JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been working up a load of Hodgdon's CFE 223 for my 14.5" barrel AR15. I'm nearing the published max load, but haven't been able to find any kind of accuracy from it. What is your experience with it? Also, does anyone else find that CFE 223 kinda smells.

OP,
The accuracy issue very well could be related to the barrel length, port pressure. I haven't fooled with it in the 223, just 308 and 243. Accuracy was easy for those calibers.
The Tin/Bismuth does give it a unique smell.

Gehrheart.
"cleaner" is relative. The 2 cleaning compounds have been in Win 748 & Win 760/H414 for 2 decades or better(according to the MSDS). That is considered a "trade secret" so who knows about the quantities. That powder is also AT LEAST a decade old, called SMP-842. Was developed specifically for the all copper M855+ round. The fouling is very heavy black soot, But also very easy to remove. In my 243 I have noticed less copper coloring on the barrel, but never had an issue prior to this powder.

Good to know Darkker, thanks.
I haven't had any fouling issues and been happy with what I have been using...
but something new and shinny to play with. :) Might give it a shot after my current kegs get low. I have been mostly loading the ARs with Montana Golds 55gr and fouling has been almost nothing.

As a follow-up. A board member over on the WSSM Zone used his borescope on a gun that was notorious for copper fouling. He started with a "heavily" coppered barrel. He shot something like 20 rounds(don't recall exactly) and the borescope shows an almost squeeky barrel.

I've just started working with it. I tested it using mag and standard primers and mag primers did seem more consistent with it. I didn't have any data for the bullets I was using (64gr rebated boat tails), so I used the data for 69 SMK. So the velocities were a little low and I will begin working up as I find the time.

24.0 - 25.8 gr, CCI mag primers, Mixed brass, 16" AR, 10 rounds with .2gr increment.

Min FPS 2413 24.2gr
Max FPS 2628 25.8gr

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

CFE 223 is a slower burning powder. It would probably do well with heavier bullets and longer barrels. I have had excellent results out of a 14.7" barrel using TAC.

Probably, but that was was what was available locally in an 8 lbs jug. And it will work in all of my other rifles as well.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads