JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So the TS has a jewelry shop now.Right?
Say he opens another jewelry shop at another location,or just at the first one,can he "private sale" guns there or would he definitely need a FFL in a retail store?

Or why not open both in the same location?

I say a pawn shop is the way to go.:s0155::s0155:

So the TS has a jewelry shop now.Right?
Say he opens another jewelry shop at another location,or just at the first one,can he "private sale" guns there or would he definitely need a FFL in a retail store?

Or why not open both in the same location?

I say a pawn shop is the way to go.:s0155::s0155:

If he wants to sell a couple of his personal guns because he no longer wants them, no problem. Anyone who is making money selling guns is going to need a license. I believe he was asking about getting in the business of selling guns.

If he wants to sell a couple of his personal guns because he no longer wants them, no problem. Anyone who is making money selling guns is going to need a license. I believe he was asking about getting in the business of selling guns.

Yeah I understood he was trying to get into the gun business.And most on this thread said there isn't much profit margin on guns...
Hence the idea of selling guns along with jewelry,like he already does.Just a though for him,that's all.

And thanks for the license info.I kinda figured any volume at a retail location would need a FFL ,but wasn't sure.

I just talked to the guy up here that is selling a gun store about this.He said 10% and you just can't make it without all the goodies that your neighborhood needs.

I would go with those numbers on a net basis, but, if the gross profit were 5% ($35 on $700) I can't see how you could stay in business.

A 5% business on the bottom line is better than a lot of others.

Guns are only a small part of most firearm retail shops. They really want you to buy the ammo, sling, optics, and the rest of the little goodies. There are instances where you may only make $30 on a firearm. The larger the store, the larger the buying power and therefor usually profits. Most businesses will try to remain competetive in the way of firearms, so that you will buy it all in one place.

The internet makes it a hard living. People will walk out of a retail shop if they can save $30 on a $900 optic. Its amazing but that's the difference really good customer service can make. A good customer base can sometimes make up for slightly higher margins. Offering gunsmithing or armory work is a big plus, you would be suprised by the number of people who cannot fully dissassemble their firearms. You would need to invest the time to learn yourself how to do small fix ups on guns as it would be impossible to invest in a full time smith to start. Outsourcing the larger jobs is the best way to begin.

I think one of the biggest mistakes people make is renting a building. If you can, or as soon as you can, invest in buying a building. Even if you just make a living and don't get rich, you at least have what you invested in the building. When constructing a business model/plan, it is amazing to see what happens after 20-30 years if you rent vs buy in most situations.

Retail gun sales and restaurants - two highly regulated, low margin businesses that are tough to make a buck in. Like a previous poster said, a good way to take a large fortune and turn it into a small one.

The only slight upside with guns is the govt restrictions on Internet sales make it a bit easier for local retailers to survive (as opposed to say bookstores which are a vanishing breed), but I bet even with restrictions that online sales have had a huge impact on gun retailers in the last decade.

Try software. It's made from electrons (free), almost totally unregulated and a 70% profit margin is considered average. I was chatting to a one man iPhone developer this week who sold $5k worth of iPhone software just on Christmas day and expects to net $30k this month. You can indulge in a lot of guns and restaurant dinners on that income! :s0114:

Retail gun sales and restaurants - two highly regulated, low margin businesses that are tough to make a buck in. Like a previous poster said, a good way to take a large fortune and turn it into a small one.

The only slight upside with guns is the govt restrictions on Internet sales make it a bit easier for local retailers to survive (as opposed to say bookstores which are a vanishing breed), but I bet even with restrictions that online sales have had a huge impact on gun retailers in the last decade.

Try software. It's made from electrons (free), almost totally unregulated and a 70% profit margin is considered average. I was chatting to a one man iPhone developer this week who sold $5k worth of iPhone software just on Christmas day and expects to net $30k this month. You can indulge in a lot of guns and restaurant dinners on that income! :s0114:

Wow! Sounds like I better plan on going 'Back to School'!!

People talk a lot about the "local service", and then also bash many of the local shops. I'm one of those people who will pay for good service - that means different things to different people, of course.

High prices and lousy service drive me to on-line purchases of firearms. Since WA tax is a wash either way, it comes down to shipping and a $40 transfer fee. I expect storefront dealers will continue to raise the transfer fee to combat the on-line retailer. They might consider the service aspect of their business.

Example: I wanted a Blaser R8. It is a $4k package. I walked into three shops, told them what I wanted. All said they could "probably get it". No one looked up the price or availability. One tried to tell me I'd be happier with a Savage (that's what they had). When I pushed to get a price, they said they'd call me. Guess how many did?

I ordered from a shop in TX and it was delivered to a dealer 4 days later. How likely am I to go back to those shops for my next custom order?

So what's good service to me? Pay attention to me, answer my questions, follow up if you say you will, and, recognize my repetitive and merciless purchasing habit with a "thank you". Maybe even call me when something comes in you know I like. Oh, yeah, if I'm looking at something I may very well buy it - I'd rather you not act like you have something better to do!

Am I asking too much?

No. Not at all. Your asking to be treated with respect. To be treated in a professional manor.
Thats why I thought about opening a buisness.
Good customer service is lacking in over 70% of the gun buisness's I walk into.
The very problem you write about happens in all buisness's.

When I was in the motorcycle buisness, if someone came through my door they where there for a reason.
If I did'nt have what they wanted, I'd write it down.
I'd review 'the list'.
If I saw more than one missed sale, I'd investigate further.
I'd also 'follow-up' with a phone call after the sale. Especially if it was something that required installation. (sometimes people would get their purchase home and realize the task of installing their purchase was more work than they wanted (after looking) to attempt).
Always after maintance a phone call to my customer was made.
Its just good buisness to treat people like I care.
Because as a buisness owner I should care.
My customers are the people paying my bills. Keeping the lights on.
They wrote 'the checks', not me.

Sounds like you experienced some really poor customer service. And I'm sure those shops treat the majority of their customers that way. Unfortunately the people at a lot of gun shops have this attitude that they are the greatest thing to happen to planet earth. Not all, but enough of them that everyone has experienced this sort of thing.

I remember walking into a gun store once (before I had an FFL) and asking if they had a particular gun. The shop employee (or owner) said " how hard do you want me to laugh at you, there is no way you are finding one of those". I drove down the street to another store and they had one in stock.

Sometimes, you have to sell something to someone at virtually no profit, knowing that they will come back in the future. For example, I had a guy make me an offer on a gun where I made just about zero dollars. I didn't have anything to lose so I sold him the gun. That was 2 months ago and he has bought several more where I made good profit.

If you can not get it for the customers asking price, just be honest and tell them that you cant do it and be nice about it. That way they will keep coming back.

Ryan

People talk a lot about the "local service", and then also bash many of the local shops. I'm one of those people who will pay for good service - that means different things to different people, of course.

High prices and lousy service drive me to on-line purchases of firearms. Since WA tax is a wash either way, it comes down to shipping and a $40 transfer fee. I expect storefront dealers will continue to raise the transfer fee to combat the on-line retailer. They might consider the service aspect of their business.

Example: I wanted a Blaser R8. It is a $4k package. I walked into three shops, told them what I wanted. All said they could "probably get it". No one looked up the price or availability. One tried to tell me I'd be happier with a Savage (that's what they had). When I pushed to get a price, they said they'd call me. Guess how many did?

I ordered from a shop in TX and it was delivered to a dealer 4 days later. How likely am I to go back to those shops for my next custom order?

So what's good service to me? Pay attention to me, answer my questions, follow up if you say you will, and, recognize my repetitive and merciless purchasing habit with a "thank you". Maybe even call me when something comes in you know I like. Oh, yeah, if I'm looking at something I may very well buy it - I'd rather you not act like you have something better to do!

Am I asking too much?

I'm out of the 'Fine Jewelry Business'.
I'd need a FFL. I'd want to do this totally separate from any other business.

There are sooo many things to sell at a gun shop.
All the camping gear,hunting,target,tacticool stuff that outdoor gun buyers maybe don't 'need' but happen to see while looking at guns.
Maybe don't go over board on camping,but survivalist directed stuff ?

Guy don't want to admit it,but if it's stuff they like,they don't mind shopping.And if you have goodies to touch and feel and try out,they're gunna buy.
Just like you do when you pick up the gun you been meaning to look at.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Ive talked with a few guys.. While the profit margins on guns are not that large.. (Same goes with all sorts of different retailish things)

Look at all the other things you DO have markup and profit on.. Holsters, accessories, supplies, toys, etc, etc..

A gun store is not only just about selling guns, yanno what I mean?

I have thought about it myself. My wife and I are relatively young and not sure what we are doing in life yet.. You've tossed around the idea of trying to open up a gun store.. Probably not in the NW.. But somewhere perhaps where there isn't another gun supply around for a while..

/shrug

Ohh, another thing that is an insta-sale whenever I see it in a caliber I shoot--50rd LE boxes of defensive hollowpoints. They are like $35 for 50 when the regular boxes are like $30 for 20. Wtf is up with that anyway? I never buy the 20rd civilian boxes, I just stock up on the LE boxes whenever I find them.

Also red box 75gr 5.56x45 Hornandy TAP is nice to find. I always buy that when I see it too except sometimes when some dealers mark it up 200% because it's "rare." pfft.

Ohh, another thing that is an insta-sale whenever I see it in a caliber I shoot--50rd LE boxes of defensive hollowpoints. They are like $35 for 50 when the regular boxes are like $30 for 20. Wtf is up with that anyway? I never buy the 20rd civilian boxes, I just stock up on the LE boxes whenever I find them.

Also red box 75gr 5.56x45 Hornandy TAP is nice to find. I always buy that when I see it too except sometimes when some dealers mark it up 200% because it's "rare." pfft.

Sounds like your putting in an order before he even opens up his new shop:s0112:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top