JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So one thing that annoys me is talking to gun guys and having them say....

I have a Gisele trigger....a Gisele is an deer like animal
or I have a vee l tor stock on my gun.....
or I have a lee a pold scope on my gun.

So I just wanted to clear up the names

geissele trigger is pronounced (guy's lee) it's German

vltor stock is pronounced (ul tore)
VLTOR is the ancient Roman spelling for the Latin word ULTOR, meaning "Avenger". This word was commonly used to describe the Roman God of War "Mars".

And Leupold scopes are pronounced (loo pole d)

I'm not a grammar Nazi but when someone is telling me about this trigger named geez sale trigger I have no idea what they are talking about.

are there any odd or foreign names I didn't mention? feel free too add them so we can all be on the same page.

Lol. I knew geissele and leupold but didn't know how to pronounce Vltor. I assumed it was vil-tor.
The problem is a lot of people may not know what you are talking about even if you are pronouncing it correctly.
There are others like Heckler & Koch (heckler & "coke" (very gutteral sounding)) I think Sako is pronounced sock-o. Glock is actually pronounced "porcealin pistol that isn't detected by metal detectors and costs more than you make in a month"
Then there's Saiga "Sigh-Guh"

Although it didn't work for that symbol guy (the artist formerly known as Prince that can't be prounced by the english language).
But that's a great idea. Free advertising if everyone corrects people or argues about the pronunciation.

How about the German scopes, Unertl. Pronounced "Er tell"

I always just heard it pronounced "un-er-tel"
Or the people that say M1 garand is gah-rund or something. He pronounced his last name different than everyone else calls it.
What I can't figure out is how the heck do you pronounce "NightForce"??? haha

geissele trigger is pronounced (guy's lee) it's German

Are you sure that's right? If it's German, then it sure looks like you'd pronounce it something like "Gys uh luh" where "Gys" is pronounced like "guys" but with an S sound at the end instead of a Z sound like... like "ice" .... or another way to write it for pronunciation might be gice-uh-luh

Okay, now ya got me curious...
[time passes, searches happen]

So, it appears I was right on the proper German pronunciation, but the person's family has Americanized his name over the years to sound like you said:

Interview with Bill Geissele of Geissele Automatics

So I guess pronouncing it either way (traditional German or Americanized Germam) would be reasonable, but when you say "It's German," it doesn't really help people who speak German pronounce it the way you think it should be pronounced. ;-)

When it come to things like this, I go with the Linus Torvalds (Creator of the Linux Operating System) school of thought on name pronunciation:

YouTube

(which is basically to say it the way it would be said in the region where you are or relative to the language you're speaking)

:)

I always just heard it pronounced "un-er-tel"
Or the people that say M1 garand is gah-rund or something. He pronounced his last name different than everyone else calls it.
What I can't figure out is how the heck do you pronounce "NightForce"??? haha

Likewise, from a German pronunciation point of view, I would think it would be the way you said, or like Uhn-air-tuhl. I've never seen a silent "un" in German. Maybe its another Americanized name.

As for Heckler and Koch, I never really thougt to say it "coke," but I guess if a person knows how to make something sound gutteral, then it could come out right. If I were to try and write it how it sounds, I'd say Cookh or maybe Koohk. The word means "cook" (as in, a person who cooks food) and is said similar to cook, but with your throat and tongue lower and more open.

Then again, even in Germany, dialects can vary how a word is said, so even a simple, common word like "Ich" (meaning "I"), which is properly pronounced with a harsher ickh sound (for lack of a better way to write it) in "Hoch Deutch" ("High" or "proper" German), is said like "Ish" in many regions.

This all reminds me of a news report I remember laughing at when the news reporter was speaking in clear English with a "normal" West Coast (US) accent (which means "no accent" to me) until he got to "In international news, a group in Knee-Ha-Rah-Wah..." the last word (Nicaragua) being said with a heavy accent. LOL. Did he say the word right? I suppose he did... ;-)

Oh well, the important thing in speech is that thoughts are communicated, so regardless of how it's said, if the meaning is coming across correctly, that's what's important, right? BTW, LOL. K? Thx. ;-)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads