JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Many years ago I had a Virago 920. For those of you not into motorcycles, it's an old Japanese V-twin cruiser. It was a really smooth, comfortable ride and made beautiful music as we cruised around sunny southern Californian canyons, freeways and streets. Not bad looking either. Had a ton of torque. Damn I loved that bike. One day an "uninsured motorist" coming from the opposite direction decided to turn left in front of me and then stop. I laid on the brakes but just caught the rear bumper of his car with my front wheel. The impact was hard enough to bend the triple-clamp on the bike. Now, this bike wasn't worth much to begin with and I didn't have a lot of money back then. "Uninsured motorist" meant that he was in the country illegally and I'd never collect a dime from him. The damage exceeded the value of the bike, and it was no longer roadworthy. So I had no ride, not a lot of money and a bike that would not sell in the classifieds. I did the only thing I could think of: I called a junkyard. Before I could finish explaining what I had, the guy asked me what was the least I would take for the bike. I started to laugh at his arrogance, and then the realization came over me: He knew exactly where I stood and so did I. He was going to hang up if I tried to highball him. I asked for a number that left me nearly sick to my stomach. He took it. To this day I hate that guy, but I totally understand what he was doing and where he was coming from.

I'm not sure that my story relates directly to the subject, but I thought you might enjoy it anyway. Who knows? Maybe you don't have an uncle who talks about bubblegum that nobody even asked about.

I get these same bs replys for ads about the softball bats I sell. I really hate the "least you will take" one. I usually reply "whats the very most you will give", if i reply at all.

I had a garage sale once and had a basket of stuff which said "free". A guy came buy and wanted the whole basket. I told him the basket wasn't part of the deal as it was just holding all the items together. He put it down and walked off. Seems even free wasn't a good enough deal for him, he wanted more.

I learned that garage sales are a stupid waste of time and now take the tax deductions giving crap away to Salvation Army.

I'm reading a lot of posts from what we call "deal killers" on here. These are people who let their emotions rule their business dealings. If you really want/need to sell something, don't do anything to stop negotiations. If you don't really want to sell it, please don't list it.

Getting butt hurt because someone asks me what is the least I will take only assures me that I'll kill the deal. Staying in the saddle, keeping calm and winding up with a price that's acceptable gets the job done.

I agree that the first person to mention a price loses, but the price is either in the ad or it's an auction. If someone asks me what's the least I'll take, I simply say the price is in the ad but they're welcome to make an offer. What's so hard about that?

Cheers

Seriously? Butt hurt? All I need to not deal is to be irritated. I'll sell the item, never fear, but I'm under no compulsion to sell. Sell it to whom I like. "Please don't list it" Bull! Who died so you could ascend to Queen of classifieds? Laughable!!!

I take no offense knowing I rant all the time here. It does make me think about paying a bit more attention to my typing in my rants....Screw that though.
I have not been able to get on here in a couple days and those posts cracked me up...even though I know I am a big ranter so I find it more amusing than I should....JERKS!

Seriously? Butt hurt? All I need to not deal is to be irritated. I'll sell the item, never fear, but I'm under no compulsion to sell. Sell it to whom I like. "Please don't list it" Bull! Who died so you could ascend to Queen of classifieds? Laughable!!!

Yep. I will sell them when I sell them. I will be a picky jerk about who I sell them to.

I do not need crack money so they will sell to the buyer that I know I can trust with a current concealed permit and no gangster lingo involved. Word..40cal out

I usually post WTS add's with my rock bottom dollar amount. I have had really good experiences with everyone I have met up with on NWFA. For me outdoors traders was a joke with a bunch of flake's , Armslist is ok I always consider NWFA as my home base for bartering much better stand up people here.

I usually post WTS add's with my rock bottom dollar amount. I have had really good experiences with everyone I have met up with on NWFA. For me outdoors traders was a joke with a bunch of flake's , Armslist is ok I always consider NWFA as my home base for bartering much better stand up people here.

Well I am taking the advice and just putting my lowest price with "firm" on my adds. WE shall see how it goes as I want my new 1911 but do not want to play the lowball game.

I think more folks on this forum should take that advice. Seriously, if you're gonna get butt hurt over an honest question, make your sale price "Firm".

I never realized how many people would be seriously injured (emotionally, haha) by the question "what's the least you'll take?" I'm not gonna stop if that's that tack I feel is called for, just gonna laugh if the "seller" gets flippant, whiny, irritated, butt hurt, or whatever.

BTW, I'd MUCH rather have someone ask me "What's the least you'll take?" than ask me "Will you take $400 for the $800 gun you are selling?". Both questions are trying to get you to reveal you're lowest price, the former is direct, the later involves a lot more back and forth.

I think more folks on this forum should take that advice. Seriously, if you're gonna get butt hurt over an honest question, make your sale price "Firm".

I never realized how many people would be seriously injured (emotionally, haha) by the question "what's the least you'll take?" I'm not gonna stop if that's that tack I feel is called for, just gonna laugh if the "seller" gets flippant, whiny, irritated, butt hurt, or whatever.

BTW, I'd MUCH rather have someone ask me "What's the least you'll take?" than ask me "Will you take $400 for the $800 gun you are selling?". Both questions are trying to get you to reveal you're lowest price, the former is direct, the later involves a lot more back and forth.

Even though I am going with my low price I STILL hate that question. I always allow people to make an offer..well did in the past and the back and forth is reasonable when my M&P is 450 and they offer 400.

I lowered my Kahr 40 from 300 to 250 "FIRM" today and have received a few lower offers already. It still looks new and has factory case, papers, 3 spare mags (they come with one and cost 40 a pop), and only 300 rounds through it. If I wanted one I would just say "I will take it" at that price. It is a low price but I really really want my new 1911 so I will let that one go for cheap but to lowball me on that is insulting and pathetic.

I would just make all of your WTS add's price is firm , dont even bother with putting in OBO sound's like it causes you too much frustration :mad:.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top