right hands from one and two handed holds.

You are correct, words/phrases mean things and I should have rephrased that as more of a weaver-type "hold", and constantly moving for the reasons you stated.

Thanks for the "pull up". :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top