JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nothing special but a few months ago I was amusing fellow campers hitting eggs resting on a fence post at 50 + yards with my 1861 Springfield .58 Zouave (great splatter!). I can regularly hit cans at 150 - 175 yards with it benchrested. I hit a 16 oz propane cylinder at a measured 100 yards with my 1851 Navy .36 a while back (#6 of five previous tries!). Also several years ago I owned a .44 mag Super Blackhawk with the 8 3/8" barrel and with good handloads and practice I could hold an 8" group at 300 yards.

With a rifle 2 rock chucks with 3 shots at 800 yards (was paced so it could be +/- a couple yards) and (non .50 BMG) a blow up Easter Bunny at 1600 yards. With a .50 BMG rifle 2100 meters. With direct fire using an 81mm mortor; 1650 meters. I'm also a long range high power shooter and love 800,900 and 1000 yard matches. Also a lot of rocks way out yonder.......

Larry Gibson

man, you guys are studs. other than the 100yd targets at the range, farthest shot i ever made was at 80 yds. hit a pinecone sitting on a stump with a 4" 586 shooting 158gr jfn.

Guess I'm lucky to out where there is lots of National Forest and BLM land. I also be long to a local club that has a 600 yard range (for matches) with the main range being 200 yards and open every day. When I lived in NE Oregon the varmint hunting club I was a member of had a place in the NF only 11 miles from town. That was where we had campouts and shoots (family affairs). The shoots were multiple events and encompased .22s, handguns, shotguns and rifles. The events were fun shoots and were geared around varmint shooting. A side match one year was the 1600+ yard Easter Bunny shoot. We drew cards for the shooting order and then paid 50 cents to the pot for 1 shot. That continued until someone hit the bunny. Lots of fun and hoorawing each other as you tried to shoot and of course when you missed. Lots of spotting scopes set up watching and the bunny was away on a hillside so the puffs of dirt could be seen from bullet strikes (misses). First year I won about halfway through the third go around and won about $12 or so. I was shooting my long rang rock chuck rifle then, a 6.5-280. The next year I won shooting a .50 cal rifle a couple friends and I built (50 BMG, only thing factory was the trigger assembly and the new M2 barrel). As reigning "bunny" champian I was just shooting for fun. I actually hit the bunny with a 6 moa at 500 yards capable tracer!. The tracer shot fairly straight to 800-1000 yards then started looping around and curved right into the bunny! I felt bad about hitting the bunny but everyone was laughing so hard at the shot and the bunny's bad luck nobody cared! It was a great time back in the late '70s.

Larry Gibson

Couldn't say. That was in the Macho Days when no one wore ear protection. The only things ringing were my ears. :p That + 4 yrs as a jet mech.= 30% hearing loss.:( Someone was saying something about setting fires shooting tracer. We set quite a few with .30 cal.AP. The fire dept. would come out to the range and watch them burn....No way were they going to drive out into those old impact areas.:s0131:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top