JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A_Canticle_for_Leibowitz_cover_1st_ed.jpg
A Canticle for Leibowitz is a post-apocalyptic science fiction novel by American writer Walter M. Miller, Jr., first published in 1960. Set in a Roman Catholic monastery in the desert of the southwestern United States after a devastating nuclear war, the story spans thousands of years as civilization rebuilds itself. The monks of the fictional Albertian Order of Leibowitz take up the mission of preserving the surviving remnants of man's scientific knowledge until the day the outside world is again ready for it.

Scholars and critics have noted the theme of cyclic history or recurrence in Miller's works, epitomized in A Canticle for Leibowitz. David Seed, in discussing the treatment of nuclear holocaust in science fiction in his book American Science Fiction and the Cold War: Literature and Film (1992), states, "it was left to Walter M. Miller's A Canticle for Leibowitz to show recurrence taking place in a narrative spanning centuries." David N. Samuelson, whose 1969 doctoral dissertation on Canticle is considered the "best overall discussion of the book", calls the "cyclical

Read it long ago and it's still on my mind.

Susan Beth Pfeffer's The Dead and The Gone,,,Life As We Knew It
Pfeffer's novel Life As We Knew It was created after watching the film Meteor (1979), noting that "it got [her] thinking about how the people who have the most to lose if the world comes to an end are kids," and wanted to see how her characters would cope with a situation that was out of their control. The Dead and the Gone occurs at the same time as the first novel, but in New York City. She playfully mentioned that "I figure with 300 million people alive in the United States, even if I write about 10 people a book, I can still get another 2,999,998 novels out of that meteor, and that should keep me busy and entertained well past the foreseeable future." [1]

The Dead and the Gone uses a third-person omniscient narrative, while the previous book, Life As We Knew It, used a first-person narrative in a journal format. Ask about the change in narrative, Pfeffer replied quite simply that in her planning processes, she "just could not envision a teenage boy keeping a diary. It's as simple as that," accounting for the change.[2]

The first is suburban the second is in NYC
There is a movie in production

The "Emberverse" trilogy by S.M. Stirling. ("Dies the Fire", "The Protector's War", and "A Meeting at Corvallis".) Premise: Electricity and "fast combustion" stop working, the aftermath. (aka: Nothing electric, not even simple battery-powering-a-light, no explosives, not even steam power works.) The world quickly descends into chaos and massive deaths. The books take place in the Willamette Valley, which makes it even better. It covers the factions that take over the Willamette Valley. First book takes place from the time of the "apocalypse" to about one year later - the second and third take place 10 years later. Comes across as very believable outcome of what would happen.

The writer has a few more books in the same world, one set that takes place in a different location, one that takes place a couple decades after the first trilogy. I haven't read the other books, just the three mentioned.

Also, "World War Z".

Dies The Fire, I think I made it 17 pages. Couldn't get past all the witchcraft nonsense. :s0077:

World War Z however, is one of the best books I've read in years. Brooks has a real talent to tell a tale.

I read that story as well; There is actually a large private nuke shelter in the center of an orange grove in Flordia that was built during the cold war, it is still completely equiped with beds, food, clothes and arms for several familys from that period, however leaking water has destroyed almost everything inside.

Mostly the classics, like:
- I am Legend / Omega Man, and,
- Soilent Green
- Planet of the Apes (the original series)
- Postman

Runner ups: Waterworld, Madmax, for giggles

But, on a more serious note:
-Book of Eli, and
-Left Behind series, because it is the better one of the at least loosely based on Apocalypse/Revelations.

Red Dawn.

I was patient. I gave you people the benefit of the doubt.

I thought there were some men that might chime in on this thread, but I see that for whatever reason, the only ones that showed up decided to take some online time to humiliate themselves.

Mad Max. All of them.

We're done. Lock it up.

Try:

The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi

Pump Six and Other Stories by Paolo Bacigalupi

I absolutely could not stop reading. Both are available at the Multnomah County Library.

I liked The Postman, takes place in our local area and was a realy good read, not to heavy and depressing. Patriots was a good book too, for the more gritty mood in your reading life. I think the economic route to mealtdown is in our present time the most realistic. Devaluate the dollar and the house of cards falls fast! Of course for any child of the 80's you must include Red Dawn!. I always loved the conversation where the evil comander tells his minon to go and get the form 4473 and round em' up! Its always the paper trail that gets ya........

Dies The Fire, I think I made it 17 pages. Couldn't get past all the witchcraft nonsense. :s0077:

World War Z however, is one of the best books I've read in years. Brooks has a real talent to tell a tale.

I think you made if further into "Dies the Fire" than I did. Had a problem with the witchcraft thing also. It's the only book I've that I've ever requested a refund on from Amazon.:s0155:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top