JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Most of the time now it is this:

GB31000752.jpg

I bought 5 of these for under $16 each. The liner/handles are plastic & rubber, but are surprisingly tough for what they are. I tried to break the locking mechanism by batoning it and then wiggling it loose by bending it back and forth and only succeeded in making it a bit loose. I use have this on my belt most of the time when I am working on my property.

When I go into town and dress in casual clothes instead of manual work clothes, I have a Kershaw Barstow clipped inside my pocket.

I often carry cheap china knives while working (since I lose them often) but the main knife I carry while not working (that I ensure I dont lose) is one I got from a member here, the Leatherman Free K2
Been a great knife and multitool

Hi ZZZ, just for info, there is already a 12 page thread for this subject. :s0155:

And just for craps and giggles, this Ontario Rat Mod 1, D2 has been with me everyday since I discovered them.

thumbnail_IMG_0069.jpg

I carry and abuse the Kershaw Grinder Pocket knife (1319) I'm impressed at how well it's held up to the abuse I've given it. $14 shipped to my doorstep at the time.
[h3][/h3]

I often carry cheap china knives while working (since I lose them often) but the main knife I carry while not working (that I ensure I dont lose) is one I got from a member here, the Leatherman Free K2
Been a great knife and multitool
I got one of the BG folders to test it before I bought more. For $16 I thought I could not go wrong, and if it broke then I was out only $16. In one of the Amazon reviews a reviewer said it as "cheap Chinese steel" and predicted it would break easily (I think the word "shatter" was used). Like I said, I tried to break it and didn't. I didn't try real hard - I consider batoning it into wood and then bending it back and forth to get it out to be more abuse than I will ever subject it to. I sometimes use the spine of the blade to pry on things - I've never so much as got a chip out of it. If I do break it, I have plenty of spares, but I will probably use those for bartering.

I got one of the BG folders to test it before I bought more. For $16 I thought I could not go wrong, and if it broke then I was out only $16. In one of the Amazon reviews a reviewer said it as "cheap Chinese steel" and predicted it would break easily (I think the word "shatter" was used). Like I said, I tried to break it and didn't. I didn't try real hard - I consider batoning it into wood and then bending it back and forth to get it out to be more abuse than I will ever subject it to. I sometimes use the spine of the blade to pry on things - I've never so much as got a chip out of it. If I do break it, I have plenty of spares, but I will probably use those for bartering.
Those seem pretty stout as well. I find the less a knife costs the more I actually use it for day to day cutting.

Those seem pretty stout as well. I find the less a knife costs the more I actually use it for day to day cutting.
Most daily use is just simple stuff like opening a package or cutting line or something that just about any knife will handle, but when I am at home on the property (99% of the time now that I am retired) I want something that is easier to use. The handle on the BG folder fills that desire. The Kershaw Barstow is smaller and not as useful, but fits well in my pocket when I go into town in my "town clothes" where I don't want to wear my scroungy dirty property work clothes with stains/etc (even after I wash them they look dirty).

It always amazes me how a lot of gun guys look at knife purchases. You will spend $500-1000 on a gun, but not a knife, when in reality, you will get much more use out of a knife than a gun. You don't buy a Hi-Point or Jennings, because it is not very good quality, when you probably will only shoot it at targets, but you will buy a cheap knife that has a good chance of cutting your finger off when it fails. You guys justify buying cheap knives because you loose them, how do you loose your knife so often? I carry multi hundred dollar knives everyday and don't loose it. Do you loose your wallet? your gun?

I've just never understood it...

I rotate between a Spyderco Police, Strider SMF or SnG, CRK 2, Hinderer XM-18 or a fixed blade Randall or ESEE.

It always amazes me how a lot of gun guys look at knife purchases. You will spend $500-1000 on a gun, but not a knife, when in reality, you will get much more use out of a knife than a gun. You don't buy a Hi-Point or Jennings, because it is not very good quality, when you probably will only shoot it at targets, but you will buy a cheap knife that has a good chance of cutting your finger off when it fails. You guys justify buying cheap knives because you loose them, how do you loose your knife so often? I carry multi hundred dollar knives everyday and don't loose it. Do you loose your wallet? your gun?

I've just never understood it...

I rotate between a Spyderco Police, Strider SMF or SnG, CRK 2, Hinderer XM-18 or a fixed blade Randall or ESEE.
Probably has to do with the same concept of we aren't out getting into gun fights on a daily basis to justify spending $300+ on a combat knife rated for knife fighting when the average person is just getting one for simple utility like opening boxes or leathermans for a plethora of reasons. I'd feel less guilt losing a $30 knife vs a $300 one on the fact that I am more likely to open a box, cut open a bag or use a philips/flat head more than I am going to have to defensively knife fight my way out of a mugging which likely i'm already at a disadvantage from what people say in knife fights indicating its already to late.

If you are more likely to be in knife fights go ahead otherwise I cannot justify it personally. I've watched privates spend ludicrous amounts of money on a "combat knife" to only end up losing it or have someone steal it while deployed. I am just used to having a simple knife on hand for cutting small things like wires/string etc since i've never personally been in a knife fight, which I hear slashing/cutting is more important than stabbing without a guard which would cut me in the process (at least thats what these murder shows say happens often).

Different options for everyone else, you do you.

I switch pretty frequently. Grimsmo Norseman, Hinderer XM-18, Sig Legion Emerson, and a few Spydercos are in the normal rotation. Today I'm carrying an M390 Spyderco Smock.

Kershaw Launch 3. Great everyday carry and I really like the autos. It has proven to be quite durable. I hooked the pocket clip climbing out of a crane on the floor hatch and it came out of my pocket falling 120 feet to the ground. It opened on impact and only has a couple of small gouges on the end. I expected to pick up pieces. FC45879F-5C3F-41D2-AA53-BE7ABF032B5E.jpeg
529F5130-F131-4C7E-96CE-8C7D1A73ACFA.jpeg
C5E802A1-2A16-4876-BD87-5C1936678EAA.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews