Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

What is wrong with my food storage spaghetti?

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by Jon Quick, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Jon Quick

Jon Quick New Member

I have resealed spaghetti three different times and I can not get a good tight package like I get with rice or beans. I originally just thought that I didn't package them right but after my third attempt I am confused. It is like there is a leak in my bag or the oxygen absorber isn't doing it's job. What gives?

2. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

You're not supposed boil it first. ;)

Are you talking about vacuum packing?

3. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I use my vacuum packing machines rubber hose attachment to suck as much of the air out of the mylar package as possible before I complete the seal.
    That way, the oxygen absorber gets a head start.
    Irregular shaped pasta has a lot of air space around each piece, so unless you add extra absorbers you really need to suck as much air out as you can.

4. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

I think the spaghetti ends are putting little holes in the bag.
    I don't know how to fix that, maybe a paper napkin over the ends?

Joe13 likes this.
  5. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Leave the pasta in the original bag, poke a few holes in the side of the packages to let the air out, then place in the mylar.
    I had a similar problem with my salmon fillets. The small sharp bones would poke holes in the vacuum bags, so I wrap the fish in some saran wrap first, then vacuum pack.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
    Joe13 and brokenarrow like this.
  6. Jon Quick

Jon Quick New Member

Yeah I think that the spaghetti poking holes makes the most sense. The odds that I got a bad seal on all 3 bags all 3 times just doesn't make sense.

Thinking maybe pasta was the problem, I tried to seal 2 pounds of large elbow mac last night and it sealed great. I think that I will just phase my spaghetti out with different pastas.

Joe13 likes this.