JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In 1994 I paid $15.65 for a box of 1,000 and sold it at the gun show last weekend for $150.00. I took the price tag off first!

Wow! What was the value of the dollar comparatively in 1994 than almost 30 years later?

Edit: basic online search says $1 in 1994 is about $1.77 today. I don' know if I agree with that, but that is what it said.

$16-$17 a brick is how much l remember paying for primers back in 1993 when l got started. Blue Dot was less than $20 a pound as well. .357 bulk boolits were about $7 per hundred for jacketed hollow points.

$30/1k for Federal Gold Metal Match Small Pistol
Primers...

I refuse to pay covid/panic pricing for primers, honestly they're not worth more than $30/1k. Pricing above that mean's someone along the way is seriously lining their pockets. If necessary, I'll cut back on the quantity of center fire shooting I do to help conserve the stash I have. Should be sufficient to get me to the other side and more same pricing...

Just got 5k, for $258 with tax, hazmat and shipping. But in this environment, I'll take it.
I wish Sportsman's still had them on their site, I like $24 bricks. Before today, I think the most I paid $35ish at Cabela's.

I bought 2k for $150/k a couple months ago, not for myself though, it actually was for a friend. He desperately wanted some and was willing to pay it. I felt bad because if I'd had plenty extra I'd have given him some of mine.

I used to be very particular, and cheap, and couldn't bear to pay more than about $25/k. I've come to realize that some of us (myself included) can be really cheap bastards, to our own detriment. In reality, it was never really about money, but rather more about pride or a sense of frugality. So I'll pay $25 but not $35 for the primers I need? It takes me quite a while to load and shoot 1,000 rounds; what's $10 compared to that? That's barely cheap lunch at McDonald's!

In the future whenever things get back to some kind of normal (assuming they do), if I see primers that I can use on the shelf at the store for $10 more than I think they should be, I'll buy them without blinking an eye.

$7.95 IIRC.
I stand (self) corrected! :oops: When Angie Buttrick "The Sight Man" was still in Renton, he had stacks of Winchester primers in various sizes. I bought several thousand at the outrageous price of $12/1000. Might have been less on clearance, but that is the tags they have.

He also had several boxes of 1000 new W-W .308 factory primed brass. I believe he was asking $175. Fair enough. After that, I was pretty well set.

To think that the primers alone are worth nearly that today... :eek:

have been recently going through some of dads reloading stuff he left to me. primers, .79/ hundred. cci 500 and 400, still have the price sticker on them. speer 110gr. .308 varminter bullets,(for the 94 win.) 7.38/box. i personally have paid up to .04 apiece for primers on the obama downslide. i'm good with that.

During the last primer scarcity maybe around 2012 or so I had carefully accumulated at reasonable cost just before the big price jump, enough for my then current needs. At a gun show I came across a 5k box with a just right price on it (forget the $ now) but took a quick look and took them home. Getting ready to fit them in my primer stash, I discovered the middle 3 sleeves had the middle 2 or 3 k of each box artfully removed. Meaning I paid 20-30% more. Of course I felt outraged & cheated. No wonder the seller was smiling that way. I put eyes ON the goods these days.

During the last primer scarcity maybe around 2012 or so I had carefully accumulated at reasonable cost just before the big price jump, enough for my then current needs. At a gun show I came across a 5k box with a just right price on it (forget the $ now) but took a quick look and took them home. Getting ready to fit them in my primer stash, I discovered the middle 3 sleeves had the middle 2 or 3 k of each box artfully removed. Meaning I paid 20-30% more. Of course I felt outraged & cheated. No wonder the seller was smiling that way. I put eyes ON the goods these days.
did that "seller" have any resemblance to schumer, pelosi', newsome, brown, inslee, etc? they took 2k or 3k primers "off the streets" at a gun show.
they are snakes and will use all means to deplete you of what you need. joe will pay them to go to a gun show near you, and use your taxable dollars to f yourselves.
i ranted. jmo.
$40.00 per k tops.

Where are all the members who paid $125, $150, $175 and up for primers?

Either they are ashamed or are all too busy reloading and going to the range while others are remembering the good ole days.

One of my close friends that has been reloading for 15+ years; is in the camp of load and shoot when prices come back down.
He refuses to buy new firearms, is constantly hunting the classified ads. He gave me a referral to Northwestfirearms.com and I am grateful.

Meanwhile, he did enjoy shooting my 18cpr reloads last weekend :s0114:

I started shooting in 2020. I quickly started reloading because a $12 box became $15. I was too cheap ;) then I watch retail sell for $20, $25, $30 then $35 per 50 with weekly limit (within 8 months).

My goal is FMJ pistol for less than 20cpr and never more than 24cpr (including shipping). Not a great price.. but compared to current retail?

Don't misunderstand; I would be happy to shoot FMJ pistol loads for 15cpr or so. Are those days over? I'm hopeful we can get closer to that number over the next years.

In general; Prices are increasing for raw materials and many expect inflation to occur in 2021 at a faster than normal rate.

Thank you to all who are "too cheap" for sitting this one out. You are the ones who will determine... in the future, the lower prices we all hope will come. Please let us know when you start buying agan... that will be the new low price.

Where are all the members who paid $125, $150, $175 and up for primers?
Right freaking here lol. Most I've paid is $135 per k. That said I'm using them for reloads that cost $1 each in normal times. Unobtainable ammo these days. So still not a bad deal since they cost me about $0.50 a round.

That said being able to shoot even if its expensive is better than no shooting

Either they are ashamed or are all too busy reloading and going to the range while others are remembering the good ole days.

One of my close friends that has been reloading for 15+ years; is in the camp of load and shoot when prices come back down.
He refuses to buy new firearms, is constantly hunting the classified ads. He gave me a referral to Northwestfirearms.com and I am grateful.

Meanwhile, he did enjoy shooting my 18cpr reloads last weekend :s0114:

I started shooting in 2020. I quickly started reloading because a $12 box became $15. I was too cheap ;) then I watch retail sell for $20, $25, $30 then $35 per 50 with weekly limit (within 8 months).

My goal is FMJ pistol for less than 20cpr and never more than 24cpr (including shipping). Not a great price.. but compared to current retail?

Don't misunderstand; I would be happy to shoot FMJ pistol loads for 15cpr or so. Are those days over? I'm hopeful we can get closer to that number over the next years.

In general; Prices are increasing for raw materials and many expect inflation to occur in 2021 at a faster than normal rate.

Thank you to all who are "too cheap" for sitting this one out. You are the ones who will determine... in the future, the lower prices we all hope will come. Please let us know when you start buying agan... that will be the new low price.
I was wondering if this thread was turning in to a gloat thread. I am also thankful these guys are holding out on primer purchases otherwise prices would be even higher.

I agree with your reloading math.

Right freaking here lol. Most I've paid is $135 per k. That said I'm using them for reloads that cost $1 each in normal times. Unobtainable ammo these days. So still not a bad deal since they cost me about $0.50 a round.

That said being able to shoot even if its expensive is better than no shooting
Don't feel bad about paying $135 for a brick. They have apparently sold for much much more on gunbroker. You are spot on about that primer cost being muted by overall savings in more expensive rounds.

Don't feel bad about paying $135 for a brick. They have apparently sold for much much more on gunbroker. You are spot on about that primer cost being muted by overall savings in more expensive rounds.
I wouldn't reload .223 with them but my 6.5 Grendel. Heck Yasss. I love that round btw. It's amazing.

Sitting in a hospital for days not so much. I'd avoid kidney stones like over priced primers:s0124:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top