JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm still working on mine.
I've tried; Nosler #16337 210 grain with 67.5 gr. W231

and

#57625 AccuBond 180 gr. with 79gr. IMR7828. both work well.

This summer i'll work on the larger gr. bullets.

3/8" groups? is that a 1 shot group? thats damn tight for a big bore hunting rifle! or is it a dedicated paper puncher?
Factory hunting rifle.I shot a 3 rd group sunday using 68 grs of rx 19 and Sierra 215 gk bullets that was smaller than 3/8".Dont think for a minut that I shoot like that all the time,I dont.I get lucky sometimes.I do believe though that the rifle is very capable of this kind of accuracy.

I use a 250gr SGK over 75gr of H4831 for about 2800 fps. When I worked up that load, the Sierras were about the only 'premium' hunting bullet out there. My particular rifle shoots that load well, so I never saw the need to change it. I think if you're going to shoot a 338, a 250gr is the way to go. If you start getting into the 180-200gr range, the BC is terrible, at which point you might consider a 300 Win or Weatherby.

Cant find the partition target,but heres the sierra gk target I shot sunday.low left was first shot readjusting scope from partition load.second shot high left third ,fourth and fifth shot measuring about 5/16".

I have two reloading manuals in front of me right now, speer #11 says max charge of 71.0 grns of 4831 behind a 250 grn bullet. speer #14 says 69.0 grains behind a 250 grn bullet. they also say that the b.c. is very similar and in some cases favor the 200 grn bullet
I also looked in the sierra book, they list a max load of 74.8 grns of 4831

my ruger 77tang safety will shoot 5 shot groups that you can cover with a silver dollar with the 200 grn hornady interlock most of the time. elk cant tell the difference between 1/2" and 1 1/4" groups inside of 400 yards. sight mine in about 1 1/2" high at a hundred

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top