Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

What is your favorite mountain house meal?

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by mikeybuck, Dec 4, 2014.

1. mikeybuck

mikeybuck Clark county Active Member

What is your favorite mountain house meals?

Looking to grab a few and would like to hear what others think are the good and the bad.

2. TapRackNGo

TapRackNGo PNW Well-Known Member

Though I really don't care for pasta, spaghetti with meat sauce was really good in a 5 degree sleep deprived state last winter. I also like teriyaki with rice and beef stew.

3. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

beef stroganoff is there #1 selling meal
    They list popularity on their sitre

4. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Beef Chili Mac!
    Have you seen the large boxes at Costco? They contain several pouches of M House FDs. Sorry, I forget how many, I remember it was a good deal. I bought two of them.

5. pnwSooner

pnwSooner near but not in Portland Member

Noodles and chicken. I've been known to go dig one out to eat for dinner when at home. Salty, but they all are. *side note-a couple times of year they go on sale at bimart and you can pick up main entrees for only $5 each

6. John Gault

John Gault clackamas county Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I Second the Spaghetti for sure! Beef Mac is good to go also.

Riot likes this.
  7. Stinkerbelle

Stinkerbelle Tualatin, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Polynesian chicken with rice......

8. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

The chilimac is awesome as is the mexican rice and beans.

9. edison bulb

edison bulb Portland, OR Well-Known Member

I'm planning on getting some of these, but the sodium content is turning me off...Anything else out there that has a 15+ year shelf life with lower levels of sodium?

10. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Anything with a high amount of sugar will do the same. It too acts as a preservative of sorts so long as its dry.
    With as much H20 as there is on the planet let alone in Oregon and Washington dilution shouldnt be an issue..

Unless its health related.. And in a SHTF scenario if we're really going through hard times sodium is the least of your problems. Lol ;)

Barefoot African and Sgt Nambu like this.
  11. Barefoot African

Barefoot African Saint Helens Oregon Active Member

Polynesian "chicken & rice". Truth be told I like all of them pretty much. Spicy and salty, with some sugar, enough protein, mostly carbs, but not enough fats. Forget the salt if you are pushing hard manual labor, and hydrating with lots of fresh, zero sodium H2O. Fresh meat, canned butter, whole milk and fresh nuts etc. --> all good ways to add fat's to the diet, but obviously only if you are working hard. Hard implies 12-20 miles a day with a ruck and topography ar the equivalent.

12. 7SFCW4

7SFCW4 Out and About, Oregon Active Member

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  13. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

I'm thinking of re-selling MT House and MRE's, any suggestions?

14. gunfreak

gunfreak Boise Well-Known Member

My son and I always eat them while hunting and love a variety of them but by far the sweet and sour chicken is awesome.

Martini_Up likes this.
  15. M67

M67 NW Oregon Active Member

Beef stew, Sweet & sour pork with rice, Beef stroganoff with noodles, Chicken and rice, Granola with blueberries & milk, Eggs with bacon, Italian pepper steak, Chicken fried rice, Eggs with ham & peppers.... To name a few off the top of my head.

My kids and I have not had a mountain house meal that we did not like. The kids have not liked a few desserts, but I did, so more for me. :)

gunfreak likes this.
  16. edison bulb

edison bulb Portland, OR Well-Known Member

I'm sure it would be easy to sell them.

17. Martini_Up

Martini_Up NW USA Well-Known Member

I use MT when backpacking and find I like them all (seems I'm always starving while backpacking, haha) but seem to favor S&S chicken when making the choice which to eat first.

18. Barefoot African

Barefoot African Saint Helens Oregon Active Member

The key to traveling far, and fast, and without mess or fire, leaving no trace but bootprints - Mountain House.

Hot-water over alcohol ---> in the bag, long handled polished Ti spoon. Light and quick and clean and tasty.

HikerKat likes this.
  19. CrossHairs

CrossHairs Tigard Active Member

I like the Breakfast Skillet. As mentioned, tons of salt, but when snow camping and back country skiing or about to do the Seattle to Portland Bike ride in a day or something else equally stupid....600 calories in a single packet goes a long way.

Barefoot African likes this.
  20. jrprich

jrprich PNW Well-Known Member

I haven't eaten one in maybe 30+ years, but back when we used to go snow camping my fav was Beef Stroganoff :) But I suspect MH has many more flavors to choose from these days.