JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
16" unless it is an NFA registered SBR.

=====================================================

thanks Burt, that what I say, but I can't link any proof from the any federal websites or the ATF site.

I need a good solid link to an undeniable site, otherwise this guy wont listen cause he has this which says 18" VVVVV

ATF Online - Firearms - National Firearms Act (NFA)

The NFA was originally enacted in 1934. Similar to the current NFA, the original Act imposed a tax on the making and transfer of firearms defined by the Act, as well as a special (occupational) tax on persons and entities engaged in the business of importing, manufacturing, and dealing in NFA firearms. The law also required the registration of all NFA firearms with the Secretary of the Treasury. Firearms subject to the 1934 Act included shotguns and rifles having barrels less than 18 inches in length, certain firearms described as "any other weapons," machineguns, and firearm mufflers and silencers.

I know it was changed in 1960 to 16", just looking for a good citation to throw at my Bud.

Burt is absolutely correct. Here is a link to the ATF site detailing what defines an SBR & SBS.

"A firearm that meets the definition of a SBR consists of a rifle that has a barrel less than 16 inches in length. A SBS consists of a shotgun that has a barrel less than 18 inches in length."

Anything that is 16in or longer is totally legal. Your friend probably confused the rifle and shotgun lengths. It's 18in for shotguns.

Don't forget overall length comes into play as well!

Burt is absolutely correct. Here is a link to the ATF site detailing what defines an SBR & SBS.

"A firearm that meets the definition of a SBR consists of a rifle that has a barrel less than 16 inches in length. A SBS consists of a shotgun that has a barrel less than 18 inches in length."

Anything that is 16in or longer is totally legal. Your friend probably confused the rifle and shotgun lengths. It's 18in for shotguns.

Since we are on the subject and there appears to be a few knowledgeable people in here, I'll ask.

I've been told the proper way to measure this is to close the action of the shotgun or rifle, and measure from the bolt face to the end of the barrel. It makes sense, as different rounds are different length, I figure measuring from the bolt face was a "better safe then sorry" sort of thing.

Bolt face to end of BBL is right.
16"-ers usually measure 16.25.

Probably good to err on the long side unless one wants to be Randy Weaver'd

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR