JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Like the title says, what is the "dumbest" gun you've bought? Not "worst" - I'm not talking about mechanical failures or crap customer service or anything like that. I mean DUMB. Like the "why the hell would you own one of those?" kinda dumb. I will extend this to really dumb accessories as well.

The Heritage Rough Rider in 22lr with 16" barrel. Fun, cheesy, and makes me laugh but I'd put it in the dumb category. No logical reason to buy it or for it to exist.

Not my picture:
20210616_111507-scaled.jpg

The one I can think of that comes close is the shorter barreled Heritage Rough Rider in 22lr threaded for a suppressor (I hear it's louder with a suppressor; causes more gas to blow back) with fake carbon fiber grips and a rail, but I didn't end up buying it so that's not my entry.

Picture for fun though:
rough-rider-black-tactical-cowboy.jpg

Last Edited:
I bought a SCCY 9mm last year. Why, I don't know. I guess just because it was cheap and functional.

And it is. It's really not a bad gun; I've owned worse. If it was the only gun I had or could afford, I'd probably be happy with it. I have other, better guns though, way better. It was pretty dumb to buy it. I'll never use it.

HANDS DOWN THE WINNER OF THIS AWARD is the Tec-9 I traded into I shot one 30 rd magazine in my dads backyard couldn't hit a thing with it and 2 weeks later traded it to some guy at a local gun show for a nice little Llama .380 the min 1911. Could hit a damn thing with it either but at least I didn't feel like some looser gang banger shooting it.

A long time ago...
A fella had a .22 rifle that I wanted.

Unfortunately it came as a bundle sale.
Firearm #1 was a Mossberg 46 series rifle...good shape and what I wanted...
Firearm #2 was a H&R single shot 12 gauge shotgun...decent gun...good trade bait , back in the day....

Firearm #3 was the Ugh / dumbest of the bunch...a Jennings .22 pistol...with the box and paperwork plus an extra magazine.
( To its credit...it looked unfired )

Kept the Mossberg for awhile...had fun with it ...traded it much later. down the road...
Cleaned up the H&R....traded it at the next gun show I went to.

Held onto the Jennings for quite a number of years....on a whim...I took it to a gun show and a table vendor offered me $50 bucks for it...
I thought either he was joking or the God awful Hotdogs the food truck was selling was affecting his good sense....
Neither was the case....and I took his $50.
Andy

My very first firearm purchase was a Jennings 22. That was about 40 odd years ago. I still have it, have fired it some over the years, and don't intend to sell it anytime soon. It is more of a nostalgia thing, as it was THE thing that got me into firearms.

20220707_173029.jpg

First off to answer the question: a rubber band gun. I had pellet and bb guns at the time so idk dumb kid stuff.

Secondly the Jennings 22 is the answer to this thread told in 3rd person. I once had a 6" Colt Python my co worker sold me because he didn't know the history of it and thought the frame was cracked. At the time (many years ago) I didn't even really know exactly what it was but figured it out fast and was super anxious to see it. He told me the frame was cracked, and for the price he was asking I didn't really care! I wasn't 100% sure if it was or wasn't but I was pretty sure it wasn't but without taking the grips off couldn't be 100%. Anyway. I pay his ludicrously low price and then he immediately is like cool, I'm headed to the pawn shop to get another pistol. I'm like OK, what the heck why not...
He literally bought a used .22 Jennings,
Just as I thought I got home took the grips off and it was the side plate, not a crack. So he literally traded a 85-95% condition python for a Jennings. He was shortly fired very soon after from my work for attendance which he was a new hire.
very glad I took that off the streets from that idiot. Glad I saved it from being butchered and mistreated. Yes I did research it and look it up afterwards to make sure it wasn't stolen...
I mean before I "stole" it. Haha. AKA did my civic duty.

and if by chance Adam your reading this, sorry.. I don't have it anymore.

I got SOO many amazing gun deals from that job.

Beyond that a Beretta 950 Jetfire I think it was. The little .25 cal toy. I bought that one for $60 I think from my best friend. My dad had the .32 bobcat (I may have gotten those flip flopped) that thing was even worse. He was a little embarrassed he paid full price for his and it was worse. Those calibers are pretty useless and expensive for anything but plinking. It was my very first pistol though I kinda wish I still had it. Been in love with true pocket pistols ever since. Never had another one though. :(

The Heritage Rough Rider in 22lr with 16" barrel. Fun, cheesy, and makes me laugh but I'd put it in the dumb category. No logical reason to buy it or for it to exist.

Not my picture:
View attachment 1235135

The one I can think of that comes close is the shorter barreled Heritage Rough Rider in 22lr threaded for a suppressor (I hear it's louder with a suppressor; causes more gas to blow back) with fake carbon fiber grips and a rail, but I didn't end up buying it so that's not my entry.

Picture for fun though:
View attachment 1235138
I bought one of those "Tactical Cowboy" guns because it was dumb. It's funny to mount one of my suppressors on it with the red dot I mounted on it and let someone shoot it. They wonder what the hell the purpose really is. I know that a revolver can't be suppressed (except Nagant) but I like stupid guns.

I bought a Davis D-380
I traded it to a guy at my local range for a used SOG multi-tool.
I think we were both laughing to ourselves about how we screwed the other guy. The multi-tool is in one piece, has no rust and still works. I'll bet good money the same can't be said of the Davis

Last Edited:
I bought a Ruger MK 1 that was gold plated. A guy traded it in to the LGS thinking it was a cool James Bond "Man with the Golden Gun" knockoff. I owned it for a year and got tired of it. Used it as a partial trade for a Colt .22 New Frontier.

This is a question I, quite literally, am struggling to answer considering the wacky ones in recent memory.

As the horrid Thunderstruck was already mentioned above, that one springs to mind — certainly different, but an utter piece of crap. However, I'm not sure if it fits into the thread, because it did have mechanical issues (e.g., keyholes, damn near impossible to extract casings, accuracy that is minute-of-zip-code, manufacturer support nonexistent, etc.).

The Serbu Super Shorty likely fits the bill though. Totally impractical. Unpleasant to shoot. Weird looking. But, yah, still had to acquire one; or at least I thoughts so, evidently, back then. Mechanically, it works as advertised, but it is pointless beyond door breaching (can't think of a reason why I would need that) or defense at bad breath range, but it does double as a flare-gun.

The rest of the wacky ones (e.g., various NFA builds, yuge bore revolvers, full-auto(s), my brief fascination with derringers many years back, etc.) there is at least some reason for them, though some folks would probably consider it "dumb". But I like(d) them, so, good enough.

Last Edited:
It's hard to narrow it down, there have been so many! Top of mind are:
- Phoenix HP25A (proof that CA compliant pistols are a joke)
- NAA .22WMR folding single-action revolver (seemed like a good idea, but decided it was basically a ND waiting to happen)
- HiPoint 45 Carbine and Hightower Armory bullpup stock kit (I couldn't knock it till I tried it, so I did... and I was right)

I remember the Phoenix HPs. I bought one in .25 ACP / 6.35×16㎜SR because a buddy of mine had one in .22LR and liked it. His ran like a top; my two-bit variant one was a stunning piece of crap. Traded it in whilst buying a Glock.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top