JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I caved to 1K at above my desired price.
I should hang my head low in shame but 3 years of intense schooling had me on my heels with proper preparations for the current administration.

I'll probably sit on them until things come back around to normal and factor them in as a loss and write it off.

Waiting is my strong game now.

IIRC I paid about $75 for some BR primers, which was about the going retail price at the time.

I won't pay more than about half that for standard primers now - I can wait.
The wait could be a while. More covid checks are coming, we could have another sandy hook event, possible inflation, fears of ammo taxes and bans on sale of lead ammo, etc. Many here are advising others to stock up while times are good. For those new to reloading or who didn't prepare during the last good times, my advice is do it now. I am taking my own advice. I would rather pay $75 or $100 a brick now and find them cheaper in the store next month than not buy them now and end up paying $200 a year from now.

The wait could be a while. More covid checks are coming, we could have another sandy hook event, possible inflation, fears of ammo taxes and bans on sale of lead ammo, etc. Many here are advising others to stock up while times are good. For those new to reloading or who didn't prepare during the last good times, my advice is do it now. I am taking my own advice. I would rather pay $75 or $100 a brick now and find them cheaper in the store next month than not buy them now and end up paying $200 a year from now.

I don't do a lot of reloading - only "special" loads (low power light loads for small game) and not in volume. I have about 1-2K of each size primer which is more than enough for my needs. I have invested much more in factory ammo - mostly self-defense ammo and I have enough for SHTF (over 50K rounds) - if I run out of that ammo then I will probably be dead anyway. I have enough for hunting even if I resume hunting, which I only would if SHTF.

So like I said, I can wait.

I don't do a lot of reloading - only "special" loads (low power light loads for small game) and not in volume. I have about 1-2K of each size primer which is more than enough for my needs. I have invested much more in factory ammo - mostly self-defense ammo and I have enough for SHTF (over 50K rounds) - if I run out of that ammo then I will probably be dead anyway. I have enough for hunting even if I resume hunting, which I only would if SHTF.

Can I ask your age range?
A.20-30
B.30-40
C.40-50
D.50-60
E.60-70
F.70-80

I'm just curious as I'm in the B group myself and have a 10k stash but want more. Reloading is the only reasonable way now

My advice is directed more toward those who are much less prepared. There are potentially a lot of things that could keep prices high for some time. I think the previous stimulus checks have helped fuel some this ammo/component bubble. Now many are getting back to work, getting covid checks and if they have kids even more government money. My guess is this bubble doesn't pop anytime soon.

A.20-30
B.30-40
C.40-50
D.50-60
E.60-70
F.70-80

I'm just curious as I'm in the B group myself and have a 10k stash but want more. Reloading is the only reasonable way now
Any number of laws could come about that would make ammo even harder to get (ask CA residents). Reloading will be a way to avoid some pain but only if you have or can easily get components.

A.20-30
B.30-40
C.40-50
D.50-60
E.60-70
F.70-80

I turn 67 this year. My preps are for myself, my daughter and her husband, so I prep enough ammo for the three of us. None of us shoot all that much, and I have about 35K of rimfire ammo, probably about the same centerfire (I have an inventory - I think the CF is about that same amount but I would have to add it up). Most of our practice/fun shooting would be with rimfire (I have .22 RF conversions for defensive pistols) and I don't anticipate using more than about 1K of rimfire ammo per year, so I have plenty to last beyond my expected lifetime.

The rest of my ammo is very common calibers. Primary defensive is 5.7x28 (I have over 10K of that), and it goes up from there with various other common calibers up to 7.62x51. I also have .45-70, .30-30, .30-06 and so on.

Reloading for me would be loading light power loads for .30-30, .223 and so on. E.G., I have loaded subsonic loads 110gr hardcast (with gas checks) for .308 Win. Most of that will be with Trail Boss (I have four 9 oz cans of that IIRC) and if that runs out I have Bullseye, etc.

reloading supply's are coming in but hoarders and scalpers are clearing the shelfs ,
example on delivery days bimart and sportsmans have a line as soon as the door opens
in the inventory is on the shelf then they call friends and family and clean the place out .
Then relist here for $150 per K primers
I know this because 2 weeks ago I walked into Sportsmans at 9:05 am and plenty of ammo , some powders and about 50K primers sitting on the shelf at $28 per K primers might even of been $23 per K
BUT there was a group of guys calling everyone they know to come down and buy more for them instead of taking 1K and walking away
I ask Sportsman counter guy he said stuff comes in but THE SAME guys and his relatives routinely come in
and buy them out , Bimart said the same thing ,
I would not be suppressed if employs tell there friends what days to comes ahead of time
but the stuff does come in at normal price just it is cleared out by the time anyone gets there
to me this is a big issue ,
I would bet many of the ones clearing the shelf do not even reload just they have the time to buy it first and sale it back to us at a 500% mark up .

reloading supply's are coming in but hoarders and scalpers are clearing the shelfs ,
example on delivery days bimart and sportsmans have a line as soon as the door opens
in the inventory is on the shelf then they call friends and family and clean the place out .
Then relist here for $150 per K primers
I know this because 2 weeks ago I walked into Sportsmans at 9:05 am and plenty of ammo , some powders and about 50K primers sitting on the shelf at $28 per K primers might even of been $23 per K
BUT there was a group of guys calling everyone they know to come down and buy more for them instead of taking 1K and walking away
I ask Sportsman counter guy he said stuff comes in but THE SAME guys and his relatives routinely come in
and buy them out , Bimart said the same thing ,
I would not be suppressed if employs tell there friends what days to comes ahead of time
but the stuff does come in at normal price just it is cleared out by the time anyone gets there
to me this is a big issue ,
I would bet many of the ones clearing the shelf do not even reload just they have the time to buy it first and sale it back to us at a 500% mark up .
This will continue until the primers don't sell for inflated prices in the secondary markets and other retailers are getting regular shipments in. It will be a long time before that happens. I believe there is going to be a shift towards buying powder and maybe primer prices will come down a bit. I am surprised powder isn't selling for more these days. It's a wierd phenomenon that primers were selling for many multiples higher than old pricing but powders have maybe doubled or tripled at the high end.

Primer manfs are going to raise prices. I believe some already have. I am guessing Sportsman's has a contract with fixed pricing that allows them to continue buying and selling at old prices.

i bought primer years ago between the first and second obama terms at 30 per k. i bought many of them. did i hoard, contribute to gouging? no, there were lots on the shelves. did i ask my dumbass if i ever wanted to be caught like this again? you bet. so i bought them. i agree with posters above that note scalpers in line at daylight. this is just me, the mfgs (the few that there are) are not gonna play the 10,000 primer game. i think they will produce a bubblegumload of primers, and not ship until everyone can get primers. i'm sure the prices will jump to 4 to 5 cents for having to play this marketing and stragety game. this may not happen for a year or two. keep in mind, those few mfgs have to supply the loaded ammo market as well as the reloaders. anyone want to open a new hazmat primer mfg plant under a biden/harass admin? i sincerely hope that any new demo gun owners are asking why they can't find ammo for their new gun. just me.

Just got my brick of Winchester AR small rifle primers from MidwayUSA last week. Most all primers have gone up to $59.99, limit of 1k per day and after you add on shipping and taxes, it was $86/1000 delivered. More primers were just available this morning at Midway, including CCI Bench Rest primers at $94.99/1000, but again, 1k per day and another $$$ for taxes, shipping and HazMat. Powder Valley also is limiting 1k purchases, when primers are available. If you can find them locally at any price, get them when you can cause it doesn't look like they're coming down in price for a long time.

Just got my brick of Winchester AR small rifle primers from MidwayUSA last week. Most all primers have gone up to $59.99, limit of 1k per day and after you add on shipping and taxes, it was $86/1000 delivered. More primers were just available this morning at Midway, including CCI Bench Rest primers at $94.99/1000, but again, 1k per day and another $$$ for taxes, shipping and HazMat. Powder Valley also is limiting 1k purchases, when primers are available. If you can find them locally at any price, get them when you can cause it doesn't look like they're coming down in price for a long time.
Hazmat and shipping will be a killer on 1000 primer purchase. I have seen them sitting in the classifieds at $100 a brick which might seem like a deal if new prices keep rising with limits of 1000.

ONE BILLION GAZILLION DOLLARS - Misc - quickmeme

Hazmat and shipping will be a killer on 1000 primer purchase. I have seen them sitting in the classifieds at $100 a brick which might seem like a deal if new prices keep rising with limits of 1000.
I ordered from midway this morning. $86 is still less than current classifieds with deliver to my door.
Sometimes they put out 5k cases as well.

The most I have paid was $32. And I fall into the 60 to 70 year old category. When the price is right I try to have a year or two supply on the shelf. Right now I'm shooting that supply. DR

Probably $38 ish range for myself when all I could find were the 'match' grade, higher end primers at the time.

I'll back ya on this bet !

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top