JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm still working on mine.
I've tried; Nosler #16337 210 grain with 67.5 gr. W231

and

#57625 AccuBond 180 gr. with 79gr. IMR7828. both work well.

This summer i'll work on the larger gr. bullets.

3/8" groups? is that a 1 shot group? thats damn tight for a big bore hunting rifle! or is it a dedicated paper puncher?
Factory hunting rifle.I shot a 3 rd group sunday using 68 grs of rx 19 and Sierra 215 gk bullets that was smaller than 3/8".Dont think for a minut that I shoot like that all the time,I dont.I get lucky sometimes.I do believe though that the rifle is very capable of this kind of accuracy.

I use a 250gr SGK over 75gr of H4831 for about 2800 fps. When I worked up that load, the Sierras were about the only 'premium' hunting bullet out there. My particular rifle shoots that load well, so I never saw the need to change it. I think if you're going to shoot a 338, a 250gr is the way to go. If you start getting into the 180-200gr range, the BC is terrible, at which point you might consider a 300 Win or Weatherby.

Cant find the partition target,but heres the sierra gk target I shot sunday.low left was first shot readjusting scope from partition load.second shot high left third ,fourth and fifth shot measuring about 5/16".

I have two reloading manuals in front of me right now, speer #11 says max charge of 71.0 grns of 4831 behind a 250 grn bullet. speer #14 says 69.0 grains behind a 250 grn bullet. they also say that the b.c. is very similar and in some cases favor the 200 grn bullet
I also looked in the sierra book, they list a max load of 74.8 grns of 4831

my ruger 77tang safety will shoot 5 shot groups that you can cover with a silver dollar with the 200 grn hornady interlock most of the time. elk cant tell the difference between 1/2" and 1 1/4" groups inside of 400 yards. sight mine in about 1 1/2" high at a hundred

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top