JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Woke up one morning hearing my geese all in an uproar, looked out my bedroom window and saw a German shepherd had the gaggle cornered down by the woods in a draw, against a tight fence. Three ganders were trying to fend him off.... I grabbed my Ruger 10/22 Carbine with the newly mounted cheap 3x9 scope, flipped off the safety, put the crosshairs on the critter's shoulder, raised the gun up a few inches, and let fly... hit him first shot, range about 175 yards. He jumped up, howled, and started running, limping but moving pretty fast, across my range. I fired four more times, hitting him at least three more times. He turned and ran straight away from me, moving slower, up a low hill. One more shot, hit him, then quit because he was getting too close to the brow of the hill, and I couldn't shoot with no backstop. This from a modified offhand position, sitting on my bed in my skivvies! Sheriff came by a few hours later, wondering what the shooting was about... I told him, and he said "I told her that if your dog was after his geese, I wouldn't even come back to tell you about it". Gotta love Washington's stock laws...... the dog didn't make it, seems I'd placed about four hard hits.... Wished I'd had my .30-06 handy, but I didn't. I've always thought that range with a short barrelled .22 wasn't bad.... particularly given my shooting position. Hitting him on the run didn't make me very sad, either. Too bad that owner hadn't taken the time to train the critter, or keep him fenced.

I shot the 600 yard line at tri county for the first time today. I hit quite a few in the 9 and a few in the 10 ring. We were using the 300yard target at 600. The gun I was using is a 16" bull barrel AR shooting a 75 grain bullet. I had to dial in 19.25 moa of elevation.

400yds with my .243 2/3 shots and some crappy scope (unsure of the brand, but it's for sure a POS). Right before that I hit 350yds for 3/3 shots. Both longest ever for me; at the gun range near La Grande. Now I want a gun that will do longer as I like rifle shooting now...

Range KD-22 at Fort Lewis. 1,000 yards, paper target. iron sites using a M1A1 .308 with 42 clicks on the rear site. Shot the match three years in a row with the Washington Army National Gaurd. Took a third place the third year. With my deer rifle, Win model 70 short action .308 26" heavy barrel, I can hold a 4" group with 6 rounds at 200 yards.

My partner and I use the clay targets at 500, 600, 700, and 800 yards and shoot 308 with nightforce 5 1/2-22 mildot reticle scopes. I prefer my model 12 savage for the job but joe likes his remington 700 308. If the wind isnt blowing we are able to break them all day long with only a few misses. 41.3 gr IMR 4064 178 a max rem 91/2 rem brass seems to be the go to load in all out 308 rifles.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top