JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One summer a few years back, I got pretty good with a Ruger 77, .243win. Got consistent hits on a 12in pie pan, at 600yds. My local range only goes out to 300yds, so I get 3in groups with my .308 sniper rifle that far. Next time I get out to the high desert, we'll see what it can really do.
... Larry, I wanna go bunny hunting with you sometime.:s0114:

Skimming through the other posts here I'd modestly have to say that I'm the champion 7.62x51mm long range rifle shot of this group by several hundred yards! During the late 70's, and prior to reaching our patrol area, the boat I was on surfaced to have the crew familiarize themselves with our "new" M-14 rifles.

For some reason the Navy had taken our Thompsons away and replaced them with M-14s. Did you ever try to hustle an M-14 through a bulkhead door on a submarine? The length of the rifle makes it more then a little awkward. We were all much happier when the M-14s were finally replaced by M-16s.

Anyway there were no submerged, surface or air contacts and those of the crew that were so inclined went topside onto the turtle deck to shoot. It was a bright, sunny day with winds out of the NE and the boat was just making headway.

My marksmanship was uncanny: indeed almost frightening! I fired about sixty rounds total and it didn't matter if the range was 300 yards or 3,000; every single round of mine punched cleanly into my target; the Atlantic Ocean.

Years ago when I lived in Idaho, I used to shoot my 1903 Springfield across a canyon (about 300 yards) at rockchucks. 130 gr. HP, at about 3100 fps, scope cranked up to 9, I'd aim about 8" over the target and connect regularly. Well, one time my wife was spotting for me, and there was a meadowlark sitting on top of a bush out where the 'chucks were. I said, "Watch this!" and squeezed one off. I lost sight of it when the rifle recoiled, but my wife yelled "You hit it!"! Just a puff of feathers, she said. Like an idiot, I said, "I did?" when I should have said, "Of course I did!". Now, I'm not proud of shooting a little bird, and it's not something I do anymore, but that was the best shot I ever made.

A bunch of you guys have far greater experience shooting at long range than I do.
Probably 10 years ago I was shooting my Trapdoor Carbine H&R replica at 400+ (or was it -) yards. It was a long ways slightly down hill. 400 gr bullet @ 1300fps. I was shooting at a football sized rock in a hillside. Took a few shots to get the feel for the range. Boom!...........Whack! When I hit it, the bullet drove the rock into the hillside and the dirt above it covered it up. Very cool.
Handgun?
Both my Blackhawk .41 Mag and my CBOB at 110 yards. Same deal. Boom!.....
Whack! smacked a rock on the hillside and shi... Stuff tumbled. :) Why is that so much more satisfying than a good group at 50 ft?

Next weekend I'm taking my .375 Ruger out and I am going to do some 200 yd shooting. Really looking forward to that!

In 1963 while instructing some RVN troops the finer arts of sniper training, their class concluded with a real live fire situation.

Having to set the example I used VietCong as targets, my longest shot was at 350 yards using a Swiss 6.55 with a scope, my target went down for good. All my students graduated with flying colors and no Maggies Drawers.

In 1965 I had the experience of a shot at 725 yards with a M-1 Garrand .30 cal. of course the weapon was well worked over, that target went down for good also.

I think the shot that was the most impressive was at 5 yards with my 1911 Colt .45 cal. that target went down for good also. It's different when you see the other guys seeing his last sign, "You, his Grim Reeper".

God Bless Our Troops

M/Sgt Marshall Tall Eagle Serna

In the early Ninties when I was inlisted in the Corps, we went on a little boat trip over to the Med. W did some cross training with the Spanish, the French, The Tunisians, and the IDF. While in Israel we went to an IDF Firing range and shot about a thousand rounds out of our M16s. At the end of the day I asked the Range Officer if I could try to shoot my M16 offhand at 500m, after he laughed for a bit he ask if I thought I could hit anything, of course I said "**** Ya" He cleared the line and I hit a 500m target 5 out of 5 rounds. not sure I could do it now I seem to be a little less steady.

In 1963 while instructing some RVN troops the finer arts of sniper training, their class concluded with a real live fire situation.

Having to set the example I used VietCong as targets, my longest shot was at 350 yards using a Swiss 6.55 with a scope, my target went down for good.

Either a Swedish 6.5x55 or a Swiss 7.5x55....whatever it was, it's always good to shoot impressively well in front of an audience

tac

800 yards with a SKS at a keg- 550 yards at a steel silhouette with my AR.

The longest shot I've witnessed was 1400 yards by a dude who lives around me somewhere. I'm not positive about this but I think he has a Cheytac or something similar. Him and his "spotter" had this computer system hook up that they were using. He said the longest shot he'd taken was 1800 yards. If any of you guys ever shoot up around Hagg Lake/Scoggins Valley you'll probably run into him sometime. Just listen for the biggest BOOM you've ever heard.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top