JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Favorite gun: Buddy. He is a pre-lock SW 686-4 .357 mag snubby with 2.5-inch barrel and Crimson Trace grips. Very sweet trigger, utterly reliable, accurate. Weighs about 36 oz. unloaded, and with that weight and the heavy muzzle from full underlug, is pleasant to shoot, even with hot loads. Buddy is my EDC as well as home defense gun. He was also flock protector back when I had ducks, and took out many a possum, racoon, and skunk, and even a couple of foxes. If I were in a boat with all my guns, about to suffer the sort of tragic boating accident that has been the bane of so many on this forum, and I could save only one gun, I would save Buddy.

Last Edited:
S&W 686, .357mag, 6" barrel, stainless.
- Shoots .357 magnum rounds, .38+P and .38special.
- Accurate. Nice long sight radius.
- Size/weight minimizes recoil far better than small revolvers shooting the same ammo.
- Excellent non-intimidating training piece.
- Cycles random spent brass for Teflon's flinch-proofing drills.
- Chicks dig it.

Last Edited:
Maybe if you were to ask me awhile ago I could give you one. Fortunately since I have a better sense what works for me better and I have purchased a few more better guns that's no longer the case.

I actually have another one on the way and from all reports this should be another one. From everything I've read many say the CZ Tactical Sport Orange hits way above it's weight. From its specs alone it pretty much meets those things that work best for me. Heavy, very little recoil, great trigger, and very accurate.

Other handguns which I like and mainly because for the same reasons.

Freedom Arms 97 in 22 LR
Wilson Combat Classic Supergrade
Wilson Combat CQB 40th Anniversary
Wilson Combat EDC X9L
Korth Mongoose
Korth 1969b
S&W 41 Perfomance Center
S&W 41 7 inch
Standard MFG SA

I'd have an easier time answering the question if it was, "Favorite handgun for ______".

I have a few handguns I like for different purposes. Probably my favorite is my Dan Wesson Classic Bobtail.
Got it about 10-11 years ago and it's seen it's share of use/abuse. I had it's twin in 10mm for a while, too.
cbob in leather.jpg

I'd have an easier time answering the question if it was, "Favorite handgun for ______".
Right. For me the EDC category is always a .357 with full size body and adjustible sights but short barrel. Buddy, my 686 snubby now. His predecessor was a snubby Ruger Security 6. I prefer the muzzle-heavy feel and far superior SA and DA trigger of the 686. The first time I picked up a 686, the Ruger's days were numbered.

Favorite gun for home defense used to be a 6-inch Security 6. But Buddy has taken over that category too. The reason is Buddy has the Crimson Trace laser grip. My vision without glasses is so poor that when I hold the gun up without glasses, I cant see the sights or even the barrel. But the laser works fine. At about 20 feet without glasses it appears as a huge sparkly pattern about 6 inches across, but thats even easier to see than the red dot. Of course I keep glasses right next to the gun. But it might be possible to lose them in a fight or have no time to put them on.

Favorite gun to shoot is usually a long barrel .44. Currently Belle. She's a pre-lock 8 3/8 inch SW 629-4. She has the standard barrel rather than the full underlug. I like a muzzle-heavy feel to a revolver, but with a barrel that long there is just the amount of muzzle heavy feel I like without the heavy underlug of the 629 classics. Belle's predecessor was Tanstaafl, a 6 inch Colt Anacona. At 51 oz., Belle is as large a revolver as I can handle easily both SA and DA with either hand. And that requires regular nearly daily practice indoors with laser cartridges to keep muscles in hands, arms, and trigger fingers built up. But that's part of the fun.

Who you calling purist? I had a career military dad. Learned, among other things, that rifles aren't ever to be called guns. ("This is my rifle, etc.") Being a girlchild, I had a rifle, but no gun. And I never called a rifle a gun till decades after leaving home. But I can say "gun" now. Gun, gun, gun. See? So I'm not a purist.

But a revolver is not a pistol. It just isn't.

Yet some gunfighters In the Wild West were referred to as Pistolero's. They all used wheel guns. Go figure.

:)

Let's not forget the great Samuel Colt
himself described his cylinder-firearm invention as a "revolving pistol".

I follow history, not the ATF's definition. :)

Let's not forget the great Samuel Colt
himself described his cylinder-firearm invention as a "revolving pistol".

I follow history, not the ATF's definition. :)
That's a lot to remember!!

This is a crowd favorite.

Sorry friends but you cant touch this. Their is nothing smoother to shoot than a good 1911. The ergonomics got it right over 100 years ago, the Browning short recoil action is what all others base on and the heart and soul.... the single action only trigger has never been beat.
View attachment 617213
That's a beauty for sure. It's this kind of guy I love to invite out to my clubs bowling pin shoots.... We like a little competition. That would be about the best proof that his pistol is what he says it is....

That's a beauty for sure. It's this kind of guy I love to invite out to my clubs bowling pin shoots.... We like a little competition. That would be about the best proof that his pistol is what he says it is....
actually some kind of competition shooting has been a bucket list thing for me the last couple years, I keep putting it off because I always have many other things going on. I consider myself a good shot but also don't get out as much as Id like to shoot to put my ability to the test. I'm sure the gun shoots better than I do.

actually some kind of competition shooting has been a bucket list thing for me the last couple years, I keep putting it off because I always have many other things going on. I consider myself a good shot but also don't get out as much as Id like to shoot to put my ability to the test. I'm sure the gun shoots better than I do.
I'm not a pistol shooter, but love to shoot head to head competitions, such as our bowling pin shoots. They are a blast. I'm sorry if it seemed like my post was calling you out. It just looks like your pistol shoots great. I always enjoy seeing people shoot at these events. It can go from damn that was fast, how did they do that, to damn that was quite comical. It's always fun though... A lot of laughs and good times. I have a lot of respect for the pistol shooters at my club, they know how to step up to the plate and still have a lot of fun. I like to get new members who like to shoot events too. Right now, we will generally have about 10 or so shooters show up for our bowling pin shoots. Here's a link if anyone here might be interested.... Thanks!!

I'm not a pistol shooter, but love to shoot head to head competitions, such as our bowling pin shoots. They are a blast. I'm sorry if it seemed like my post was calling you out. It just looks like your pistol shoots great. I always enjoy seeing people shoot at these events. It can go from damn that was fast, how did they do that, to damn that was quite comical. It's always fun though... A lot of laughs and good times. I have a lot of respect for the pistol shooters at my club, they know how to step up to the plate and still have a lot of fun. I like to get new members who like to shoot events too. Right now, we will generally have about 10 or so shooters show up for our bowling pin shoots. Here's a link if anyone here might be interested.... Thanks!!

I sensed there was an invitation in there, someday I will get into it. I just wanted to make certain that if I randomly showed up and shot terribly I alreadty had an excuse. :p

For fun to shoot you can't beat a target 22 pistol. Tricked out Ruger and S&W Victory model.
DSC00207.JPG
I have been shooting 1911's in competition for many years but I really like shooting my softer recoil
M&P 2.0 in 45 acp and 9 mm.
. DSC00267.JPG

Last Edited:
FULL SIZE AUTOS: 1911'S AND BROWNING HI POWERS. HK MK 23 OR USP TACTICALS
MEDIUM AUTOS: 1911 COMMANDERS! LOL! SIG 229 OR 228
SMALL AUTOS: SIG 365

LARGE FRAME REVOLVERS: S&W 27'S AND 28'S AS WELL AS 38/44 HD'S AND 38/44 OUTDOORSMAN.
MID FRAME REVOLVERS: S&W 18 COMBAT MASTER PIECE AND MODEL 66
SMALL FRAME REVOLVERS: S&W'S OF OF COURSE BUT REALLY LIKE THE FEEL OF MY KIMBER 357 SNUBBY.

HARD TO PIN IT DOWN AS THERE ARE SO MANY S&W REVOLVERS THAT I LIKE AS WELL AS 1911 VARIANTS AS THEY JUST FIT ME FOR INSTINCT STYLE OF SHOOTING. IF I HAD TO TAKE 1 AND ONLY ONE ID LEAN TOWARDS A 1911 VARIANT BUT FOR HI CAP ID HAVE TO GO WITH ....????? SEE......TOO MANY TO PIN IT DOWN! LOL!

Mine has to be my stamped Ithaca 1911A1. It was carried by my great uncle in WWII and is the only possession I truly care about. Turn the rest of them into paperclips for all I care.

OK, please don't ACTUALLY turn them in to paperclips. But the 1911......sometimes I just hold it and imagine the stories it could tell. I've caught myself whispering "if only you could talk" to it more than once.

Weird?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads