JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I acquired a lot of very high quality reloads like: 20 boxes 30.06, 10 boxes 308, 8 boxes 250/3000, 38 special, etc. from a deceased master reloader. I bought these, have tested and shot these and have come to completely trust these loads. So much so, I'm thinking about selling all my military ammo. My question: since I did not build this stuff, can I sell it without any danger of getting sued or is "shooting them up" my only safe thing to do? I'd love to share this good stuff. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Most reloads are sold as "components only" and is up to the purchaser to do as they feel fit. If I sold a lot of this, I'd go as far as using a "bill of sale" with a disclaimer attached.

"High quality" is all relative. So you are saying they are factory reloaded by a commercial business with liability insurance? If not then from the option of most is that if they didn't load them they will not shoot them.

As K7grc said sell them as "components only" and the buyer can choose to either shoot them or pull them down.

"High quality" is all relative. So you are saying they are factory reloaded by a commercial business with liability insurance? If not then from the option of most is that if they didn't load them they will not shoot them.

As K7grc said sell them as "components only" and the buyer can choose to either shoot them or pull them down.

No, I'm just saying after shooting a couple of boxes of each, they were more accurate and consistent than military and most factory ammo. Thanks to everyone for their input. Good advice about selling it "as components".

People are hesitant to shoot the reloads of others because there is an increased risk of a problem and there is no insurance to cover that bet. Honestly if you like the stuff and trust it, just shoot through it at your own pace. There's little upside to selling it, especially if you have to sell it as components. Even with ammo prices being high right now, all it takes is one bad round where someone loses a gun and/or gets injured and you've got a problem.

My question: since I did not build this stuff, can I sell it without any danger of getting sued or is "shooting them up" my only safe thing to do?

Regarding liability, you can be sued anything. The issues are how much it will cost to defend and whether someone can successfully win. The cost of defense can be high even if you prevail. The profit you are looking at making by selling reloaded ammo is low. While the risk of a defective round is low if the reloader knew what he was doing, it's still there. The risk you are taking by selling reloaded ammo is not justified by whatever profit you think you can eke out of it. One defective round can destroy a firearm and cause an injury that opens you up to thousands of dollars of liability. In short, it's not worth it.

If you trust them, then sell the factory ammo you have in those calibers and assume the risks of the reloads yourself. You are the only one who knows their history and seem to be happy with them. I know most will not trust any but the own or professionally assembled ammo from a licensed reloader or factory ammo. I have received free reloads before and was a bit apprehensive about shooting them as they were given to be from the family of a deceased reloader. It was 1300 rounds of .38 Special with a 158 gr LSWC. I shot all of it off without a single issue......but in doing so I assumed any risk if anything were to go bad. Not all reloads are bad, but there are some out there.

I put nearly 2000 rounds of reloaded 9mm through my old Taurus and never had one problem. It was all reloads from a friend of a friend, I never even met the guy, but he was solid and vouched for. Add in what my friends bought, and we used around 10k rounds total from the guy. Never a problem.

The trouble is that if you don't know the reloader, see his setup, watch him do it, you just don't know if he's the guy who sends the kids off with the wife for the day, puts on some calm music, takes the phone off the hook and pays attention to what he's doing; or is he the guy who gets high, downs a 12 pack, cranks some death metal and starts cranking away with his hound dogs underfoot and his drinkin' buddies doing beer bongs in his kitchen.

Even the most diligent reloader can slip up once in a while! If you are comfortable with the rounds shoot them yourself.

That's what I'll do. How do you "pull" a bullet? The only way I can remember is loading the shell into that little hammer thing and banging away until the bullet falls out. Is that still the way?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top