JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Crossman 160. This 'part' (spring) came out from somewhere during dis-assembly. Sure not finding it on the parts list or ....?
The trigger assembly wasn't removed..

2ndly, everything is back together but am unable to get the end cap (part 150) screwed on to puncture the cylinders. It threads on just great but I can't push it down far enough to engage the threads when the CO2 cylinders are inside the tube. Am I doing something wrong? Here's the CO2 cylinders the owner gave me so I hope they're the right ones..

All the parts are assembled like the image.. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. I can't believe it would be so hard to screw the puncture cap on.
Any help would be HUGELY appreciated. :)

Dan

20201211_143836.jpg 20201211_143741.jpg Image1.jpg

insert the cartridge's butt to butt (first tip down second tip up. One can be a used cartridge, you'll get the same velocity's with one new cartridge just half the shots.

Service manual
owners manual
Cartridges inserted per specs & your input. All parts fit and align per the manual.
I'm just not able to engage the cap to the tube via the threads.
I stripped this rifle into the most parts I could because of untold years of neglect, dirt, grime and rust. Everything has been cleaned, lubed and made rust free.

I took pictures of everything during disassembly so I could put it back together correctly.
I downloaded the manuals before I took it apart to see what I needed to do.
I've tried pulling the bolt back and any other trick I could come up with to get the cap to engage.
I'm 1/64th, 1/32nd, 1/16th or less to get thread engagement to get the cap on and it's quite frustrating. With no CO2 cylinders in the tube, the end cap screws on quite easily.

I've lubed everything to assure there's no binding anywhere, especially the new replacement seals. (Royal Purple spray lube)
I'm at a loss here & could seriously use some more help/advice. I have NO DESIRE to harm a childhood present from 40 or however many years ago for the owner.
The rifles cocks & fires perfectly without the CO2..(no pellets)

Dan

Are you using the correct CO2 cartridge? There are long and short versions.
Sorry if I'm way off base here.

edit: I believe these are the "long" ones. Look for some of the shorter CO2 cartridges.

Last Edited:
I edited my post. There are shorter cartridges that will likely solve the issue you're talking about. My Plainsman pistol uses the short ones and they always were harder to find.

I suspect the larger cartridges are correct. May want to give MAC1 a call. Great guy, may be able to solve this very quickly over phone. Never had a bad dealing with him, he KNOWS co2 guns.

The 160 uses 12 gram CO2 carts, so you have the right ones, 8 gram will NOT work. It's been awhile since I worked on a 160 (or a QB, the Chinese copied the 160). If you replaced the oring on the end cap, it can be VERY tight going into the tube, I always used silicone grease on all the orings. Not sure, but it looks like your wayward spring could be the one that goes inside the firing valve, over the piercing needle. If you didn't reassemble the valve correctly, that could be the cause of your problem. And IIRC, it's also possible to install the valve wrong, did you verify that the transfer port lined up with the barrel? Now you've got me wishing I had a QB on hand, I've owned and modded a bunch over the years, I still have some parts and pieces around, but I don't think I have a complete valve anymore. Might have to do something about that, they're fun little guns. Good luck.

Dave

After I posted I spent a little time looking on the web. Not much info, but what I did see indicated that the 12 gram cartridges are correct.
Silicone grease on the o-ring is a fantastic idea. I bought a tube of Sil-glyde at the local auto parts store I use on lots of rubber type things. Silicone spray would be good, too.

Well for what/how ever, the stupid thing screwed on. But my assembly was wrong somehow and leaked all the air out. :mad:
Took everything apart and started over. Now I can't pull the bolt all the way back! :mad::mad:
I'm going to buy some booze, get snockerd, any then see how it goes...:):):)
It can't be any more frustrating.. Sure appreciate all the help so far..you're all super.
This stinker is killing me!

Dan

Take you time and come back to it, don't let it frustrate you.

There was the time (one of many) that my wife laughed at me having detail striped and cleaned my HK-P7, when upon finishing its reassembly I still had a spring on the table and no idea where it went. Now this was before Al Gore invented the internet and I didn't have a printed schematic so... so lacking a quick reference or a video to go by I just dumped it in a Tupperware and set it on the shelf.
Next day I took it all apart and reassembled it without a hitch. When she saw me do this her question was why couldn't I do that the day before, just told her the gun wanted a day off.

It will work out in it's own time and teach you a bunch for the next projects. :) The more like this you do the easier they get. :s0062:

If you decide it's too frustrating, send it to me and I'll get it sorted and back to you, no charge other than shipping. I like working on airguns, did them exclusively for about 10 years, which resulted in my airgun hobby morphing into a machining hobby :cool:. That rifle design was a big part of that 10 years. There are a variety of things that can cause the issues you're having, some of them are simply a matter of holding your mouth just right during assembly, but I'd need the gun in my hands to remember them all. Good luck.

Dave

Ok all..:) I calmed down & took another look at what type of idiot I was. Hip hip hooray as it's together and operating correctly..sorta. I cocks/fires as it should, and again..sorta. Nothing fired down the barrel & no cartridges used yet..this time. Just assuring the bolt & trigger are in time and have full retract on the bolt.

For 'some' reason, the safety was interfering in a full bolt retraction so dis-assembly again. Removed the safety & everything works right/correct/as it should..? Say WHAT? Lordy Lordy..

Respective of that way-ward spring I asked about, I found 1 (one) place it could go. In a little teeny-tiny hole in part 23A that's NOT on the diagram. 23A is but not the hole or spring..grr.
Sooo..posting pics to see what anyone has ANY ideas on..:) cause I'm sure as he** lost at this point in time! o_O

You need to blow the images up so you can see the hole the spring fits into. Perfectly by the way, and the 2nd image has tick marks in it where the spring 'would' contact the safety (img 5458) IF (big IF) there was a ball at the end of the spring to contact (what looks like) the safety indents on img 5547. That being said, I can not imagine something like that dainty being used/implemented.

Meaning no disrespect to anyone here trying to help..but when things like this kick my behind, it pains me viciously to think I'm not intelligent enough to figure out what's wrong. But then I've also been married more then once so...and let's NOT go into my youthful activities from years bygone... :D

If anyone has any thoughts/ideas from the 2 new images..I'm sure game to listen up. It's darn near exciting but sometimes...o_O I'm just plain stupid and can't see the forest for the trees.

I can't begin to thank everyone enough here that's trying to help. All I can say is THANK YOU! If this gets to the point of me committing the hairy-carrie thing, I'll either be calling Mac1 or sending it to daved20319
By the way, who's Mac1?

Dan

20201213_115458.jpg 20201213_115547.jpg

Tim (MAC1) has been serving the pellet gun community for, well forever. Never had any complaints dealing with him. Produces upgrades and custom parts for a number of pellet guns, good guy.
Link MAC1

Hey, Dan, can you take a pic of the whole rifle from either side? The 160 had 3 variants or generations IIRC, yours is looking like one of the earlier generations, from what I can see in those pics. That changes things A LOT, the earlier guns had some fairly significant design differences from the later generations. I may have some data on the earlier guns in my shop somewhere, I'll see if I can dig it out this evening. Later.

Dave

Hey, Dan, can you take a pic of the whole rifle from either side? The 160 had 3 variants or generations IIRC, yours is looking like one of the earlier generations, from what I can see in those pics. That changes things A LOT, the earlier guns had some fairly significant design differences from the later generations. I may have some data on the earlier guns in my shop somewhere, I'll see if I can dig it out this evening. Later.

Dave
I'll get it tomorrow. I sure appreciate what everyone in this forum is doing in helping. The owner of the rifle will be shickled titless when it's back in his hands. It was a gift to him when he was really young. He's over 70 now.

Dan

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads