JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This gun does not have a model number anywhere on it. The serial number on the crane between the cylinder and frame is five digits: 75XXX. I've seen models 14-4 that look like this but they have that stamped by the serial number. I'm thinking that is what I have but just older. Does anyone know the year of manufacture?
thanks for any help.

38SPC.jpg

38spc3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

The model number is stamped behind the crane. ( I think that's the right terminology)

Swing open the cylinder and look in the area of the frame just under the barrel's forcing cone.

Maybe you already knew that. If so, sorry.

It looks like a model 15 but with a target front sight and goofy hammer. The barrel roll marks aren't that old late 70's- early 80's. Might be a "Frankensmith" that barrel pin looks messed with. I would inspect the frame and grip screws also for tampering. Send those pics to the S&W forum, someone will know.

The model number is stamped behind the crane. ( I think that's the right terminology)

Swing open the cylinder and look in the area of the frame just under the barrel's forcing cone.

Maybe you already knew that. If so, sorry.

This one only has the serial number at that location.

My guess is that you have a K-Frame .38 Target Masterpiece, also known as a pre-Model 14. From the serial number, it appears to have been made around 1949. The grips are not original to the gun, they would have more than likely had diamond magna grips (not targets as the trigger and hammer are not target variations). I see the fourth screw on the front of the trigger guard. There should also more than likely be a fifth screw on the top of the side plate. Value in this condition would be in the $400 to $550 range, depending on the buyer. Very nice gun!

My guess is that you have a K-Frame .38 Target Masterpiece, also known as a pre-Model 14. From the serial number, it appears to have been made around 1949. The grips are not original to the gun, they would have more than likely had diamond magna grips (not targets as the trigger and hammer are not target variations). I see the fourth screw on the front of the trigger guard. There should also more than likely be a fifth screw on the top of the side plate. Value in this condition would be in the $400 to $550 range, depending on the buyer. Very nice gun!

Thanks for the info. I added a couple more pictures. One of the screw in front of the trigger guard and one of the side plate.

It could probably handle the +P loads, but I wouldn't make a habit of it. If you had it by the bedstand with some +P in it, fine, but that's not the ammo I would feed it at the range...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top